Table Widget for IE? Fixed header, sorting columns, etc

Matt Kruse

I'm looking for the best JS/CSS solution to add functionality to tables.
The only browser which needs to be supported is IE5.5+, but no activeX can
be used.

to be able to do:
- Fixed header row
- Data sorting (preferrably intelligently determining data type based on
content)
- If possible, locking the first column from scrolling

I've seen one solution at
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/examples/locked-column-csv.html which is
pretty good, but it uses a DIV that scrolls and puts the table within it,
making the header row move down as the DIV is scrolled. This works, but it's
not as elegant and simple as I'd like.

I wish IE would support tbody{scroll:auto} but we're not that lucky :(

Mick White

Matt said:
I'm looking for the best JS/CSS solution to add functionality to tables.
The only browser which needs to be supported is IE5.5+, but no activeX can
be used.

to be able to do:
- Fixed header row
- Data sorting (preferrably intelligently determining data type based on
content)
- If possible, locking the first column from scrolling

http://mickweb.com/football/aleague/profiles.html

Something like this?

Mick

Randy Webb

Matt said:
I'm looking for the best JS/CSS solution to add functionality to tables.
The only browser which needs to be supported is IE5.5+, but no activeX can
be used.

Curiosity - Why IE5.5+?
to be able to do:
- Fixed header row

There are examples in the archives. I will try to hunt them down this
afternoon if you cant find them.

It used the TBODY if I remember right. It was even cross-browser :)
- Data sorting (preferrably intelligently determining data type based on
content)

- If possible, locking the first column from scrolling

In IE, I think you are going to have to go to a second table, to hold
that first column to keep it from scrolling. Or, are you referring to
the rows?

Matt Kruse

Randy said:
Curiosity - Why IE5.5+?

Because the web app in which I'm needing to incorporate it is IE5.5+ only,
and already relies on many IE-specific functionalities. It's not an internet
app.
There are examples in the archives. I will try to hunt them down this
afternoon if you cant find them.
It used the TBODY if I remember right. It was even cross-browser :)

I've had a hard time finding ones that work well. The one I referenced in my
In IE, I think you are going to have to go to a second table, to hold
that first column to keep it from scrolling. Or, are you referring to
the rows?

Nope, definitely column. And the example url does this also.

Richard Cornford

Matt said:
I'm looking for the best JS/CSS solution to add functionality
to tables. The only browser which needs to be supported is
IE5.5+, but no activeX can be used.

to be able to do:
- Fixed header row
- Data sorting (preferrably intelligently determining
data type based on content)
- If possible, locking the first column from scrolling

I've seen one solution at
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/examples/locked-column-csv.html

Yes, that doesn't work very well without activeX.
which is pretty good, but it uses a DIV that scrolls and puts
the table within it, making the header row move down as the
DIV is scrolled. This works, but it's not as elegant and
simple as I'd like.

I wrote a fixed header scrolling table recently (it is not IE 5.5+
only):-

But trying to combine it with table sorting might get a bit involved as
it uses two clones of the original table so that the header cells are
the same dimensions as the corresponding rows/columns so it would
require re-ordering the rows in two table for the sorting, and the
re-assignment of the position reporting object for the cell that defines
the offsets for the various tables. It could be done but it wouldn't be
that fast on a big table.

Your desire to have the sort criteria 'intelligently' determined is
another of your attempts to be overly general. You will not manage to be
that general as I think you would have no choice but examine the cell
contents with a regular expression to see if it was a Date, number or
whatever. You would probably have to run through an entire column when
making that test and would still be forced to make many assumptions
about the format of the possible cell contents.
I wish IE would support tbody{scroll:auto} but we're not
that lucky :(

The scrolling TBODY approach doesn't work that well anyway. The problem
is that the TBODY will be as wide as the THEAD so when the TBODY
acquires a vertical scroll bar its contents overflow the remaining space
and a horizontal scroll bar appears. So you can scroll the TBODY
horizontally and so stop the columns lining up with their header cells.

Richard.

Matt Kruse

Richard said:
Yes, that doesn't work very well without activeX.

Actually, it works fine without ActiveX. The only thing X is used for is the
data population. If you take that out and put in static data, it works fine,
and purely via CSS.
I wrote a fixed header scrolling table recently (it is not IE 5.5+
only):-

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Your desire to have the sort criteria 'intelligently' determined is
another of your attempts to be overly general.

No it's not. Don't be obtuse.
You will not manage to
be that general as I think you would have no choice but examine the
cell contents with a regular expression to see if it was a Date,
number or whatever. You would probably have to run through an entire
column when making that test and would still be forced to make many
assumptions about the format of the possible cell contents.

Actually, I was thinking of just looking at the first 3-5 values. If they're
all numeric, use numeric sort. If they match \d+/\d+/\d+ then use date. Etc,
etc. If all else fails, fall back to alphanumeric sort. It should handle
most common cases.
The scrolling TBODY approach doesn't work that well anyway. The
problem is that the TBODY will be as wide as the THEAD so when the
TBODY acquires a vertical scroll bar its contents overflow the
remaining space and a horizontal scroll bar appears.

overflow-x:hidden;

Brett Merkey

Matt Kruse said:
I'm looking for the best JS/CSS solution to add functionality to tables.
to be able to do:
- Fixed header row
- Data sorting (preferrably intelligently determining data type based on
content)
- If possible, locking the first column from scrolling

I've seen one solution at
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/examples/locked-column-csv.html which is
pretty good, but it uses a DIV that scrolls and puts the table within it,
making the header row move down as the DIV is scrolled. This works, but it's
not as elegant and simple as I'd like.

I believe the cited URL and this cross-browser variation
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/examples/nonscroll-table-header.html

are as elegant and simple as it gets. Our teams have used it for years in
forms-based Web apps. Making CSS do most of that work makes all
scripting tasks, such as sorting, selection for further operations, and
filtering
large tables, a whole lot easier.

Not sure why putting a DIV around a table is a problem for you but I doubt
if you will find a robust script that "intelligently" figures out the data
type. It
is so much easier all around to give the script that information at the
outset.
After all, manually or thru database population, you know the datatype at
the outset. Why not pass on the info to the script?

If you put together something that does all you want, please post it.

Brett

Richard Cornford

Matt said:
Actually, it works fine without ActiveX. The only
thing X is used for is the data population. If you
take that out and put in static data, it works fine,
and purely via CSS.

Fair enough, its not much of a demonstration without the data.
Cannot find server or DNS Error

Sorry, I forgot the www from the front:-

No it's not. Don't be obtuse.

Actually, I was thinking of just looking at the first 3-5 values.
If they're all numeric, use numeric sort. If they match
\d+/\d+/\d+ then use date. Etc, etc. If all else fails,
fall back to alphanumeric sort. It should handle most common
cases.

That is quite an assumption.
overflow-x:hidden;

And with CSS?

Richard.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated Wed, 1 Sep 2004
16:13:36, seen in Matt Kruse
Actually, I was thinking of just looking at the first 3-5 values. If they're
all numeric, use numeric sort. If they match \d+/\d+/\d+ then use date. Etc,
etc.

\d+/\d+/\d+ may be sufficient to suggest a date; but \d+-\d+-\d+ also
should suggest a date. One should not disregard US Federal standards,
even if they match international ones.

But that is not sufficient information to enable a sort.

The field order can be YMD, DMY, or MDY; which it is may be evident on
closer inspection, or may remain uncertain.

The year may be YYYY or YY; in the latter case, it will generally need
to be windowed into YYYY before sorting.

If the field is a sensible date, it can be sorted as a string; hence it
does not need to be recognised.

BTW, not only can YYYY-MM-DD be sorted as string, but YYYY-WW-D can.

Harag

Nah, that's ancient and only around for NS4-supporters who still need
client-side sorting.
Which probably doesn't even exist as a requirement for anyone anymore, so
I'll go ahead and remove it when I get time...

No don't remove it... replace it :) when you find a cool sorting
script please list it.

Al.

Mick White

Matt said:
For purely sorting, that works. But it doesn't do it intelligently - it
requires a parameter to explicitly say what the data type is.
It would be easy enough to distinguish between String and Number. Just
test the first entry in the column, and select the appropriate sort
function. You can add your own rules for dates, heights, etc.
Mick

Randy Webb

Mick said:
It would be easy enough to distinguish between String and Number. Just
test the first entry in the column, and select the appropriate sort
function. You can add your own rules for dates, heights, etc.

That won't work.

var s='1 day at a time';

Number or String?

Randy Webb