Table alignment

Discussion in 'HTML' started by OccasionalFlyer, Aug 1, 2011.

  1. I tried to post this Friday night but for some reason it has not shown
    up that I can see, so if that's wrong, sorry.

    I'm trying to debug a problem with a group of tables I created to
    improve the appearance of information on an annual meeting of an
    academic group I'm the volunteer web person for (www.ibr-bbr.org near
    the bottom of the page). I'm having two problems with the tables. I
    have three main tables and the first of the three contains two tables.
    I have two problems that come from the code below.
    1. In the first main table I can't get the table header to span 3
    columns.

    2. After the first inner table, all the following tables are too far
    to left and not the same size. Is there a simple way to require them
    all to start at the same point. I am guessing the width attribute
    would make them all the same size.

    Thanks for suggestions.

    Ken

    font-family: &quot;Times New Roman&quot;,&quot;serif&quot; margin-
    left: 0in; margin-right: 0in; margin-top: 0in;">
    <th colspan="3">
    Nov. 18 - Friday
    </th>
    4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    Chair: Ruth Anne Reese, Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY
    New IBR Research Groups </a>
    4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    Chair: Paul Ferris <BR/> Bethel Seminary, St. Paul, MN
    Session #: P18-302 - <a href="emerging.abstract.doc">Emerging
    Scholarship on the Old Testament </a>
    &nbsp;
    7:00 PM Annual Meeting
    7:00 PM
    Lee McDonald, IBR Presidnt
    Welcome
    7:05 PM
    Robbie Castleman <BR/> John Brown University
    Opening Prayer and Scripture Reading
    7:20 PM
    Danny Carroll
    Main Paper
    8:20 PM
    K. K. Yeo
    Responding
    <BR/>
    <BR/>
    <th colspan="3">
    Nov. 19 Saturday 8:30 A.M.-12:30 P.M. IBR Morning Session
    </th>

    I apologize if this looks goofy on your screen. It looks goofy on
    mine.
    OccasionalFlyer, Aug 1, 2011

  2. OccasionalFlyer

    Sjeef Guest

    "OccasionalFlyer" <> schreef in bericht
    > I tried to post this Friday night but for some reason it has not shown
    > up that I can see, so if that's wrong, sorry.
    >
    > I'm trying to debug a problem with a group of tables I created to
    > improve the appearance of information on an annual meeting of an
    > academic group I'm the volunteer web person for (www.ibr-bbr.org near
    > the bottom of the page). I'm having two problems with the tables. I
    > have three main tables and the first of the three contains two tables.
    > I have two problems that come from the code below.
    > 1. In the first main table I can't get the table header to span 3
    > columns.
    >
    > 2. After the first inner table, all the following tables are too far
    > to left and not the same size. Is there a simple way to require them
    > all to start at the same point. I am guessing the width attribute
    > would make them all the same size.
    >
    > Thanks for suggestions.
    >
    > Ken

    > font-family: &quot;Times New Roman&quot;,&quot;serif&quot; margin-
    > left: 0in; margin-right: 0in; margin-top: 0in;">
    > <th colspan="3">
    > Nov. 18 - Friday
    > </th>
    > 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    > Chair: Ruth Anne Reese, Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY
    > New IBR Research Groups </a>
    > 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    > Chair: Paul Ferris <BR/> Bethel Seminary, St. Paul, MN
    > Session #: P18-302 - <a href="emerging.abstract.doc">Emerging
    > Scholarship on the Old Testament </a>
    > &nbsp;
    > 7:00 PM Annual Meeting
    > 7:00 PM
    > Lee McDonald, IBR Presidnt
    > Welcome
    > 7:05 PM
    > Robbie Castleman <BR/> John Brown University
    > Opening Prayer and Scripture Reading
    > 7:20 PM
    > Danny Carroll
    > Main Paper
    > 8:20 PM
    > K. K. Yeo
    > Responding
    > <BR/>
    > <BR/>
    > <th colspan="3">
    > Nov. 19 Saturday 8:30 A.M.-12:30 P.M. IBR Morning Session
    > </th>
    >
    > I apologize if this looks goofy on your screen. It looks goofy on
    > mine.

    Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    Result: 43 Errors, 1 warning(s)

    Is it not better to solv this first?

    --
    Regards,

    Gerard Schaefers

    Website: http://www.sjeef.eu

    ' Vergeten' groenten? Nieuwe rubriek:
    http://www.sjeef.eu/Nederlands/Recepten/Groenten/00groenten.html
    Sjeef, Aug 1, 2011

  3. On Jul 31, 10:32 pm, "Sjeef" <sjeeef@(REMOVETHIS)gmail.com> wrote:
    > "OccasionalFlyer" <> schreef in berichtnews:
    >

    > > I tried to post this Friday night but for some reason it has not shown
    > > up that I can see, so if that's wrong, sorry.

    > > I'm trying to debug a problem with a group of tables I created to
    > > improve the appearance of information on an annual meeting of an
    > > academic group I'm the volunteer web person for (www.ibr-bbr.org near
    > > the bottom of the page).  I'm having two problems with the tables.  I
    > > have three main tables and the first of the three contains two tables.
    > > I have two problems that come from the code below.
    > > 1. In the first main table I can't get the table header to span 3
    > > columns.

    > > 2.  After the first inner table, all the following tables are too far
    > > to left and not the same size. Is there a simple way to require them
    > > all to start at the same point. I am guessing the width attribute
    > > would make them all the same size.

    > > Thanks for suggestions.

    > > Ken

    > > font-family: &quot;Times New Roman&quot;,&quot;serif&quot; margin-
    > > left: 0in; margin-right: 0in; margin-top: 0in;">
    > > <th  colspan="3">
    > > Nov. 18 - Friday
    > > </th>
    > > 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    > > Chair: Ruth Anne Reese, Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY
    > > New IBR Research Groups </a>
    > > 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    > > Chair: Paul Ferris <BR/> Bethel Seminary, St. Paul, MN
    > > Session #: P18-302 - <a href="emerging.abstract.doc">Emerging
    > > Scholarship on the Old Testament </a>
    > > &nbsp;
    > >  7:00 PM Annual Meeting
    > >  7:00 PM
    > >  Lee McDonald, IBR Presidnt
    > >  Welcome
    > >  7:05 PM
    > >  Robbie Castleman <BR/> John Brown University
    > >   Opening Prayer and Scripture Reading
    > > 7:20 PM
    > > Danny Carroll
    > > Main Paper
    > > 8:20 PM
    > > K. K. Yeo
    > > Responding
    > > <BR/>
    > > <BR/>
    > >   <th colspan="3">
    > > Nov. 19 Saturday 8:30 A.M.-12:30 P.M. IBR Morning Session
    > >    </th>

    > > I apologize if this looks goofy on your screen.  It looks goofy on
    > > mine.

    > Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    >       Result: 43 Errors, 1 warning(s)
    >
    > Is it not better to solv this first?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Gerard Schaefers
    >
    > Website:http://www.sjeef.eu
    >
    > ' Vergeten' groenten?  Nieuwe rubriek:http://www.sjeef.eu/Nederlands/Recepten/Groenten/00groenten.html- Hide quoted text -

    Gerard,

    Yes, I'd always rather solve my errors myself first. I don't have a
    tool that will parse HTML and tell me errors and when I bring up the
    Error Console in FIrefox it doesn't say anything of interest. Thanks.

    Ken
    OccasionalFlyer, Aug 2, 2011
  4. OccasionalFlyer

    MG Guest

    >> Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    >> Result: 43 Errors, 1 warning(s)
    >>
    >> Is it not better to solv this first?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Gerard Schaefers

    > Yes, I'd always rather solve my errors myself first. I don't have a
    >tool that will parse HTML and tell me errors and when I bring up the
    >Error Console in FIrefox it doesn't say anything of interest. Thanks.
    >
    >Ken

    Use these 2 pages to validate:
    http://validator.w3.org/
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    The first validates html, the second css.

    MG
    MG, Aug 2, 2011
  5. OccasionalFlyer

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    OccasionalFlyer <> wrote:

    snip long quote

    > Yes, I'd always rather solve my errors myself first. I don't have a
    > tool that will parse HTML and tell me errors and when I bring up the
    > Error Console in FIrefox it doesn't say anything of interest. Thanks.

    There is something you *can* do, and that is not quote so much
    stuff that no one will read. Even a Google Grouper can do this if
    they just try a little.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 2, 2011
  6. OccasionalFlyer

    Sjeef Guest

    "OccasionalFlyer" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Jul 31, 10:32 pm, "Sjeef" <sjeeef@(REMOVETHIS)gmail.com> wrote:
    >> "OccasionalFlyer" <> schreef in
    >> berichtnews:
    >>> I tried to post this Friday night but for some reason it has not
    >>> shown up that I can see, so if that's wrong, sorry.

    >>> I'm trying to debug a problem with a group of tables I created to
    >>> improve the appearance of information on an annual meeting of an
    >>> academic group I'm the volunteer web person for (www.ibr-bbr.org
    >>> near the bottom of the page). I'm having two problems with the
    >>> tables. I have three main tables and the first of the three
    >>> contains two tables. I have two problems that come from the code
    >>> below.
    >>> 1. In the first main table I can't get the table header to span 3
    >>> columns.

    >>> 2. After the first inner table, all the following tables are too far
    >>> to left and not the same size. Is there a simple way to require them
    >>> all to start at the same point. I am guessing the width attribute
    >>> would make them all the same size.

    >>> Thanks for suggestions.

    >>> Ken

    >> Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    >> Result: 43 Errors, 1 warning(s)
    >>
    >> Is it not better to solv this first?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Gerard Schaefers

    > Gerard,
    >
    > Yes, I'd always rather solve my errors myself first. I don't have a
    > tool that will parse HTML and tell me errors and when I bring up the
    > Error Console in FIrefox it doesn't say anything of interest. Thanks.
    >
    > Ken

    You can validate the HTML and CSS code online with:
    http://http://validator.w3.org/

    Sjeef, Aug 2, 2011