    without the tfoot tags?

    Thanks,
    Miguel

    shapper, Dec 13, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed shapper <> writing
    in news::

    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there any problem if I create a table with thead and tbody tags but
    > without the tfoot tags?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Miguel

    Of coures not. Not every table needs a footer. If you have maybe 10
    records (rows), you might not need a footer. However, if you have 50 rows,
    you might want to have a footer so the user knows what column they are
    looking at when they have scrolled to the bottom of the table.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 14, 2007

  3. Scripsit Adrienne Boswell:

    > Not every table needs a footer.

    Most tables don't. Actually I think I've never seen a living sample of a
    table with a footer on a web page, if "footer" means something marked up
    with <tfoot>. By "living", I mean anything else than pure examples in
    HTML tutorials and things like that. - But I've used the web just a
    little over 15 years, and I have not studied the source code of every
    table that visually contains something that might be a footer.

    > If you have maybe 10
    > records (rows), you might not need a footer. However, if you have 50
    > rows, you might want to have a footer so the user knows what column
    > they are looking at when they have scrolled to the bottom of the
    > table.

    What _is_ a table footer, anyway? Your interpretation of a footer as
    essentially yet another table header, just positioned below the data
    rows and not above them, is a plausible one. But it's somewhat odd,
    since it's really just presentational then. If it's essentially a copy
    of a table header, then what we should really have is a single header
    with some styling that causes it to be presented twice (or several
    times) in different places, under some conditions. Another
    interpretation is that a table footer is more or less a legend or a
    description of notations used in the table cells, or something like
    that.

    I'd say that we need special justification to use <tfoot>, instead of
    needing any particular justification to not use it.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 14, 2007