Table Trouble

Geoff Hague

The culprit:
The "show listing" table at
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/shows.php
(in IE6)

The problme:
Why is it that the cell containing "Friday, August 6th 2004" (the top left
cell) won't expand automatically to allow the date to fit on a single line
(in IE6 it wraps the "2004" to another line)? Have I done something wrong
in the contruction of the table (maybe having to do with the 'colspans')?

Thanks!

tm

Geoff Hague said:
The culprit:
The "show listing" table at
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/shows.php
(in IE6)

The problme:
Why is it that the cell containing "Friday, August 6th 2004" (the top left
cell) won't expand automatically to allow the date to fit on a single line
(in IE6 it wraps the "2004" to another line)? Have I done something wrong
in the contruction of the table (maybe having to do with the 'colspans')?

Thanks!

Wow, your page looks completely different in Safari, Mac IE 5.2 and
Mac Netscape 7.
Safari and Netscape have huge blank spaces above the picture.
IE has the tables all over the place.

Oh wait, the tables are fucked up in Safari and Netscape too, just in
a different way.

Neal

The culprit:
The "show listing" table at
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/shows.php
(in IE6)

The problme:
Why is it that the cell containing "Friday, August 6th 2004" (the top
left
cell) won't expand automatically to allow the date to fit on a single
line
(in IE6 it wraps the "2004" to another line)? Have I done something
wrong
in the contruction of the table (maybe having to do with the 'colspans')?

Thanks!

No, the problem is that your site colors are horrid. And in Opera the date
doesn't even show, just a huge top white region and a dinky neon website
below.

Wow, I have to tell you, I have seen a LOT of sites and yours is the most
visually obnoxious I have ever seen. If that's what you were going for,
congratulations, you kick ass.

And seriously, I don't mean that as an insult. Honestly, I don't see the
cell in question, but even if it wraps in IE that's the least of what's
abnormal about the page.

tm

Neal said:
Geoff Hague wrote:
No, the problem is that your site colors are horrid.

I suspect the colors are there only for understanding the layout.
And in Opera the date
doesn't even show, just a huge top white region and a dinky neon website
below.

That "huge top white region' is a problem.
Wow, I have to tell you, I have seen a LOT of sites and yours is the most
visually obnoxious I have ever seen. If that's what you were going for,
congratulations, you kick ass.

And seriously, I don't mean that as an insult. Honestly, I don't see the
cell in question, but even if it wraps in IE that's the least of what's
abnormal about the page.

If it was me, I'd bag everything up to this point and start over.

Neal

I suspect the colors are there only for understanding the layout.

No way. Why would anyone send themself to psychedelic purgatory by doing
that to an otherwise undangerous web page, and then post it here? It's as
if all your friends and coworkers saw you riding a moped, or passed out
drunk and naked on your lawn. You just don't allow it to happen.

I'm really confident this poster meant to foist this technicolor travesty
on his visitors, thinking it looked cool. If I'm wrong, I'll do something
nice. But I think I'm right.
If it was me, I'd bag everything up to this point and start over.

Here we agree.

tm

Neal said:
No way. Why would anyone send themself to psychedelic purgatory by doing
that to an otherwise undangerous web page, and then post it here? It's as
if all your friends and coworkers saw you riding a moped, or passed out
drunk and naked on your lawn. You just don't allow it to happen.

Maybe in your platitudinous actuality, but remember, this is a
musician's website.
I'm really confident this poster meant to foist this technicolor travesty
on his visitors, thinking it looked cool. If I'm wrong, I'll do something
nice. But I think I'm right.

Pretty sure he posted the link before without the colors.
Oh, and I could use a beer while you are up.
Here we agree.

Dude, the beer...

Neal

Maybe in your platitudinous actuality, but remember, this is a
musician's website.

I'm a professional musician. I should know. Incense and peppermints and
all that shit.
Pretty sure he posted the link before without the colors.
Oh, and I could use a beer while you are up.

Here, catch. I never saw this posted before, so maybe he did. maybe it was
a recent idea. Got any smokes?
Dude, the beer...

Here, catch.

tm

Neal said:
I'm a professional musician. I should know. Incense and peppermints and
all that shit.

heh. Drummers aren't really musicians you know. They just think they
are.
Here, catch. I never saw this posted before, so maybe he did.

It's been around. Always had that giant white space problem on my
browsers.

Neal

Neal wrote:

heh. Drummers aren't really musicians you know. They just think they
are.

Heh. I'm no drummer. I hire drummers, baby. How's that beer doin'?

Oh, as this is an HTML ng I should note that you shouldn't use tables for
layout, and don't forget that alt text! *wink wink*

Joel Shepherd

Geoff Hague said:
The culprit:
The "show listing" table at
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/shows.php
(in IE6)

The problme:
Why is it that the cell containing "Friday, August 6th 2004" (the top left
cell) won't expand automatically to allow the date to fit on a single line
(in IE6 it wraps the "2004" to another line)?

I don't have time to muck with it personally, but looking at the markup,
the first thing I would try is simplifying the table.

Except for the last row, every row in that table has two "de facto"
columns, but the colspan attributes specify three columns for all. What
is that third column -- that's never actually used -- for?

I'd start by removing all the colspan attributes except for the last
row, and change that to colspan="2". If that doesn't take care of it,
well, maybe that date just _wants_ to wrap. It's not going to stop
anyone from going to the show, I promise.

--
Joel.

http://www.cv6.org/
"May she also say with just pride:
I have done the State some service."

tm

Neal said:
Heh. I'm no drummer.

"but..." That's what you all say right before mangling a Bonham solo.
I hire drummers

You have my condolences.
Oh, as this is an HTML ng I should note that you shouldn't use tables for
layout, and don't forget that alt text! *wink wink*

*wink wink* is unacceptable code since 10% of browsers have something
or other turned off. Please use validatable css.

Geoff Hague

Neal said:
Here, catch.

Heh.... umm.. maybe I should grab a couple beers for myself ... an
entertaining read, though :)

Okay, yeah the colours are merely for testing-of-layout purposes (hehe..
though maybe, just *maybe*, I'm starting to like them!)

Regarding the huge empty whitespace: I had noticed this when I checked out
my site on Safari up at my university. I figured it was something simple
that I could probably deal with later... Maybe I should deal with that now
:-\

I'll install some other browsers here on my home computer and see if I can't
find out what's going on. Any suggestions, off the top of your heads
though?

Anyway, thanks for being *humourous* at least, in cutting me down :)

Cheers!
~Geoff

Geoff Hague

Joel Shepherd said:
I don't have time to muck with it personally, but looking at the markup,
the first thing I would try is simplifying the table.

Except for the last row, every row in that table has two "de facto"
columns, but the colspan attributes specify three columns for all. What
is that third column -- that's never actually used -- for?

I'd start by removing all the colspan attributes except for the last
row, and change that to colspan="2". If that doesn't take care of it,
well, maybe that date just _wants_ to wrap. It's not going to stop
anyone from going to the show, I promise.

Well, the thing is is that I don't want the top-left cell (the one with the
date in it) to be the same width as the cells immediately below it (ie: the
"Venue", "Time", "Admission", etc. cells). Here's a little mock-up of the
table layout I used, hoping that it would work for me:
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/tablelayout.gif
Hopefully that makes sense with respect to what I was trying to accomplish.
I suppose I could simply pull out that top table row out of the table
entirely, which would solve things I'm sure, but I think that's still part
of the tabular data, and the markup would be a lot nicer if it could be
included within the table.

Thanks for your help!
~Geoff

Kris

Geoff Hague said:
I'll install some other browsers here on my home computer and see if I can't
find out what's going on. Any suggestions, off the top of your heads
though?

Install a browser that takes webstandards a bit seriously than IE, like
Mozilla Firefox (mozilla.org/products/firefox). This browser shows you
what asked for rather than what you wanted (like IE, which always comes
around and stabs you in the back).