Table Trouble

tm

Geoff Hague said:
Neal said:
Here, catch.
[...]
Regarding the huge empty whitespace: I had noticed this when I checked out
my site on Safari up at my university. I figured it was something simple
that I could probably deal with later... Maybe I should deal with that now
:-\

I would.
I'll install some other browsers here on my home computer and see if I can't
find out what's going on. Any suggestions, off the top of your heads
though?

Download firefox and build to that instead of IE6. The whitespace
doesn't show on Mac IE, but shows on every other browser i have.
I'll bet if you start over and build to a real browser you'll figure
it out very quickly.
Anyway, thanks for being *humourous* at least, in cutting me down :)

Hey Geoff, if you don't mind a comment about content, why not put a
snippet of music on the site?

Neal

Hey Geoff, if you don't mind a comment about content, why not put a
snippet of music on the site?

Not auto=play, though. As an option the user can choose. That would be an
enhancement.

Joel Shepherd

Geoff Hague said:
Well, the thing is is that I don't want the top-left cell (the one with the
date in it) to be the same width as the cells immediately below it (ie: the
"Venue", "Time", "Admission", etc. cells). Here's a little mock-up of the
table layout I used, hoping that it would work for me:
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/tablelayout.gif

Hrm.

Seems to me that you might need to give the browser some hints about the
column widths that you're hoping for. The amazing 'em' unit is probably
going to be your friend here, as I suspect with CSS there's going to be
no way of saying "make this column 50% of the table width".

So, one thought might be to try to specify a width (in ems) for the date
column, and a width for the 'keyword' column in the next couple of rows,
and hope the browser will sort it out the way you want it to.

That said, this looks a lot like tables for layout (which I'm not going
to flame you for, since it's a relatively harmless example and, hey, I
do it myself more often than I'll admit).

It might be better -- and as importantly, easier -- to pull whatever is
in the first row out of the table and get it the way you like it, keep
in the table that which is clearly tabular data, and perhaps pull the
bottom row out as well.

Personally, that is the approach I'd be looking at.

--
Joel.

http://www.cv6.org/
"May she also say with just pride:
I have done the State some service."

Geoff Hague

tm said:
Hey Geoff, if you don't mind a comment about content, why not put a
snippet of music on the site?

Yeah, that's something we'll look at shortly. Only thing is right now, we
don't have a good recording of any of our songs. We're heading into a local
studio in a couple of weeks to put a demo together though, so that'll be
helpful.
If you're interested though, here's a live track you can have a listen to
:)
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/MisterX.mp3

Cheers!
~Geoff