    it will only allow just so much text & pictures, etc., and neither collapses or expands despite it's content.
    Jeez...I hope that makes sense!
    Thanks in advance

    The Magician, May 31, 2005

  2. The Magician wrote:

    > I would like to know how you can "lock" the table using Dreamweaver, so
    > that it will stay exactly the size you have it, so it will only allow just
    > so much text & pictures,

    Sounds like you have a rather poor template there. Tables are not layout
    tools:

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    You should probably also have a read of:

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, May 31, 2005

  3. The Magician

    The Magician Guest

    In article <d7ha9a$si5$1$>, says...
    > The Magician wrote:
    >

    > > I would like to know how you can "lock" the table using Dreamweaver, so
    > > that it will stay exactly the size you have it, so it will only allow just
    > > so much text & pictures,

    > Sounds like you have a rather poor template there. Tables are not layout
    > tools:
    >
    > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
    >
    > You should probably also have a read of:
    >
    > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    Thanks for your quick response David, but I went to those links, and basically...it may have well been in Chinese.
    It's a bit deep for me.
    As far as the template...I dunno if it's good, bad or indifferent...but it's what I started creating the site with.
    Basically...in real simple terms...is there a way to keep each of the "box's height"...the same exact size on every page?
    No matter if you remove or add text...?
    Here's a link to a sample page from the site I'm messing with. I would like to keep everything exactly like you see it, on everypage except the
    homepage. That's slightly different due to the large banner I've created.

    http://www.themagician8.com/Serenity/index4.htm

    If you hit any top button except for the Home button... all the page/table/frame whatever it's all called...is the same size in height.
    I'd like to keep it hat way because the contents of each page will be very minimal, and it makes for a neat & uniform look.
    If not...one page would be long, the other shorter, the other shorter sttill due to the content.
    I'd like them all...in a laymen's kinda terms..."the same 10x12 inch box".
    I'd like that inner blue content box to stay the same height even if it had no text.
    (if you notice...it still has the sample text inside each...I haven't added the content yet.)
    I've even tried setting a height for that table (it only lists a width in Dreamweaver), and figured maybe if I did that...it would stay a fixed
    height...but after removing the text and saving it...the height shrunk again.
    If what is needed is a CSS, can I make one from the pages that I've already setup?
    How do I go about that?
    I had tried selecting everything and saving it as a .css file, which it did...but nothing happened to the page or changed when I tried to delete the
    sample text...I resaved the html page, and the table height shrunk due to no text.
    Again...I hope that makes sense.
    Thanks again David.

    The Magician, May 31, 2005
  4. The Magician wrote:

    > Thanks for your quick response David, but I went to those links, and
    > basically...it may have well been in Chinese. It's a bit deep for me.
    > As far as the template...I dunno if it's good, bad or indifferent...but
    > it's what I started creating the site with. Basically...in real simple
    > terms...is there a way to keep each of the "box's height"...the same exact
    > size on every page?

    Well, you can specify a height with the CSS height property, but then you
    need to use the overflow property to specify what to do when there isn't
    room in the box for the text. The only sensible option is to add
    scrollbars, and that's a terrible design. Users with nice large windows
    like not having to scroll as much, giving them a tiny box will annoy many
    of them.

    To complicate matters, overflow doesn't play nicely with table data cells,
    so if you continue abusing tables in the fashion you have to jump through
    more hoops too add meaningless extra markup to set the height and overflow
    on.

    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.themagician8.com/Serenity/index4.htm

    > If what is needed is a CSS, can I make one from the pages that I've
    > already setup? How do I go about that?

    http://css.nu/pointers/index.html#Tutorials

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, May 31, 2005
  5. The Magician

    The Magician Guest

    In article <d7hev5$4tp$1$>, says...
    > The Magician wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for your quick response David, but I went to those links, and
    > > basically...it may have well been in Chinese. It's a bit deep for me.
    > > As far as the template...I dunno if it's good, bad or indifferent...but
    > > it's what I started creating the site with. Basically...in real simple
    > > terms...is there a way to keep each of the "box's height"...the same exact
    > > size on every page?

    > Well, you can specify a height with the CSS height property, but then you
    > need to use the overflow property to specify what to do when there isn't
    > room in the box for the text. The only sensible option is to add
    > scrollbars, and that's a terrible design. Users with nice large windows
    > like not having to scroll as much, giving them a tiny box will annoy many
    > of them.
    >
    > To complicate matters, overflow doesn't play nicely with table data cells,
    > so if you continue abusing tables in the fashion you have to jump through
    > more hoops too add meaningless extra markup to set the height and overflow
    > on.
    >
    > > http://www.themagician8.com/Serenity/index4.htm

    > http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.themagician8.com/Serenity/index4.htm
    >
    > > If what is needed is a CSS, can I make one from the pages that I've
    > > already setup? How do I go about that?

    > http://css.nu/pointers/index.html#Tutorials

    Hmmm...oh well, guess it'll have to stay as is. But that HTML validator thingy said something about not being some kind of "doc type".
    How do I fix that in Dreamweaver?
    Again...even though I've had a website of my own up for a few years...your really dealing with a novice here.
    None of the stuff on the validator made any sense to me really, except for I get a sense that the webpage needed some kind of html "dogtag" stating
    it's a "regulation webpage that's had it's shots" or something similar to that. Yet I view it fine in my IE6 browser.
    So what's the big deal...? It won't be viewable in a browser like...Mozilla or something?
    Trust me...the target audience won' be using Mozilla, etc.
    I'm not really a code geek, and I use an html editor. But since that page was a downloaded prefab, webpage template...
    how would I go about adding the tags needed to make the pages "on the up & up"...?
    Thanks again David. I do appreciate your help.

    The Magician, May 31, 2005
  6. The Magician

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Magician
    <> writing in

    > In article <d7hev5$4tp$1$>,
    > says...
    >> The Magician wrote:
    >>

    > Hmmm...oh well, guess it'll have to stay as is. But that HTML validator
    > thingy said something about not being some kind of "doc type". How do I
    > fix that in Dreamweaver?

    Go into Code View (or whatever it's called) and add a DocType declaration.

    <snip>
    > None of the stuff on the validator made any sense to me really, except

    for I
    > get a sense that the webpage needed some kind of html "dogtag" stating
    > it's a "regulation webpage that's had it's shots" or something similar
    > to that.

    No, validation is not the beat all to end all, it's a tool to help you in
    your authoring. If some element is misbehaving, validating the page will
    often show the culprit, an example is a floating DIV that's not floating
    because the prior div is not closed.

    Yet I view it fine in my IE6 browser. So what's the big
    > deal...? It won't be viewable in a browser like...Mozilla or something?

    IE is not the only browser available. Who knows, maybe at the last minute,
    MS will make IE7 more like its younger siblings (I doubt it), and then it
    won't show correctly in IE7 either.

    > Trust me...the target audience won' be using Mozilla, etc.

    Firefox is gaining on IE rapidly, mostly because of security issues, and
    because IE just doesn't do some of the things the younger browsers do, like
    tabbed browsing.

    > I'm not really a code geek, and I use an html editor. But since that
    > page was a downloaded prefab, webpage template... how would I go about
    > adding the tags needed to make the pages "on the up & up"...?

    You need to start fixing the errors the validator points out one by one.
    Then, when it is no longer throwing errors, start working on the template.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, May 31, 2005
  7. The Magician

    The Magician Guest

    In article <Xns9667802727163arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158>, says...
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Magician
    > <> writing in
    >
    > > In article <d7hev5$4tp$1$>,
    > > says...
    > >> The Magician wrote:
    > >>

    > > Hmmm...oh well, guess it'll have to stay as is. But that HTML validator
    > > thingy said something about not being some kind of "doc type". How do I
    > > fix that in Dreamweaver?

    > Go into Code View (or whatever it's called) and add a DocType declaration.
    >
    > <snip>
    > > None of the stuff on the validator made any sense to me really, except

    > for I
    > > get a sense that the webpage needed some kind of html "dogtag" stating
    > > it's a "regulation webpage that's had it's shots" or something similar
    > > to that.

    > No, validation is not the beat all to end all, it's a tool to help you in
    > your authoring. If some element is misbehaving, validating the page will
    > often show the culprit, an example is a floating DIV that's not floating
    > because the prior div is not closed.
    >
    > Yet I view it fine in my IE6 browser. So what's the big
    > > deal...? It won't be viewable in a browser like...Mozilla or something?

    > IE is not the only browser available. Who knows, maybe at the last minute,
    > MS will make IE7 more like its younger siblings (I doubt it), and then it
    > won't show correctly in IE7 either.
    >
    > > Trust me...the target audience won' be using Mozilla, etc.

    > Firefox is gaining on IE rapidly, mostly because of security issues, and
    > because IE just doesn't do some of the things the younger browsers do, like
    > tabbed browsing.
    >
    > > I'm not really a code geek, and I use an html editor. But since that
    > > page was a downloaded prefab, webpage template... how would I go about
    > > adding the tags needed to make the pages "on the up & up"...?

    > You need to start fixing the errors the validator points out one by one.
    > Then, when it is no longer throwing errors, start working on the template.
    >
    > Thanks
    > > again David. I do appreciate your help.

    Thanks Adrienne.
    But my problem is...I went on that validator page, looked up the different types of "doctype declarations", and couldn't figure out which one fit.
    I dunno html 2.0 from 3.2 or 4.01...or xtml, or sooperdooper html, etc., etc., etc... LOL!
    So...couldn't figure out which tag to copy & paste.
    So you kinda see what type of novice I am.

    The Magician, May 31, 2005
  8. The Magician wrote:

    > But my problem is...I went on that validator page, looked up the different
    > types of "doctype declarations", and couldn't figure out which one fit. I
    > dunno html 2.0 from 3.2 or 4.01...or xtml, or sooperdooper html, etc.,
    > etc., etc... LOL! So...couldn't figure out which tag to copy & paste. So
    > you kinda see what type of novice I am.

    I seem to recall some mention of the W3C QA group thinking about producing a
    "Which markup language should I use?" document that should help people in
    your position in the future.

    That doesn't do you much good in the here and now though, so in brief:

    Generally speaking, documents authored today should be written in HTML 4.01
    Strict.

    Earlier versions of HTML, along with the Transitional and Frameset variants
    of HTML 4.01 contain junk that really shouldn't be used (with the sole
    exception of the start attribute for <ol>, but that comes up very
    infrequently).

    XHTML provides no practical benefits to the majority and introduces a number
    of problems (mainly down to user agent support, which is minimal).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, May 31, 2005
  9. The Magician

    > Thanks Adrienne.
    > But my problem is...I went on that validator page, looked up the
    > different types of "doctype declarations", and couldn't figure out
    > which one fit. I dunno html 2.0 from 3.2 or 4.01...or xtml, or
    > sooperdooper html, etc., etc., etc... LOL! So...couldn't figure out
    > which tag to copy & paste. So you kinda see what type of novice I am.

    In a nutshell:
    4.01 the latest specification (not a working draft)
    Strict - no deprecated elements or attributes, eg. no <b> or <div
    align="center">; use CSS.
    Transitional - has deprecated elements and attributes
    Frameset - for frameset documents; this is for the frame document only,
    subpages still have to use either Strict or Transitional.

    For new pages, you should use Strict and remove all presentation to CSS.
    I know that may seem difficult now, but in the future, instead of having
    to change <body bgcolor="#ffffff"> to <body bgcolor="FFDEAD"> in all
    pages (maybe hundreds), _one_ change can be made in _one_ external CSS
    document.

    You really need to do some good HTML and CSS tutorials. I'm sure someone
    will jump in now with a good list.

    Adrienne, May 31, 2005
  10. The Magician

    The Magician Guest

    In article <d7iiua$f1r$2$>, says...
    > The Magician wrote:
    >
    > > But my problem is...I went on that validator page, looked up the different
    > > types of "doctype declarations", and couldn't figure out which one fit. I
    > > dunno html 2.0 from 3.2 or 4.01...or xtml, or sooperdooper html, etc.,
    > > etc., etc... LOL! So...couldn't figure out which tag to copy & paste. So
    > > you kinda see what type of novice I am.

    > I seem to recall some mention of the W3C QA group thinking about producing a
    > "Which markup language should I use?" document that should help people in
    > your position in the future.
    >
    > That doesn't do you much good in the here and now though, so in brief:
    >
    > Generally speaking, documents authored today should be written in HTML 4.01
    > Strict.
    >
    > Earlier versions of HTML, along with the Transitional and Frameset variants
    > of HTML 4.01 contain junk that really shouldn't be used (with the sole
    > exception of the start attribute for <ol>, but that comes up very
    > infrequently).
    >
    > XHTML provides no practical benefits to the majority and introduces a number
    > of problems (mainly down to user agent support, which is minimal).

    Not trying to sound insulting...but...that all sounded like "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..." to me.
    (my fault...not yours.)
    Just that sometimes you ask a computer expert a simple question and some kinda give you more information than you can process as a newbie.

    > Earlier versions of HTML, along with the Transitional and Frameset variants
    > of HTML 4.01 contain junk that really shouldn't be used (with the sole
    > exception of the start attribute for <ol>, but that comes up very
    > infrequently).

    "Transitional...frameset variants... HTML 4.01"...???
    (again...not criticizing YOU... just dat *I* don't know what your saying.)
    I use Dreamweaver. (which is kinda over my head...but I somehow manage.)
    I probably should be using something much simpler.
    So it's kinda like being an office worker, who just wants to know how to open his email in Outlook Express...
    not understand all of the the coding behind it, or about all of the coding behind Windows XP, and all of it's idiosyncrasies...

    I really don't get all the new fangled web code stuff. (never really understood the old stuff either. LOL)
    But in sort of my own analogy, it would seem to me that someone once invented a language...for sake of my own understanding...let's call it Chinese.
    And they said "to understand it...you need to use this thing called a browser"
    Then they made other browsers. And then other newer browsers...
    And then they made Chinese v. 2.0, then Chinese version 4.01, then XChinese, then Chinese with CSS chopsticks, and so on & so forth.
    And then the "experts" in Chinese said "All in the land should now only talk in XChinese with CSS chopsticks, because some new browsers may not
    tranlate anything else!"

    Seems to me...the page I did doesn't seem to be in any form of "New Chinese with special CSS chopsticks"...
    Shouldn't ALL browsers understand and recognize older types of html without all sorts of fancy tags, etc.?
    Even without the "Doctype Declaration", etc., etc., etc,...?
    Like I said...it seems fine on my end. And again...TRUST me...the target audience are a club of recovering drug addicts and alcoholics like myself,
    and will be a very small audience. So I seriously DOUBT that any of them will be using Mozilla, or Firefox, or Netscape, or Opera...
    most will be lucky enuff to be computer literate, and will have IE5 or 6 on their machines...if they even have a machine to view it with.
    They just won't have that kinda net savvy...yanno...?
    (I just reread what I've just wrote...and it may sound angry or insulting at first. Trust me, it's not...and not meant to be.)
    I just don't get it. And I'm just trying to understand it all in clear, simple, newbie terms.

    The Magician, May 31, 2005
  11. The Magician wrote:

    > Not trying to sound insulting...but...that all sounded like "blah, blah,
    > blah, blah, blah..." to me.

    It was entirely jargon free, except for the names of the different versions
    of HTML ... which you need to look up the appropriate material on the page
    you said gave you a lot of choices but no help in making them.

    http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

    > Shouldn't ALL browsers understand and recognize older types of html
    > without all sorts of fancy tags, etc.?

    Older versions of HTML generally don't have features that you will find very
    useful, or have long winded and hard to maintain methods of achieving
    various effects. In most cases its both.

    > Even without the "Doctype Declaration", etc., etc., etc,...?

    The Doctype Declaration states which standard you are following. Following a
    standard is the most basic level of quality assurance. Quality assurance is
    good, it saves you from problems both now and further down the road.

    > They just won't have that kinda net savvy...yanno...?

    You don't need net savvy to use a browser other then Internet Explorer
    (although John Smith is more likely to use such a browser if he has, or has
    a friend or family member with same).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, May 31, 2005
  12. The Magician

    dorayme Guest

    > From: The Magician <>

    > The problem I'm having, is that the
    > templates come with sample text and a picture. And I like the overall size
    > of the layout the way it is for each page. When I remove the sample text and
    > picture...the template gets smaller when I save it.

    Add more text and pictures. This is easy to do and won't give you html and
    css technical difficulties. Become a master of being able get any site into
    this exact template without raising any eyebrows. Say things more long
    windedly if not enough text. Add clever redundant sentences. For pictures,
    resize down or add borders to make up. If there aren't enough pics, make
    some (you can always make pics consisting of text that would be somehow
    relevant to the site in question). If there are too many pics supplied, no
    worries. Just make more pages and do the things advised above...

    dorayme

    Which reminds me of the beggar who approached a Mrs Rosenberg. "Hey, lady! I
    haven't eaten for days!" Mrs Rosenberg looks at him coldly and says: "So
    force yourself!"

    dorayme, Jun 1, 2005
  13. The Magician

    The Magician Guest

    In article <BEC35619.12254%>, says...
    > > From: The Magician <>

    > > The problem I'm having, is that the
    > > templates come with sample text and a picture. And I like the overall size
    > > of the layout the way it is for each page. When I remove the sample text and
    > > picture...the template gets smaller when I save it.

    > Add more text and pictures. This is easy to do and won't give you html and
    > css technical difficulties. Become a master of being able get any site into
    > this exact template without raising any eyebrows. Say things more long
    > windedly if not enough text. Add clever redundant sentences. For pictures,
    > resize down or add borders to make up. If there aren't enough pics, make
    > some (you can always make pics consisting of text that would be somehow
    > relevant to the site in question). If there are too many pics supplied, no
    > worries. Just make more pages and do the things advised above...
    >
    > dorayme
    >
    > Which reminds me of the beggar who approached a Mrs Rosenberg. "Hey, lady! I
    > haven't eaten for days!" Mrs Rosenberg looks at him coldly and says: "So
    > force yourself!"

    Do you pay a writer for dem dere jokes...or ya write 'em yerself...?
    Don't quit yer day job.
    LOL!

    The Magician, Jun 1, 2005
  14. The Magician

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Adrienne <> said:

    > You really need to do some good HTML and CSS tutorials. I'm sure someone
    > will jump in now with a good list.

    http://htmldog.com/ is a good place to start - mixes the teaching of
    HTML and CSS in together nicely.

    Beyond that, here's the CSS list; I don't have the HTML one.

    css tutorials and other fun 'n giggly css stuff:
    http://www.css.nu/
    http://www.mako4css.com/
    http://www.richinstyle.com/
    http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/
    http://www.blazonry.com/css/
    http://www.w3schools.com/css/
    http://www.websitetips.com/css/
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/
    http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/indexcss.htm
    http://www.climbtothestars.org/coding/cssbasic/
    http://www.htmlcenter.com/tutorials/index.cfm/css/
    http://www.freewebmastertips.com/php/content.php3?aid=48
    http://www.canit.se/~griffon/web/writing_stylesheets.html
    http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/xhtml2/exerpt/css-4a.html
    http://idm.internet.com/articles/200101/csstutorial1a.html
    http://www.greytower.net/en/archive/articles/tsutsumi.html
    http://www.westciv.com.au/style_master/academy/css_tutorial/
    http://webmonkey.com/authoring/stylesheets/tutorials/tutorial1.html

    layout examples:
    http://www.glish.com/css/
    http://www.csszengarden.com/
    http://www.wannabegirl.org/css/
    http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/
    http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/
    http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
    http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~apple77/columns/
    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
    http://www.htmler.org/tutorials/3/1.html
    http://css.nu/articles/floating-boxes.html
    http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/
    http://www.roguelibrarian.com/lj/index.html
    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts
    http://ecoculture.com/styleguide/r/rollovers.html
    http://thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/index.html
    http://www.webreference.com/authoring/style/sheets/layout/advanced/

    rounded corners:
    http://www.albin.net/CSS/roundedCorners/
    http://www.webweaver.org/dan/css/corners/
    http://www.guyfisher.com/builder/workshop/css/corners/

    slants: http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/slantinfo.html
    centring: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/www/centre/
    lists: http://www.alistapart.com/stories/taminglists/
    pure css menus: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

    master compatibility charts:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/css2tests/intro.html
    http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html
    http://macedition.com/cb/resources/abridgedcsssupport.html
    old:
    http://www.immix.net/html/CSSGuide.htm
    http://devedge.netscape.com/library/xref/2003/css-support/

    hiding CSS from crappy browsers:
    http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
    http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/trick-hide.html
    http://www.w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/

    css checkers:
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/

    cascading style sheets, level 1 specification
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1.html
    cascading style sheets, level 2 specification
    http://www.w3.org/tr/rec-css2/cover.html
    cascading style sheets, level 2 revision 1 working draft
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/

    (thanks brucie - we miss you)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jun 1, 2005
  15. The Magician

    The Magician Guest

    In article <>, says...

    Thanks guys!!!! Thanks a bunch MARK!

    The Magician, Jun 1, 2005
  16. The Magician

    dorayme Guest

    > From: The Magician <>

    > In article <BEC35619.12254%>,
    > says...
    >>> From: The Magician <>

    >>> The problem I'm having, is that the
    >>> templates come with sample text and a picture. And I like the overall size
    >>> of the layout the way it is for each page. When I remove the sample text and
    >>> picture...the template gets smaller when I save it.

    >> Add more text and pictures. This is easy to do and won't give you html and
    >> css technical difficulties. Become a master of being able get any site into
    >> this exact template without raising any eyebrows. Say things more long
    >> windedly if not enough text. Add clever redundant sentences. For pictures,
    >> resize down or add borders to make up. If there aren't enough pics, make
    >> some (you can always make pics consisting of text that would be somehow
    >> relevant to the site in question). If there are too many pics supplied, no
    >> worries. Just make more pages and do the things advised above...
    >>
    >> dorayme
    >>
    >> Which reminds me of the beggar who approached a Mrs Rosenberg. "Hey, lady! I
    >> haven't eaten for days!" Mrs Rosenberg looks at him coldly and says: "So
    >> force yourself!"

    > Do you pay a writer for dem dere jokes...or ya write 'em yerself...?
    > Don't quit yer day job.
    > LOL!

    Seriously, you would expect things to be rather different if you take away
    the pictures. A design that had various things in various places is simply
    going to look different when those things are not going to be there. So you
    need to ask yourself: what is it about the template that you like? This is
    the same question as asking yourself what is invariant about it that you
    like? Sure it was a joke, but it was meant to make you think a bit. I don't
    joke lightly for fun, believe me. That *is* my day job. Its a small club, I
    don't get paid much, but hey, its hard to get work here and I don't have to
    take my clothes off... (ok... what about the quality of the Jewish joke?
    That's not mine, But admit it, go on, it is good huh?)

    dorayme

    (OK I feel guilty now. Table cells grow according to the content. If you
    *must* have a certain size and look and want to use tables, the best is to
    make content. It is not something that is not done at all in web design.
    Anyway, mark parnell has given you an excellent set of links to get busy
    with. Best of luck)

    dorayme, Jun 1, 2005
  17. The Magician

    The Magician Guest

    In article <BEC3B00B.1226B%>, says...
    > > From: The Magician <>

    > > In article <BEC35619.12254%>,
    > > says...

    > >> Add more text and pictures. This is easy to do and won't give you html and
    > >> css technical difficulties. Become a master of being able get any site into
    > >> this exact template without raising any eyebrows. Say things more long
    > >> windedly if not enough text. Add clever redundant sentences. For pictures,
    > >> resize down or add borders to make up. If there aren't enough pics, make
    > >> some (you can always make pics consisting of text that would be somehow
    > >> relevant to the site in question). If there are too many pics supplied, no
    > >> worries. Just make more pages and do the things advised above...
    > >>
    > >> dorayme
    > >>
    > >> Which reminds me of the beggar who approached a Mrs Rosenberg. "Hey, lady! I
    > >> haven't eaten for days!" Mrs Rosenberg looks at him coldly and says: "So
    > >> force yourself!"

    > > Do you pay a writer for dem dere jokes...or ya write 'em yerself...?
    > > Don't quit yer day job.
    > > LOL!

    > Seriously, you would expect things to be rather different if you take away
    > the pictures. A design that had various things in various places is simply
    > going to look different when those things are not going to be there. So you
    > need to ask yourself: what is it about the template that you like? This is
    > the same question as asking yourself what is invariant about it that you
    > like? Sure it was a joke, but it was meant to make you think a bit. I don't
    > joke lightly for fun, believe me. That *is* my day job. Its a small club, I
    > don't get paid much, but hey, its hard to get work here and I don't have to
    > take my clothes off... (ok... what about the quality of the Jewish joke?
    > That's not mine, But admit it, go on, it is good huh?)
    >
    > dorayme
    >
    > (OK I feel guilty now. Table cells grow according to the content. If you
    > *must* have a certain size and look and want to use tables, the best is to
    > make content. It is not something that is not done at all in web design.
    > Anyway, mark parnell has given you an excellent set of links to get busy
    > with. Best of luck)

    Why do I feel as thought I've just read 2 paragraphs worth of fast doubletalk...
    Reading your posts are like listening to Goldie Hawn back in her heyday.
    Seriously tho...I'm not as concerned so much with the table cells growing...as I am with them shrinking.
    The links page is only going to have like 4 links on it. Therefore it will shrink to like 3 inches high.
    (sorry...dunno wut dat is in pixel height)
    Amnd the Mission Statement page will probably be longer, while the contacts page...again...will only have an address, and maybe 2-4 email links...so
    that page will shrink. My goal...if at all possible (which seems like it aint gonna happen)...is to keep all the pages uniformly sized, despite it's
    content. I could add some gifs, pix, and mexican jumping beans...but that would make it look tacky.
    (don't get me wrong...I LOVE me some tacky... just not on this site.)

    Nevermind the Jewish joke...did ya hear the one about the Buddist who asked the hotdog stand guy...
    "Make me one with everything..."

    ("bidda-bump-bump...tssssssss!")

    The Magician, Jun 1, 2005
  18. The Magician

    dorayme Guest

    > From: The Magician <>

    >>Table cells grow according to the content. If you
    >> *must* have a certain size and look and want to use tables, the best is to
    >> make content. It is not something that is not done at all in web design.
    >> Anyway, mark parnell has given you an excellent set of links to get busy
    >> with. Best of luck)

    > I'm not as concerned so much with the table cells growing...as
    > I am with them shrinking.

    Yes, I got this much. The point about cells growing to accommodate content
    is a comment on how they work by default. The best thing to do is to
    understand more html and css and so be equipped to be flexible. I've clean
    forgotten if you ever posted the template you like and the material that you
    want to be in it. But if the template you have is something you understand
    and like and want, then there might be ways of working with it and there may
    be short term advantages for you. Anyway, best of luck...

    > Nevermind the Jewish joke...did ya hear the one about the Buddist

    Yes.

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 1, 2005