table not responding in IE

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jeff Fritz, Oct 21, 2005.

  1. Jeff  Fritz

    Jeff Fritz Guest

    Hello,

    I have a table. In a TD in this table, is yet another table.

    This nested table _does not respond_ at all to any efforts I put into
    it to get it to align right inside the TD. It looks fine in firefox
    (surprise!).

    I've tried the following:

    align="right"
    text-align: right;
    margin-left: 100px;
    float: right;

    on all possible elements -- table, tr, td, I've even wrapped it in a
    div and it hasn't responded. Basically that cell and anything in it is
    being a pain in the neck.

    Please help.
    Jeff Fritz, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Jeff  Fritz

    Els Guest

    Jeff Fritz wrote:

    > I have a table. In a TD in this table, is yet another table.
    >
    > This nested table _does not respond_ at all to any efforts I put into
    > it to get it to align right inside the TD. It looks fine in firefox
    > (surprise!).
    >
    > I've tried the following:
    >
    > align="right"
    > text-align: right;
    > margin-left: 100px;
    > float: right;
    >
    > on all possible elements -- table, tr, td, I've even wrapped it in a
    > div and it hasn't responded. Basically that cell and anything in it is
    > being a pain in the neck.
    >
    > Please help.

    One: don't use nested tables.
    Two: if you insist on using the construction you just described, try
    setting an explicit width (narrower than that TD) on the nested table.
    Three: if that doesn't work, it might just be an idea to actually show
    the problem in the form of a URL, so we can detect where you go wrong
    :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Jeff  Fritz

    Jeff Fritz Guest

    Els,

    thanks for your reply. I know not to use nested tables, I'm sorry,
    it's not my choice, nor can it be helped.

    there's an explicit width on both the TD and the nested table. IE
    seems to not respond to it at all. There also seems to be nothing
    stretching the TD that the nested table is in (for some reason it's
    stretching). It's very odd.

    Here's the link to the site. The TD/table in question is the right
    column with login/shoppingcart, etc in it. http://66.227.34.20/catalog/
    Jeff Fritz, Oct 21, 2005
  4. On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:12:57 +0200, Jeff Fritz <> wrote:

    > thanks for your reply. I know not to use nested tables, I'm sorry,
    > it's not my choice, nor can it be helped.

    How so? Who is holding that gun to your head?

    Barbara de Zoete, Oct 21, 2005
  5. Jeff  Fritz

    Els Guest

    Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:12:57 +0200, Jeff Fritz <> wrote:
    >
    >> thanks for your reply. I know not to use nested tables, I'm sorry,
    >> it's not my choice, nor can it be helped.

    > How so? Who is holding that gun to your head?

    It's probably a money gun, held by an employer.
    I know, (sh)it happens :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Oct 21, 2005
  6. On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:33:28 +0200, Els <> wrote:

    > Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:12:57 +0200, Jeff Fritz <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> thanks for your reply. I know not to use nested tables, I'm sorry,
    >>> it's not my choice, nor can it be helped.

    >> How so? Who is holding that gun to your head?

    > It's probably a money gun, held by an employer.
    > I know, (sh)it happens :)

    Ah, the guy (m/f) that doesn't really hire you, or even your expertise, but just
    some skills s/he needs for a specific problem, preferrably to be used as told,
    not necessarily the most effective or efficient way. I know such a guy (m/f) :)

    Barbara de Zoete, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Jeff  Fritz

    Els Guest

    Jeff Fritz wrote:

    > Els,
    >
    > thanks for your reply. I know not to use nested tables, I'm sorry,
    > it's not my choice, nor can it be helped.
    >
    > there's an explicit width on both the TD and the nested table. IE
    > seems to not respond to it at all. There also seems to be nothing
    > stretching the TD that the nested table is in (for some reason it's
    > stretching). It's very odd.
    >
    > Here's the link to the site. The TD/table in question is the right
    > column with login/shoppingcart, etc in it. http://66.227.34.20/catalog/

    For one thing: that TD isn't any wider than the table inside of it:
    cellpadding="0">

    You set them both to 125 wide. Making the table align right or left
    isn't gonna do anything ever.

    If you narrow your window, you'll see that at some point, the column
    fits where you want it, only to notice it dropping down when you
    narrow the window even more.
    The problem is not with the table that holds the shopping cart column,
    but with the construction of the table around it.

    I suggest you also check the validator, so you can find the errors
    like more than one <body> element, <tr> elements where they shouldn't
    be, and superfluous end tags of <table> elements.

    Some of these superfluous end tags, may be caused by incorrectly
    nested forms. You can't put a form element tag between <table> and

    Good chance that once you cleaned up the code, the problems will
    disappear too.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Oct 21, 2005
  8. Jeff  Fritz

    Els Guest

    Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    >>> How so? Who is holding that gun to your head?

    >> It's probably a money gun, held by an employer.
    >> I know, (sh)it happens :)

    > Ah, the guy (m/f) that doesn't really hire you, or even your expertise, but just
    > some skills s/he needs for a specific problem, preferrably to be used as told,
    > not necessarily the most effective or efficient way. I know such a guy (m/f) :)

    Only one?? ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Oct 21, 2005
  9. On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:54:09 +0200, Els <> wrote:

    > Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >
    >> Ah, the guy (m/f) that doesn't really hire you, or even your expertise, but
    >> just
    >> some skills s/he needs for a specific problem, preferrably to be used as told,
    >> not necessarily the most effective or efficient way. I know such a guy (m/f)
    >> :)

    > Only one?? ;-)

    Ehrm, if this indian says 'yes, only one' it will keep all the chiefs this
    indian had (including the current one) happy, thinking that one is not them.

    Barbara de Zoete, Oct 21, 2005
  10. Jeff  Fritz

    Els Guest

    Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:54:09 +0200, Els <> wrote:
    >
    >> Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ah, the guy (m/f) that doesn't really hire you, or even your expertise, but
    >>> just
    >>> some skills s/he needs for a specific problem, preferrably to be used as told,
    >>> not necessarily the most effective or efficient way. I know such a guy (m/f)
    >>> :)

    >> Only one?? ;-)

    > Ehrm, if this indian says 'yes, only one' it will keep all the chiefs this
    > indian had (including the current one) happy, thinking that one is not them.

    Ah yes, that makes perfect sense :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -