    Do I have to tabindex *every* field? - or can I get away with tabindex-ing just the first
    X of N fields?

    , Jun 23, 2003

  2. wrote:

    > To aid navigation field-by-field of a form, I was told to use
    > tabindex=N.

    Why?

    > Do I have to tabindex *every* field?

    No.

    > - or can I get
    > away with tabindex-ing just the first X of N fields?

    Why would you use it at all? You should first ask the people who gave
    you the advice _why_ they recommend it. Maybe they saw your page - we
    didn't.

    The simple method is to put the fields into a form so that when read
    linearly (linearizing tables when needed), they appear in a suitable
    order. That's actually the only reliable method, since tabindex is not
    universally supported.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 23, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > .
    > To aid navigation field-by-field of a form, I was told to use tabindex=N.
    > Do I have to tabindex *every* field? - or can I get away with tabindex-ing just the first
    > X of N fields?

    Try it.

    --
    Hywel Never knowingly understood
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jun 23, 2003

    ..
    Thanx for the info.
    I was interested in the feature becos use of the Tab key is faster than positioning by
    clicking a mouse of course and in some of the forms there can be links to other pages.
    Thanx again.

    >> To aid navigation field-by-field of a form, I was told to use
    >> tabindex=N.

    >Why?
    >
    >> Do I have to tabindex *every* field?

    >No.
    >
    >> - or can I get
    >> away with tabindex-ing just the first X of N fields?

    >Why would you use it at all? You should first ask the people who gave
    >you the advice _why_ they recommend it. Maybe they saw your page - we
    >didn't.
    >
    >The simple method is to put the fields into a form so that when read
    >linearly (linearizing tables when needed), they appear in a suitable
    >order. That's actually the only reliable method, since tabindex is not
    >universally supported.

    , Jun 24, 2003
  5. spaghetti Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I was interested in the feature becos use of the Tab key is faster than

    positioning by
    > clicking a mouse of course and in some of the forms there can be links to

    other pages.
    > Thanx again.

    Most browsers will naturally tab through the fields in the order they are
    presented in HTML. The order they are in HTML should be logical enough to be
    understood without relying on visual placement whatsoever. So your forms
    will tab properly if you code them properly and considerately.

    spaghetti, Jun 24, 2003

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I was interested in the feature becos use of the Tab key is faster than

    >positioning by
    >> clicking a mouse of course and in some of the forms there can be links to

    >other pages.
    >> Thanx again.

    >Most browsers will naturally tab through the fields in the order they are
    >presented in HTML. The order they are in HTML should be logical enough to be
    >understood without relying on visual placement whatsoever. So your forms
    >will tab properly if you code them properly and considerately.

    Well, Sir, I like to think I do; however, in each admin suite, at the top of each input or
    choice page, I put a number of links to other pages containing functions which the
    operator might wish to use. Without the tabindex feature (again, thanx to everyone) the
    TAB key will cycle through the IE6 address field and then each of these links before
    reaching the first input field.

    , Jun 24, 2003
  7. rf Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > ><> wrote in message
    > >> I was interested in the feature becos use of the Tab key is faster

    than
    > >positioning by
    > >> clicking a mouse of course and in some of the forms there can be

    links to
    > >other pages.
    > >> Thanx again.

    > >Most browsers will naturally tab through the fields in the order they

    are
    > >presented in HTML. The order they are in HTML should be logical enough

    to be
    > >understood without relying on visual placement whatsoever. So your

    forms
    > >will tab properly if you code them properly and considerately.
    > >

    > Well, Sir, I like to think I do; however, in each admin suite, at the top

    of each input
    > page, I put a number of links to other pages containing functions which

    the operator might
    > wish to use. (I choose deliberately to put them at the top.) Without the

    tabindex
    > feature (again, thanx to everyone) the TAB key will cycle through the IE6

    address field
    > and then each of these links before reaching the first input field.

    Sir, that is what the tab key is _supposed_ to do.

    Sir, that is how viewers who do not use a mouse navigate a site.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 24, 2003
  8. wrote:

    > in each admin suite, at the top of each input or
    > choice page, I put a number of links to other pages containing
    > functions which the operator might wish to use.

    - "Doctor, it hurts if I do _this_."
    - "Then don't do that."

    > Without the
    > tabindex feature (again, thanx to everyone) the TAB key will cycle
    > through the IE6 address field and then each of these links before
    > reaching the first input field.

    And that's what will keep happening on browsers that do not support the
    tabindex attribute.

    There are several ways to deal with "navigation links":
    - leave them out (one contextual link at the bottom is usually
    sufficient - there's a difference between "might wish to" [according
    to page designer's opinion] and "will"
    - precede them by a "skip navigation" type of link
    - put them at the bottom of the page
    - put them last in the HTML markup and use CSS positioning to put them
    elsewhere visually; the tabbing order will be by the markup order,
    not visual rendering.
    (Some people will tell you to focus() in the first input field using
    JavaScript, but it will often hurt when it works, causing the user lose
    input if he has started typing fast.)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 24, 2003
  9. In article <>,
    says...
    > .
    > To aid navigation field-by-field of a form, I was told to use tabindex=N.
    > Do I have to tabindex *every* field? - or can I get away with tabindex-ing just the first
    > X of N fields?

    Further to other responses, I like the following javascript approach:

    http://www.html-faq.com/htmlforms/?entryfocus

    Which avoids the 'losing focus on load' problem.

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jun 25, 2003