Table spacing keep decreasing on right side on Firefox

Thierry Lam

For the following codes, if you continuously check the checkbox, the
space on the right side keep decreasing dynamically on Firefox
1.5.0.10 while you don't see such behaviour on IE 6.0.2900, does
anyone know why and how to fix it?

<head>
table.simple
{
border-width: 1px;
border-spacing: 2px;
border-style: outset;
border-color: gray;
border-collapse: separate;
background-color: white;
}

table.sample th, tr, td
{
border-width: 1px 1px 1px 1px;
padding: 1px 1px 1px 1px;
border-style: inset inset inset inset;
border-color: gray gray gray gray;
background-color: white;
-moz-border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
}

<title>Simple doc</title>
</head>
<script type="text/javascript">

function greet(checked)
{
var table = document.getElementById("greetTable");
var cell = table.rows[0].cells[1];
if (checked)
cell.style.display = "block";
else
cell.style.display = "none";
}

</script>
<input type="checkbox" name="greet" onClick="greet(checked)"/>Key
Greet
<input type="button" value="hello world" onClick="say()" />
Text Only

Jonathan N. Little

Thierry said:
For the following codes, if you continuously check the checkbox, the
space on the right side keep decreasing dynamically on Firefox
1.5.0.10 while you don't see such behaviour on IE 6.0.2900, does
anyone know why and how to fix it?
<snip>

Because to toggle a table cell from displaying or not should be:

if (checked){
cell.style.display = "table-cell";
}
else{
cell.style.display = "none";
}

Note:
'display: block' != 'display: table-cell'

But yeah, you guessed it didn't you? IE at least to version 6 does not
support "table-cell" so you have to browser sniff here and use 'block'
for IE...

Or not use a table...

Thierry Lam

Thanks for that tinfo, those browser specific exceptions are pretty
annoying in deploying web apps.

Jonathan N. Little

Thierry said:
Thanks for that tinfo, those browser specific exceptions are pretty
annoying in deploying web apps.

Tell me about it, just been chasing my on backside of a bug narrowly
focused to IE6 on WinXP! 90% of my bug chasing involves IE...

BootNic

Thierry Lam said:
news: (e-mail address removed)
For the following codes, if you continuously check the checkbox, the
space on the right side keep decreasing dynamically on Firefox
1.5.0.10 while you don't see such behaviour on IE 6.0.2900, does
anyone know why and how to fix it?
[snip]

Start with a valid document. After you have that you can work on
the javascript, and at some point you will get to where you wish
to toggle the display of a cell on or off. The values of which
would be "none" or "".

table[0].tbody[0].rows[0].cells[1].style.display="none";
table[0].tbody[0].rows[0].cells[1].style.display="";