table rules="all"

Gabriel Schumann

Hi everybody,

I got a little problem with tables in HTML here where Google
couldn't help me.

I want to draw a table with lines between all rows and columns.
For that I use "<table border rules="all">". This works fine with
Opera and Netscape, but Internet Explorer refuses to draw all
lines, only "filled" cells are surrounded by lines, but not the empty
ones.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I hope this is
not a frequently asked question.

Greetz,
Gabriel

Toby Inkster

Gabriel said:
Internet Explorer refuses to draw all lines, only "filled" cells are
surrounded by lines, but not the empty ones.

The proper way to get borders around empty cells is:

but I don't think IE supports this. :-(

Workaround is to fool IE into thinking that the cells aren't empty:

Spartanicus

Works for me: http://www.google.com/search?q=border+empty+table+cells+ie
I want to draw a table with lines between all rows and columns.
For that I use "<table border rules="all">".

Proprietary nonsense.
This works fine with Opera and Netscape

So does the correct way of doing this: table{empty-cells:show}
but Internet Explorer refuses to draw all
lines, only "filled" cells are surrounded by lines, but not the empty
ones.

As per usual IE is the problem, a common kludge is to stick &nbsp; into
empty cells.

Gabriel Schumann

Thanks for your help!

I decided to use &nbsp; to ensure compatibility
to all browsers.

Greetz,
Gabriel