table outside printable border -- caused by font size in CSS???

Edward Scott

hi,

I have a page with a table in it, whose style is defined by a CSS style
sheet. the table is set to take up 100% of the page when printed. if I
don't specify a font size, or specify a font size small enough, this
works fine. once the font size is 9 pt or larger, however, the table
extends beyond the printable border on the right hand side of the page.

I have no idea why this is. my style sheet for the table is included
below, if anyone can offer any assistance it would be greatly
appreciated.

<STYLE TYPE="text/css" media="print">
<!--
..myTable
{
font-size:9pt;
align:left;
border:0;
border-spacing:0;
width:100%;
}
..myTable TH
{
text-align:right;
vertical-align:top;
padding:10;
background-color:#CCCCCC;
}
..myTable TD
{
text-align:justify;
padding:10;
}
-->
</STYLE>

Jukka K. Korpela

Edward Scott said:
I have a page with a table in it, whose style is defined by a CSS style
sheet. the table is set to take up 100% of the page when printed. if I
don't specify a font size, or specify a font size small enough, this
works fine. once the font size is 9 pt or larger, however, the table
extends beyond the printable border on the right hand side of the page.

First, try and learn to express yourself in normal English. This includes
starting a sentence with a capital letter, such as "A", "B", etc.
Second, include a URL if you have a problem with a specific page, unless
you wish to prevent people from helping you with the page.
Third, don't set font size in points, and certainly not to 9pt.
And don't set table width.
padding:10;

Oh, and don't forget to run your CSS code through the useful CSS checker
mistakenly called "CSS validator". It will report errors like the above.
text-align:justify;

Don't do that either.

Edward Scott

firstly, there is no reason to start sentences with capital letters.
furthermore I find doing so looks quite ugly.

second, the page is not online, so I cannot give a url. this is not a
web page, it is in fact my resume I am working on.

third, how else should I set the font size? all the examples of CSS I
have seen set the font size in points. and I don't want the font size
to be 9 pt, that just happens to be the smallest font size at which the
problem occurs.

why not set the table width?

why not justify the text?

Toby Inkster

Edward said:
firstly, there is no reason to start sentences with capital letters.

Because it's standard English punctuation. Perhaps this resource might
help you: <http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/print/grammar/>. In
particular:
<http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/print/grammar/g_caps.html>

While you're at it, please learn how to quote:
furthermore I find doing so looks quite ugly.

I find your lack of correct punctuation looks quite stupid. I think more
people would side with me over this matter.
second, the page is not online, so I cannot give a url. this is not a
web page, it is in fact my resume I am working on.

Then don't expect much help: without a URL, we can't see what your problem
is. No description you give will ever be as useful as a URL. If the page
you're working on isn't online, then create a simple example page that
illustrates your problem, and post a link to it.
third, how else should I set the font size? all the examples of CSS I
have seen set the font size in points.

Generally "em" or percent units are considered wise. For example:

H1 { font-size: 150%; }
H2 { font-size: 125%; }
H3 { font-size: 110%; }
P { font-size: 100%; }
SMALL { font-size: 85%; }
why not set the table width?
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

why not justify the text?

There is some evidence that people with dyslexia find it easier to read
left-aligned text.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Edward Scott quothed:
firstly, there is no reason to start sentences with capital letters.
furthermore I find doing so looks quite ugly.

Yeah there is. It's a tradition among the literate.
second, the page is not online, so I cannot give a url. this is not a
web page, it is in fact my resume I am working on.

Do you start the sentences in your resume with capital letters?
third, how else should I set the font size? all the examples of CSS I
have seen set the font size in points. and I don't want the font size
to be 9 pt, that just happens to be the smallest font size at which the
problem occurs.

If you don't know the answer to that, you shouldn't be using html.
why not set the table width?

Probably because it's unnecessary.
why not justify the text?

Some say it's hard to read, though I demur.

Edward Scott

Toby said:
Because it's standard English punctuation. Perhaps this resource might
help you: <http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/print/grammar/>. In
particular:
<http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/print/grammar/g_caps.html>

the fact that it is standard doesn't make it any more sensible. why
capitalize the first letter of sentences? really? there is always other
punctuation to separate sentences.
While you're at it, please learn how to quote:
<http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>

thank you. that was useful.
I find your lack of correct punctuation looks quite stupid. I think more
people would side with me over this matter.

and the majority is always right. besides, however it is done there
will always be people who think the another way looks better.
Then don't expect much help: without a URL, we can't see what your problem
is. No description you give will ever be as useful as a URL. If the page
you're working on isn't online, then create a simple example page that
illustrates your problem, and post a link to it.

I'm sorry, I thought I described the situatoin sufficiently. besides,
if you actually look at my description (or even the subject header)
then you will see that the problem is not with the way the page
displays on screen, but on the printed page. while people would be
prepared to look at a web page I link to, I don't expect they would
bother printing it.
Generally "em" or percent units are considered wise. For example:

H1 { font-size: 150%; }
H2 { font-size: 125%; }
H3 { font-size: 110%; }
P { font-size: 100%; }
SMALL { font-size: 85%; }

thank you, I will try this.

again, this is the printed page I am talking about, not the on-screen
display.
There is some evidence that people with dyslexia find it easier to read
left-aligned text.

interesting. I was not aware of that.

Edward Scott

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Edward Scott quothed:

Yeah there is. It's a tradition among the literate.

tradition isn't a good reason to do something.
Do you start the sentences in your resume with capital letters?

yes. in formal documents it can make a significant difference. in
informal documents I choose to express myself more freely.
If you don't know the answer to that, you shouldn't be using html.

I'm new to html. give me a break. besides, as I already said, every
example of CSS I have seen online specifies font size in points.

Toby Inkster

Edward said:
the fact that it is standard doesn't make it any more sensible. why
capitalize the first letter of sentences? really? there is always other
punctuation to separate sentences.

Two reasons:-

1. Readability: a full stop is such a small mark to rely on to create such
a big interruption in the flow of text; especially in handwritten text,
where the tiny dot may go almost unnoticed. By beginning the next word
with a capital letter, it more clearly shows the division between
sentences.

2. Avoiding looking like an idiot.

dorayme

From: "Edward Scott said:
tradition isn't a good reason to do something.

I'm new to html. give me a break. besides, as I already said, every
example of CSS I have seen online specifies font size in points.

You sure about this? Anyway, pt /is/ a print description rather
than a screen one where it is less meaningful (pardon me if I
have missed the context).

About tradition: no, it is not a good reason to do something in
itself. It works more like this. If it has been a good and
useful one, breaking with it mostly needs a bit of a reason, not
always, just mostly. For short messages, there is not a lot of
point in capital letters to begin sentences. But in longer
tracts, paras and stuff, it becomes important for the eye to
spot new sentences and thoughts...

I have to go now, I have to renew my Conservative Party
subscription.

dorayme

(Give the guy a break Boji! Lowercase is not so bad a crime. In
fact, sometimes, in emails, it is rather nice, a developing
tradition! Sometimes I find myself in lowercase moods... :)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Edward Scott quothed:
tradition isn't a good reason to do something.

yes. in formal documents it can make a significant difference. in
informal documents I choose to express myself more freely.

I'm new to html. give me a break. besides, as I already said, every
example of CSS I have seen online specifies font size in points.

Okay, you get a break. But seriously, the examples you saw weren't
representative of the majority. Most modern webpage font sizes are set
in percentages or ems using css if they are set at all. Novices may
tend to use pixels or points (-I did), part. often as a sop to IE, but
with some experience, one learns to allow for more flexibility.

kchayka

Toby said:
There is some evidence that people with dyslexia find it easier to read
left-aligned text.

You don't have to be dyslexic to have trouble reading justified text.
Browsers generally do a crappy job of it, anyway.