    Haven't found one at download.com.

    Thanks

    Tim W

    Tim W, Jan 30, 2012

  2. On Jan 30, 2:05 pm, Tim W <> wrote:
    > is there a good simple standalone html table editor?
    >
    > I want to prepare a correctly formatted template for a monthly calendar
    > of events so that I can just paste it into the right page on my site
    > every month. Have just tried to do it with Kompozer - what a foul up!
    > and will try MS Excel next but it occurs to me there might be a good
    > little standalone wysiwyg table editor which would generate good html.
    > Haven't found one at download.com.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tim W

    I find the simplest way is to build the table in Excel and then use an
    Excel formula to create the HTML.

    Supposing my table was in columns A, B & C (and it had hedings in row
    1 whichI will ignore), in column D I would put:
    When copied down I've got my bit to copy in.
    If you want something to create the whole table then http://www.asap-utilities.com/
    is very powerful.

    Captain Paralytic, Jan 30, 2012

  3. 2012-01-30 16:05, Tim W wrote:

    > I want to prepare a correctly formatted template for a monthly calendar
    > of events so that I can just paste it into the right page on my site
    > every month. Have just tried to do it with Kompozer - what a foul up!
    > and will try MS Excel next but it occurs to me there might be a good
    > little standalone wysiwyg table editor which would generate good html.

    I had to check out the current version Kompozer to confirm that you are
    right: it wants to add align and valign attributes to each cell (which
    is fine in some cases but surely not always). On the other hand, does it
    really matter? It's not code that you will _read_ often, is it?

    But the task sounds like suitable for a simple generating program rather
    than an editor issue. Something that has existed for ages in Unix as the
    'cal' program, though it generates plain text:

    % cal
    January 2012
    S M Tu W Th F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31

    For example http://freehtmlcalendar.com doesn't look bad, though it
    creates a bit too much markup and it does not do localization by the
    book (well, not by *my* book at least), but it's useful and fairly
    easily modifiable if you know a little bit of JavaScript.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 30, 2012
  4. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 30/01/2012 14:53, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > 2012-01-30 16:05, Tim W wrote:
    >
    >> I want to prepare a correctly formatted template for a monthly calendar
    >> of events so that I can just paste it into the right page on my site
    >> every month. Have just tried to do it with Kompozer - what a foul up!
    >> and will try MS Excel next but it occurs to me there might be a good
    >> little standalone wysiwyg table editor which would generate good html.

    > I had to check out the current version Kompozer to confirm that you
    > are right: it wants to add align and valign attributes to each cell
    > (which is fine in some cases but surely not always). On the other
    > hand, does it really matter? It's not code that you will _read_ often,
    > is it?
    >
    > But the task sounds like suitable for a simple generating program
    > rather than an editor issue. Something that has existed for ages in
    > Unix as the 'cal' program, though it generates plain text:
    >
    > % cal
    > January 2012
    > S M Tu W Th F S
    > 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    > 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    > 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    > 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    > 29 30 31
    >
    > For example http://freehtmlcalendar.com doesn't look bad, though it
    > creates a bit too much markup and it does not do localization by the
    > book (well, not by *my* book at least), but it's useful and fairly
    > easily modifiable if you know a little bit of JavaScript.

    Thanks,

    idk why but I have always found Kompozer impossible. It has driven me to
    learn some markup.

    I am going to get on okay with Excel to my great suprise. If I save my
    little 9cell x 6cell table as an htm file in Excel it generates an
    incredible 3300 lines of markup. About 3000 of those relate to blank
    space underneath the table, but even 300lines I thought was going it
    some. However credit to MSoft when I copy and paste the cells into
    TinyMCE to update my page I get a perfectly sensible result, so job done
    really.

    Still have some queries elsewhere.

    Tim w

    Tim W, Jan 30, 2012