Table Formatting

Dennis M. Marks

I have a long table that consists of two columns
a b
a b
a b
etc

Is there a simple way the limit the length and force it to wrap into
multiple columns. The sequence would be down the first two columns and
then back to the top and down the second two columns, etc. I would like
to be able to add and delete items without changing the entire code.

Karl Core

Dennis M. Marks said:
I have a long table that consists of two columns
a b
a b
a b
etc

Is there a simple way the limit the length and force it to wrap into
multiple columns. The sequence would be down the first two columns and
then back to the top and down the second two columns, etc. I would like
to be able to add and delete items without changing the entire code.

Not with HTML.
HTML is a markup language. It simply presents things on screen.
What you're looking for is a server-side language to preprocess the
information and then present it on screen.
Your method for doing this relies - and therefore the real answer to your
question - mostly on what your server supports

Dennis M. Marks

Dennis M. said:
I have a long table that consists of two columns
a b
a b
a b
etc

Is there a simple way the limit the length and force it to wrap into
multiple columns. The sequence would be down the first two columns and
then back to the top and down the second two columns, etc. I would like
to be able to add and delete items without changing the entire code.

When displaying a table using <tr> and <td> items display left to right
across columns and then drop down to the next row. I would like a way
to display top to bottom and then move over to the right.
Normal
--------
--------
--------
What I want is
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |

Basically a table rotated 90 degrees.

Toby A Inkster

Dennis said:
Is there a simple way the limit the length and force it to wrap into
multiple columns. The sequence would be down the first two columns and
then back to the top and down the second two columns, etc. I would like
to be able to add and delete items without changing the entire code.

Not as things are. CSS3 introduces dynamically flowing columns, but that's
still a long way off.

Paul Furman

Toby said:
Dennis M. Marks wrote:

Not as things are. CSS3 introduces dynamically flowing columns, but that's
still a long way off.

There must be some way to get things to wrap vertically. Not in a table
of course but Chinese writing goes vertically from right to left top to
bottom (or bottom to top, I forget). They must have some way to
repaginate that. I think I used that word correctly.

Kris

Not as things are. CSS3 introduces dynamically flowing columns, but that's
still a long way off.

There must be some way to get things to wrap vertically. Not in a table
of course but Chinese writing goes vertically from right to left top to
bottom (or bottom to top, I forget). They must have some way to
repaginate that. I think I used that word correctly.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes Chinese goes from right to left, top to bottom. By far not
all. No Chinese websites have this. They have text from left to right,
horizontal lines. Maybe an image here and there with vertical text in
it, but mostly for decorational purposes.

This is what my Chinese girlfriend says.