table layout

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nicole, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Nicole

    Nicole Guest

    I'm using a layout table to create a background that can be used for
    various content on a content management server-based website. My
    problem is that the table-design does not behave properly:

    I want [1:2] to adjust its length to the title, NOT by the length of
    [2:2], but it does and it always gets too long. Instead, I would prefer
    [2:4] to adjust its length to [2:2].

    Psedo code below

    <TABLE fixed width>

    <TR>

    [1:1]<TD background=image of CORNER does not tile | fixed size></td>

    [1:2]<TD background=image of border tile:x | fixed height>
    Title(undefine length, got max)</TD>

    [1:3]<TD background=image do not tile| fixed size> </TD>

    [1:4]<TD background=image of border tile:x | fixed height Length of
    cell is depending on length of "A lot of text"in cell [2:2] > </td>
    [1:5]<TD background=image Of CORNER do not tile| fixed size></td>

    </TR>

    <TR>
    [2:1]<TD background=image Of BORDER tile:y | fixed width></td>
    [2:2]<td colspan =3>
    <TABLE>
    PICTURE
    PICTURE
    PICTURE
    </TD>
    A lot of text
    </TR>
    </TABLE>
    </TD>

    [2:3]<TD background=image Of BORDER tile:y | fixed width>

    </TR>

    <TR>

    [3:1]<TD background=image Of CORNER do not tile| fixed size></td>

    [3:2]<TD colspan=3 background=image of border tile:x |fixed height
    length of cell is depending on text in cell below > </TD>

    [3:3]<TD background=image Of CORNER do not tile| fixed size></td>

    </TR>

    Best regards,
    Nicole

    Nicole, Nov 11, 2005

  2. "Nicole" <> said:

    > I'm using a layout table to create a background that can be used
    > for various content on a content management server-based
    > website. My problem is that the table-design does not behave
    > properly:

    Uh-Oh..

    1: Showing the psuedo code is meaningless. One needs to share an url
    displaying the problem.

    2: Prepair thyself for a wicked tongue lashing about the use of
    tables for layout.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Nicole

    Els Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > "Nicole" <> said:
    >
    >> I'm using a layout table to create a background that can be used
    >> for various content on a content management server-based
    >> website. My problem is that the table-design does not behave
    >> properly:

    > Uh-Oh..
    >
    > 1: Showing the psuedo code is meaningless. One needs to share an url
    > displaying the problem.
    >
    > 2: Prepair thyself for a wicked tongue lashing about the use of
    > tables for layout.

    She need not worry - she's posting from Google Groups ;P

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Nicole

    PretLetters Guest

    Els schreef:

    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    >> "Nicole" <> said:
    >>
    >>> I'm using a layout table

    >> Uh-Oh..
    >>
    >> 2: Prepair thyself for a wicked tongue lashing about the use of
    >> tables for layout.

    > She need not worry - she's posting from Google Groups ;P

    Unless some use GG during daytime, like from the office or something
    ;-)

    --

    <URL:http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>

    PretLetters, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Nicole

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Trapped in the departure lounge at alt.html, PretLetters got bored and
    wrote:

    > Unless some use GG during daytime, like from the office or something

    Then she'd just be weird!

    SCNR <g>

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.

    Dylan Parry, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Els wrote:
    > >> I'm using a layout table to create a background that can be used
    > >> for various content on a content management server-based
    > >> website. My problem is that the table-design does not behave
    > >> properly:

    > > Uh-Oh..
    > > 1: Showing the psuedo code is meaningless. One needs to share an url
    > > displaying the problem.
    > > 2: Prepair thyself for a wicked tongue lashing about the use of
    > > tables for layout.

    > She need not worry - she's posting from Google Groups ;P

    Yea but we aren't (1) so they will see it.

    (1) Well originally I posted from my reader, but now I am at the office
    and have to post from google. But the point is, they will eventually
    see the thread (2)

    (2) Well everyone but barabra, as the only people she has not killfiled
    are using google, and she blocks them...

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Nov 11, 2005
  7. Nicole

    Els Guest

    PretLetters wrote:

    > Els schreef:
    >
    >> Travis Newbury wrote:

    >>> Uh-Oh..
    >>>
    >>> 2: Prepair thyself for a wicked tongue lashing about the use of
    >>> tables for layout.

    >> She need not worry - she's posting from Google Groups ;P

    > Unless some use GG during daytime, like from the office or something
    > ;-)

    Those should be clever enough not to respond to posts they'd have
    killed were they at home using their favourite killfilter enabled
    newsreader ;-)

    > --

    Your sigsep is broken again. And it /is/ possible to get that right
    using GG - you have managed before :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Nov 11, 2005
  8. Nicole

    Nicole Guest

    *white number floating over my head: 5...4...3...2...1*
    uh-oh..
    *boof*

    Here is a link to the site: http://www.lorensbergs.com/lor/solutions

    On the page there are two frames called "about netloan" and "features"

    I want the length of the cell to adjust to the title. Today I solve the
    problem by hardcoding width of the <td>-tag (eg width=60 in "feature"
    and width=120 in "about netloan").

    I also like to know why the page align left (instead of center) in
    firefox.

    Best regards,
    Nicole

    Nicole, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Nicole

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 11 Nov 2005 05:06:05 -0800, "Nicole" <>
    wrote:

    >Here is a link to the site: http://www.lorensbergs.com/lor/solutions

    Bob's Pipe! This thing makes worse code than FrontPlague !

    If you want to fix this, ditch that abominable editing tool and lern
    some HTML. There is just _no_ point in us wasting time quibbling over
    the minor details.

    Andy Dingley, Nov 11, 2005
  10. Nicole

    PretLetters Guest

    Els schreef:

    > PretLetters wrote:
    >
    >> Els schreef:

    [ Expecting trouble for asking about layout tables ]

    >>> She need not worry - she's posting from Google Groups ;P

    >> Unless some use GG during daytime, like from the office or something
    >> ;-)

    > Those should be clever enough not to respond to posts they'd have
    > killed were they at home using their favourite killfilter enabled
    > newsreader ;-)

    lol

    >> --

    > Your sigsep is broken again. And it /is/ possible to get that right
    > using GG - you have managed before :)

    And I have no idea how I did that. No matter what I do (add one or two
    spaces, use less or more than one 'carridge return' after the
    dash_dash_space. In the example one can see before sending to usenet,
    the space _is_ there. Somehow it gets lost between looking at the
    example and arriving on a news server.

    grmbl grmbl

    --
    <URL:http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>

    PretLetters, Nov 11, 2005
  11. Nicole

    PretLetters Guest

    Dylan Parry schreef:

    > Trapped in the departure lounge at alt.html, PretLetters got bored and
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Unless some use GG during daytime, like from the office or something

    > Then she'd just be weird!

    lol

    > SCNR <g>

    I know how that feels :)

    > Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.

    Good one. I might steel it some day.

    --
    <URL:http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>

    PretLetters, Nov 11, 2005
  12. Nicole

    wrote:

    >> Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.

    > Good one. I might steel it some day.

    You might want to iron it out first though ;)

    Once again... SCNR!

    Dylan Parry, Nov 11, 2005
  13. Nicole

    Els Guest

    PretLetters wrote:

    >>> --

    >> Your sigsep is broken again. And it /is/ possible to get that right
    >> using GG - you have managed before :)

    > And I have no idea how I did that. No matter what I do (add one or two
    > spaces, use less or more than one 'carridge return' after the
    > dash_dash_space. In the example one can see before sending to usenet,
    > the space _is_ there. Somehow it gets lost between looking at the
    > example and arriving on a news server.
    >
    > grmbl grmbl

    It's gone now though...

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Nov 11, 2005
  14. Nicole

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Travis Newbury" <>

    > (2) Well everyone but barabra, as the only people she has not killfiled
    > are using google, and she blocks them...

    So this is no way out of her killfile? Damn!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 12, 2005
  15. Nicole

    PretLetters Guest

    Els wrote:
    > PretLetters wrote:

    [ sig separator in GG; it is possible, but how does one do it? ]

    >> grmbl grmbl

    > It's gone now though...

    You've got to be joking... How did I do that?

    --
    <URL:http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>

    PretLetters, Nov 12, 2005
  16. Nicole

    Els Guest

    PretLetters wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >> PretLetters wrote:

    > [ sig separator in GG; it is possible, but how does one do it? ]
    >
    >>> grmbl grmbl

    >> It's gone now though...

    > You've got to be joking... How did I do that?

    I don't know, but by all means, keep doing it ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Nov 12, 2005
  17. Nicole

    Nicole Guest

    Andy: You are right about the wysiwyg-tool "design view" in Visual
    Studio, it is a shelter for forgotten demons. I don't think the
    code-generating is the major problem with the tool, the fact that it
    changes your code when enterering design-view is what makes the wysivyg
    almost unusable. I said almost. It is faster to create serverside
    components in designview.

    This seem to be a forum for people who write beautiful HTML-code.
    Although I admire your artwork, to me the behavior of the page is more
    important than the look of the source. If you guys don't want to help
    me, I can always solve the problem on the server side.

    Best Regards,
    Nicole

    Nicole, Nov 14, 2005
  18. Nicole wrote:
    > This seem to be a forum for people who write beautiful HTML-code.
    > Although I admire your artwork, to me the behavior of the page is more
    > important than the look of the source. If you guys don't want to help
    > me, I can always solve the problem on the server side.

    But you were helped. You just didn't like the answers you got.

    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Nov 14, 2005
  19. Nicole

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 13 Nov 2005 23:16:05 -0800, "Nicole" <>
    wrote:

    >Although I admire your artwork, to me the behavior of the page is more
    >important than the look of the source.

    I quite agree. But your page isn't behaving as you want it to, and the
    source is horrible. As this _source_ is your major means of
    communication with the user's browser, then how else are you expecting
    to make well-behaved pages appear ?

    Much of the problem with your source is the use of a poor editing tool.
    Now would you expect to improve your site-building performance by
    throwing away half of the keys from your keyboard first? Why choose a
    tool that actually fights _against_ you?

    Andy Dingley, Nov 15, 2005