    website, or can I just plug in a .jpg file? If I can just add the .jpg file,
    do I put it into the same field? Almost anyone knows more about this than I
    do, so thanks for your help.
    rigby4, Jul 3, 2006

  2. rigby4

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, rigby4
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > I'm trying to change the background of a table. Do I HAVE to link to a
    > website, or can I just plug in a .jpg file? If I can just add the .jpg file,
    > do I put it into the same field?

    Sorry, your question doesn't make sense. I don't know what you mean
    about putting it "into the same field", or what a link has to do with
    it.

    However, you can certainly use an image as the background for the table
    (which *is* only being used for tabular data, isn't it?). Just add the
    following to your CSS:

    table { background-image: url('path/to/my/image.jpeg');

    http://htmldog.com is a good tutorial site.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:
    Mark Parnell, Jul 3, 2006

  3. rigby4 wrote:
    > I'm trying to change the background of a table. Do I HAVE to link to a
    > website, or can I just plug in a .jpg file? If I can just add the .jpg file,
    > do I put it into the same field? Almost anyone knows more about this than I
    > do, so thanks for your help.

    The HTML of a webpage is not like a Word document where media can be
    embedded, it is more like a script to a play and your media like the
    actors. The 'script' (HTML) just directs where the image is displayed or
    what words are placed, so your must link to your JPG. I hope that
    answer's your question because it is a little unclear what your are asking.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 3, 2006
  4. rigby4

    rigby4 Guest

    Thanks to both of you for your responses. Sorry I was unclear. I'll try
    again. The "url" part says to me (suggests to me?) that whenever my page is
    displayed, it will have to link to the site where I found that background
    picture. Some sites say "please don't link to this site" but they allow me
    to take a copy of their picture. Can I download a copy of their .jpg file
    and put it into my background? How? Hope this is clearer. I do appreciate
    your trying to help me.

    rigby4, Jul 4, 2006
  5. rigby4

    rigby4 Guest

    Thanks, Mark, for pointing me to www.htmldog.com I think it's the most
    basic tutorial I've seen so far and looks like I can learn from it. Rigby

    rigby4, Jul 4, 2006
  6. rigby4 wrote:
    Please don't top-post (putting your response above the quoted material)
    it get the Q&A all mixed up like A&Q!
    > Thanks to both of you for your responses. Sorry I was unclear. I'll try
    > again. The "url" part says to me (suggests to me?) that whenever my page is
    > displayed, it will have to link to the site where I found that background
    > picture.

    yes, in CSS
    ..someClass {
    background-image: url('http://www.SomeOtherDomain.com/background.jpg');
    }

    > Some sites say "please don't link to this site" but they allow me

    Yes that is called 'hot linking', many folks do not like it because
    every time someone views your site, their server must supply the image
    on their dime.

    > to take a copy of their picture. Can I download a copy of their .jpg file
    > and put it into my background? How? Hope this is clearer. I do appreciate
    > your trying to help me.

    Yes, IF the image is not copyrighted, and even if it isn't your should
    ask permission first. Copy it to your site to say an image folder and
    change stylesheet accordingly

    ..someClass {
    background-image: url('/images/background.jpg');

    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 4, 2006
  7. rigby4

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 13:35:32 GMT, "rigby4" <>
    wrote:

    : Can I download a copy of their .jpg file
    : and put it into my background? How?

    http://www.tizag.com/beginnerT/

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Jul 4, 2006
  8. rigby4

    dorayme Guest

    In article <d796b$44aa7afd$40cba7cf$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > to take a copy of their picture. Can I download a copy of their .jpg file
    > > and put it into my background? How? Hope this is clearer. I do appreciate
    > > your trying to help me.
    > >

    > Yes, IF the image is not copyrighted, and even if it isn't your should
    > ask permission first. Copy it to your site to say an image folder and
    > change stylesheet accordingly

    As to how, this is how it is done on a Mac. Click on the pic in
    the browser and hold the button down and drag to wherever you
    want. Desktop is good for first drop. On a Windows machine, I
    guess I would go for right click and choose a likely option from
    the context menu that should come up.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 4, 2006
  9. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <d796b$44aa7afd$40cba7cf$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> to take a copy of their picture. Can I download a copy of their .jpg file
    >>> and put it into my background? How? Hope this is clearer. I do appreciate
    >>> your trying to help me.
    >>>

    >> Yes, IF the image is not copyrighted, and even if it isn't your should
    >> ask permission first. Copy it to your site to say an image folder and
    >> change stylesheet accordingly

    > As to how, this is how it is done on a Mac. Click on the pic in
    > the browser and hold the button down and drag to wherever you
    > want. Desktop is good for first drop. On a Windows machine, I
    > guess I would go for right click and choose a likely option from
    > the context menu that should come up.

    Naw, you can do the same...left click hold and drag and drop on the
    desktop, or you can right-click if you love menus.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 5, 2006
  10. rigby4

    dorayme Guest

    In article <76322$44aaf400$40cba7ba$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > > As to how, this is how it is done on a Mac. Click on the pic in
    > > the browser and hold the button down and drag to wherever you
    > > want. Desktop is good for first drop. On a Windows machine, I
    > > guess I would go for right click and choose a likely option from
    > > the context menu that should come up.

    > Naw, you can do the same...left click hold and drag and drop on the
    > desktop, or you can right-click if you love menus.

    So basically you are saying that Windows isn't completely
    uncool... I need to know this as my daughter's PC, new, cost me
    real money. I scrounge about more cheaply for my Macs because I
    know better what I am doing...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 5, 2006
  11. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <76322$44aaf400$40cba7ba$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> As to how, this is how it is done on a Mac. Click on the pic in
    >>> the browser and hold the button down and drag to wherever you
    >>> want. Desktop is good for first drop. On a Windows machine, I
    >>> guess I would go for right click and choose a likely option from
    >>> the context menu that should come up.

    >> Naw, you can do the same...left click hold and drag and drop on the
    >> desktop, or you can right-click if you love menus.

    > So basically you are saying that Windows isn't completely
    > uncool...

    No the stereotypes don't work for any of the OS'es. One thing MS got
    right was a pretty useful interface (I fear for Vista, AeroGlass is not
    going to make locating that one file in thousands any easier). Sometimes
    little things that I notice when working on Linux, Explorer when you
    expand a tree the window scrolls to display the revealed child nodes
    where Konqueror doesn't. We have a new commercial series running in the
    states where they have a dweeb to be a Bill G. PC and a young 5 o'clock
    be-shadowed MAC with the message that nothing creative can be
    accomplished on a PC...

    This relates to my experience with a MAC

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6553260189868317794

    > I need to know this as my daughter's PC, new, cost me
    > real money. I scrounge about more cheaply for my Macs because I
    > know better what I am doing...

    Just stay away from XP-Home, pony up the bucks and get XP-Pro. I'm still
    very happy with Win2K.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 5, 2006
  12. rigby4

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1b2cf$44abc011$40cba77c$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > This relates to my experience with a MAC
    >
    > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6553260189868317794

    Excellent! I felt some of these things when I first moved from 9
    to X but as nothing compared to my feelings at a PC. Funnily
    enough, the dock is a pet hate of mine that I learn to live with,
    (btw...it is a PC thing! (minimise bar at bottom)). F11 that
    clears the desktop app windows (like Tab clears toolbars in PS
    and Illustrator) is some solace. I never experience much else
    that the fellow in the movie is on about...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 6, 2006
  13. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <1b2cf$44abc011$40cba77c$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> This relates to my experience with a MAC
    >>
    >> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6553260189868317794
    >>

    > Excellent! I felt some of these things when I first moved from 9
    > to X but as nothing compared to my feelings at a PC. Funnily
    > enough, the dock is a pet hate of mine that I learn to live with,
    > (btw...it is a PC thing! (minimise bar at bottom)). F11 that
    > clears the desktop app windows (like Tab clears toolbars in PS
    > and Illustrator) is some solace. I never experience much else
    > that the fellow in the movie is on about...

    I'll tell you nothing compares to how will Linux can kill an errant apps
    without bringing down the OS! Last time I hung Linux was back when I was
    first learning the OS with RedHat 5.2 and I setup Bind improperly...and
    it was totally my fault. Cannot remembering the last time Win2K hung on
    me and I would consider myself a power user. Tons of apps, utilities,
    files, media...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan