Table against list

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 14, 2004

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Paul Furman Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Should I use a list or a table to show the names of the regions of Italy
    > which are shown on the page
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html

    I think this explains how to get the syntax to read from a table, per
    your previous question about the syntax anylizer thing:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.5.4

    "
    Since HTML does not include elements that identify objects such as
    "client", "telephone number", "email address", etc., we use DIV and SPAN
    to achieve the desired structural and presentational effects. We might
    use the TABLE element as follows to structure the information:

    <!-- Example of data from the client database: -->
    <!-- Name: Stephane Boyera, Tel: (212) 555-1212, Email: -->

    <DIV id="client-boyera" class="client">
    <P><SPAN class="client-title">Client information:</SPAN>
    <TABLE class="client-data">
    <TR><TH>Last name:<TD>Boyera</TR>
    <TR><TH>First name:<TD>Stephane</TR>
    <TR><TH>Tel:<TD>(212) 555-1212</TR>
    <TR><TH>Email:<TD></TR>
    </TABLE>
    </DIV>

    <DIV id="client-lafon" class="client">
    <P><SPAN class="client-title">Client information:</SPAN>
    <TABLE class="client-data">
    <TR><TH>Last name:<TD>Lafon</TR>
    <TR><TH>First name:<TD>Yves</TR>
    <TR><TH>Tel:<TD>(617) 555-1212</TR>
    <TR><TH>Email:<TD></TR>
    </TABLE>
    </DIV>
    "
    Paul Furman, Feb 14, 2004

  3. "Paul Furman" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > Should I use a list or a table to show the names of the regions of

    Italy
    > > which are shown on the page
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html

    > I think this explains how to get the syntax to read from a table, per
    > your previous question about the syntax anylizer thing:
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.5.4
    >
    > "
    > Since HTML does not include elements that identify objects such as
    > "client", "telephone number", "email address", etc., we use DIV and SPAN
    > to achieve the desired structural and presentational effects. We might
    > use the TABLE element as follows to structure the information:
    >
    > <!-- Example of data from the client database: -->
    > <!-- Name: Stephane Boyera, Tel: (212) 555-1212, Email: -->
    >
    > <DIV id="client-boyera" class="client">
    > <P><SPAN class="client-title">Client information:</SPAN>
    > <TABLE class="client-data">
    > <TR><TH>Last name:<TD>Boyera</TR>
    > <TR><TH>First name:<TD>Stephane</TR>
    > <TR><TH>Tel:<TD>(212) 555-1212</TR>
    > <TR><TH>Email:<TD></TR>
    > </TABLE>
    > </DIV>
    >
    > <DIV id="client-lafon" class="client">
    > <P><SPAN class="client-title">Client information:</SPAN>
    > <TABLE class="client-data">
    > <TR><TH>Last name:<TD>Lafon</TR>
    > <TR><TH>First name:<TD>Yves</TR>
    > <TR><TH>Tel:<TD>(617) 555-1212</TR>
    > <TR><TH>Email:<TD></TR>
    > </TABLE>
    > </DIV>

    "

    Does that apply to a list of regions?

    Is it better to use a list as on
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test1.html
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test2.html
    or to give a structure to the table?
    May-be I could use the table to divide the regions in 4 classes: those which
    are in Northern Italy, those which are situated in the central part of
    Italy, those which are in the South and the ones which are islands.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.italymap.dk
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 14, 2004