Table content alignment

Discussion in 'HTML' started by I.N. Galidakis, Apr 26, 2008.

  1. My apologies if this is a stupid question. I am basically clueless about HTML
    and my website is quite large, so it's a major job to solve my problem properly.

    I have two large pages/articles in deprecated HTML, which contain very large
    tables, with graphics and text.

    IE 6.0.2800 for some reason "weighs" the tables correctly, as a result of which
    all the graphics and text on the pages show arranged neatly.

    Netscape 7.1 on the other hand, seems to give different precedence to some table
    entries (by which it decides for some reason how the rest of the table entries
    appear), as a result of which the table entries are all messed up and
    misaligned. Not always, but often.

    Here are the pages:

    http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/amici.html#colorphotos
    http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/elements.html

    Is there an easy way to force all current browsers to display those pages using
    the alignment IE uses for those tables?

    I don't know how these pages look in other browsers, so if I may ask, do they
    show as in IE?

    Any info very much appreciated.

    Many thanks in advance,
    --
    I.N. Galidakis
    I.N. Galidakis, Apr 26, 2008

  2. I.N. Galidakis

    freelancer Guest

    "I.N. Galidakis" <> wrote in message
    > My apologies if this is a stupid question. I am basically clueless about
    > HTML
    > and my website is quite large, so it's a major job to solve my problem
    > properly.
    >
    > I have two large pages/articles in deprecated HTML, which contain very
    > large
    > tables, with graphics and text.
    >
    > IE 6.0.2800 for some reason "weighs" the tables correctly, as a result of
    > which
    > all the graphics and text on the pages show arranged neatly.
    >
    > Netscape 7.1 on the other hand, seems to give different precedence to some
    > table
    > entries (by which it decides for some reason how the rest of the table
    > entries
    > appear), as a result of which the table entries are all messed up and
    > misaligned. Not always, but often.
    >
    > Here are the pages:
    >
    > http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/amici.html#colorphotos
    > http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/elements.html
    >
    > Is there an easy way to force all current browsers to display those pages
    > using
    > the alignment IE uses for those tables?
    >
    > I don't know how these pages look in other browsers, so if I may ask, do
    > they
    > show as in IE?
    >
    > Any info very much appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > --
    > I.N. Galidakis

    They show ok in FireFox 2. Do people use Netscape now?
    freelancer, Apr 26, 2008

  3. I.N. Galidakis wrote:

    > I don't know how these pages look in other browsers, so if I may ask, do
    > they show as in IE?

    Why don't you install some other browsers?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 26, 2008
  4. I.N. Galidakis

    Bergamot Guest

    I.N. Galidakis wrote:

    > I have two large pages/articles in deprecated HTML, which contain very large
    > tables, with graphics and text.
    >
    > Netscape 7.1 on the other hand, seems to give different precedence to some table
    > entries (by which it decides for some reason how the rest of the table entries
    > appear), as a result of which the table entries are all messed up and
    > misaligned. Not always, but often.

    FYI, NS 7.1 is pretty archaic now. It's hardly worth the trouble of
    trying to figure out why your version is behaving strangely. I assume
    it's your test version of NS7 that you're referring to anyway, not
    someone else using NS7 who complained about it.

    > http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/amici.html#colorphotos
    > http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/elements.html

    I don't see anything like you describe with NS 7.2. That makes me think
    there is something weird with your configuration, not NS7 in general. If
    you really must have this working in your NS7, completely uninstall then
    reinstall it. That might clear it up.

    > Is there an easy way to force

    No. Regardless of what you'd like to do, you cannot force anything on
    any browser.

    > I don't know how these pages look in other browsers, so if I may ask, do they
    > show as in IE?

    You can download and install other browsers yourself. All are free for
    the taking.
    http://www.opera.com/
    http://www.mozilla.com/
    http://www.apple.com/safari/download/
    http://browsers.evolt.org/

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Apr 27, 2008
  5. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > I.N. Galidakis wrote:
    >> My apologies if this is a stupid question. I am basically clueless
    >> about HTML and my website is quite large, so it's a major job to
    >> solve my problem properly.
    >>
    >> I have two large pages/articles in deprecated HTML, which contain
    >> very large tables, with graphics and text.
    >>
    >> IE 6.0.2800 for some reason "weighs" the tables correctly, as a
    >> result of which all the graphics and text on the pages show arranged
    >> neatly.
    >>
    >> Netscape 7.1 on the other hand, seems to give different precedence
    >> to some table entries (by which it decides for some reason how the
    >> rest of the table entries appear), as a result of which the table
    >> entries are all messed up and misaligned. Not always, but often.
    >>
    >> Here are the pages:
    >>
    >> http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/amici.html#colorphotos
    >> http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/elements.html
    >>
    >> Is there an easy way to force all current browsers to display those
    >> pages using the alignment IE uses for those tables?
    >>
    >> I don't know how these pages look in other browsers, so if I may
    >> ask, do they show as in IE?
    >>
    >> Any info very much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance,

    > First, Netscape is essentially a dead product and I wouldn't worry
    > about it.
    >
    > Second, your page has no doctype which means different browsers will
    > react differently (and unreliably). See:
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html
    >
    > Fix that first.

    Thank you. I fixed it and my table problem is now gone.
    --
    I.N. Galidakis
    I.N. Galidakis, Apr 30, 2008