    Dennis M. Marks
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/
    Replace domain.invalid with dcsi.net

    Dennis M. Marks, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Dennis M. Marks

    Karl Core Guest

    "Dennis M. Marks" <> wrote in message
    news:010320040900576523%...
    > I have a long table that consists of two columns
    > a b
    > a b
    > a b
    > etc
    >
    > Is there a simple way the limit the length and force it to wrap into
    > multiple columns. The sequence would be down the first two columns and
    > then back to the top and down the second two columns, etc. I would like
    > to be able to add and delete items without changing the entire code.

    Not with HTML.
    HTML is a markup language. It simply presents things on screen.
    What you're looking for is a server-side language to preprocess the
    information and then present it on screen.
    Your method for doing this relies - and therefore the real answer to your
    question - mostly on what your server supports

    --

    Karl Groves
    http://www.karlcore.com
    Karl Core, Mar 1, 2004

  3. In article <010320040900576523%>, Dennis M.
    Marks <> wrote:

    > I have a long table that consists of two columns
    > a b
    > a b
    > a b
    > etc
    >
    > Is there a simple way the limit the length and force it to wrap into
    > multiple columns. The sequence would be down the first two columns and
    > then back to the top and down the second two columns, etc. I would like
    > to be able to add and delete items without changing the entire code.

    When displaying a table using <tr> and <td> items display left to right
    across columns and then drop down to the next row. I would like a way
    to display top to bottom and then move over to the right.
    Normal
    --------
    --------
    --------
    What I want is
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |

    Basically a table rotated 90 degrees.

    Dennis M. Marks, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Dennis M. Marks wrote:

    > Is there a simple way the limit the length and force it to wrap into
    > multiple columns. The sequence would be down the first two columns and
    > then back to the top and down the second two columns, etc. I would like
    > to be able to add and delete items without changing the entire code.

    Not as things are. CSS3 introduces dynamically flowing columns, but that's
    still a long way off.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Mar 1, 2004
  5. Dennis M. Marks

    Paul Furman Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:

    > Dennis M. Marks wrote:
    >

    >>Is there a simple way the limit the length and force it to wrap into
    >>multiple columns. The sequence would be down the first two columns and
    >>then back to the top and down the second two columns, etc. I would like
    >>to be able to add and delete items without changing the entire code.

    > Not as things are. CSS3 introduces dynamically flowing columns, but that's
    > still a long way off.

    There must be some way to get things to wrap vertically. Not in a table
    of course but Chinese writing goes vertically from right to left top to
    bottom (or bottom to top, I forget). They must have some way to
    repaginate that. I think I used that word correctly.
    Paul Furman, Mar 2, 2004
  6. Dennis M. Marks

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Furman <> wrote:

    > > Not as things are. CSS3 introduces dynamically flowing columns, but that's
    > > still a long way off.

    > There must be some way to get things to wrap vertically. Not in a table
    > of course but Chinese writing goes vertically from right to left top to
    > bottom (or bottom to top, I forget). They must have some way to
    > repaginate that. I think I used that word correctly.

    Sometimes Chinese goes from right to left, top to bottom. By far not
    all. No Chinese websites have this. They have text from left to right,
    horizontal lines. Maybe an image here and there with vertical text in
    it, but mostly for decorational purposes.

    This is what my Chinese girlfriend says.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Mar 2, 2004