table layout

Nicole

I'm using a layout table to create a background that can be used for
various content on a content management server-based website. My
problem is that the table-design does not behave properly:

I want [1:2] to adjust its length to the title, NOT by the length of
[2:2], but it does and it always gets too long. Instead, I would prefer
[2:4] to adjust its length to [2:2].

Psedo code below

<TABLE fixed width>

<TR>

[1:1]<TD background=image of CORNER does not tile | fixed size></td>

[1:2]<TD background=image of border tile:x | fixed height>
Title(undefine length, got max)</TD>

[1:3]<TD background=image do not tile| fixed size> </TD>

[1:4]<TD background=image of border tile:x | fixed height Length of
cell is depending on length of "A lot of text"in cell [2:2] > </td>
[1:5]<TD background=image Of CORNER do not tile| fixed size></td>

</TR>

<TR>
[2:1]<TD background=image Of BORDER tile:y | fixed width></td>
[2:2]<td colspan =3>
<TABLE>
PICTURE
PICTURE
PICTURE
</TD>
A lot of text
</TR>
</TABLE>
</TD>

[2:3]<TD background=image Of BORDER tile:y | fixed width>

</TR>

<TR>

[3:1]<TD background=image Of CORNER do not tile| fixed size></td>

[3:2]<TD colspan=3 background=image of border tile:x |fixed height
length of cell is depending on text in cell below > </TD>

[3:3]<TD background=image Of CORNER do not tile| fixed size></td>

</TR>

Best regards,
Nicole

Travis Newbury

Nicole said:
I'm using a layout table to create a background that can be used
for various content on a content management server-based
website. My problem is that the table-design does not behave
properly:

Uh-Oh..

1: Showing the psuedo code is meaningless. One needs to share an url
displaying the problem.

2: Prepair thyself for a wicked tongue lashing about the use of
tables for layout.

Els

Travis said:
Uh-Oh..

1: Showing the psuedo code is meaningless. One needs to share an url
displaying the problem.

2: Prepair thyself for a wicked tongue lashing about the use of
tables for layout.

She need not worry - she's posting from Google Groups ;P

Dylan Parry

Trapped in the departure lounge at alt.html, PretLetters got bored and
wrote:
Unless some use GG during daytime, like from the office or something

Then she'd just be weird!

SCNR <g>

Travis Newbury

Els said:
She need not worry - she's posting from Google Groups ;P

Yea but we aren't (1) so they will see it.

(1) Well originally I posted from my reader, but now I am at the office
and have to post from google. But the point is, they will eventually
see the thread (2)

(2) Well everyone but barabra, as the only people she has not killfiled
are using google, and she blocks them...

Els

PretLetters said:
Els schreef:

Unless some use GG during daytime, like from the office or something
;-)

Those should be clever enough not to respond to posts they'd have
killed were they at home using their favourite killfilter enabled
newsreader ;-)

Your sigsep is broken again. And it /is/ possible to get that right
using GG - you have managed before :)

Nicole

*white number floating over my head: 5...4...3...2...1*
uh-oh..
*boof*

Here is a link to the site: http://www.lorensbergs.com/lor/solutions

On the page there are two frames called "about netloan" and "features"

I want the length of the cell to adjust to the title. Today I solve the
problem by hardcoding width of the <td>-tag (eg width=60 in "feature"
and width=120 in "about netloan").

I also like to know why the page align left (instead of center) in
firefox.

Best regards,
Nicole

PretLetters

Els schreef:

[ Expecting trouble for asking about layout tables ]
Those should be clever enough not to respond to posts they'd have
killed were they at home using their favourite killfilter enabled
newsreader ;-)
lol

Your sigsep is broken again. And it /is/ possible to get that right
using GG - you have managed before :)

And I have no idea how I did that. No matter what I do (add one or two
spaces, use less or more than one 'carridge return' after the
dash_dash_space. In the example one can see before sending to usenet,
the space _is_ there. Somehow it gets lost between looking at the
example and arriving on a news server.

grmbl grmbl

PretLetters

Dylan Parry schreef:
Trapped in the departure lounge at alt.html, PretLetters got bored and
wrote:

Then she'd just be weird!
lol

SCNR <g>

I know how that feels :)
Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.

Good one. I might steel it some day.

wrote:
Good one. I might steel it some day.

You might want to iron it out first though ;)

Once again... SCNR!

Els

PretLetters said:
And I have no idea how I did that. No matter what I do (add one or two
spaces, use less or more than one 'carridge return' after the
dash_dash_space. In the example one can see before sending to usenet,
the space _is_ there. Somehow it gets lost between looking at the
example and arriving on a news server.

grmbl grmbl

It's gone now though...

dorayme

From: "Travis Newbury said:
(2) Well everyone but barabra, as the only people she has not killfiled
are using google, and she blocks them...

So this is no way out of her killfile? Damn!

Nicole

Andy: You are right about the wysiwyg-tool "design view" in Visual
Studio, it is a shelter for forgotten demons. I don't think the
code-generating is the major problem with the tool, the fact that it
changes your code when enterering design-view is what makes the wysivyg
almost unusable. I said almost. It is faster to create serverside
components in designview.

This seem to be a forum for people who write beautiful HTML-code.
Although I admire your artwork, to me the behavior of the page is more
important than the look of the source. If you guys don't want to help
me, I can always solve the problem on the server side.

Best Regards,
Nicole

Travis Newbury

Nicole said:
This seem to be a forum for people who write beautiful HTML-code.
Although I admire your artwork, to me the behavior of the page is more
important than the look of the source. If you guys don't want to help
me, I can always solve the problem on the server side.

But you were helped. You just didn't like the answers you got.

-=tn=-

Andy Dingley

Although I admire your artwork, to me the behavior of the page is more
important than the look of the source.

I quite agree. But your page isn't behaving as you want it to, and the
source is horrible. As this _source_ is your major means of
communication with the user's browser, then how else are you expecting
to make well-behaved pages appear ?

Much of the problem with your source is the use of a poor editing tool.
Now would you expect to improve your site-building performance by
throwing away half of the keys from your keyboard first? Why choose a
tool that actually fights _against_ you?