tableless site editors

Andrew S.

Is there any free to use/try editors that are designed to work to designing
a tableless web site?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew S.

Richard

Andrew said:
Is there any free to use/try editors that are designed to work to
designing a tableless web site?
Thanks in advance,
Andrew S.

any simple word editor from notepad on up will do the trick.
Just name the file "name.html" with the quotes and that's it.

All you need to know now is how to write a site in CSS.
A table cell is replaced by a <div> tag.

Instead of coding:
You would code:

Search for [html css <div>] for more info.

Leif K-Brooks

Andrew said:
Is there any free to use/try editors that are designed to work to designing
a tableless web site?

Vim, Emacs, Nano, KWrite, Kate, KEdit, Notepad, Simpletext.

kayodeok

Is there any free to use/try editors that are designed to work
to designing a tableless web site?

Table-based websites are made by HU-mans, not software.

You could use any of the html editors out there and still end up with
a table-based site.

The key is whether you understand the principles behind webdesign and
know when to use a table (for data) and when not to use a table -
lurking here would help - there has been so many debates on this
issue in the last 24 hours.

Andrew S.

kayodeok said:
Table-based websites are made by HU-mans, not software.

You could use any of the html editors out there and still end up with
a table-based site.

The key is whether you understand the principles behind webdesign and
know when to use a table (for data) and when not to use a table -
lurking here would help - there has been so many debates on this
issue in the last 24 hours.

Thanks I was interested in a editor that I could use to easily build
tableless pages so that I could learn from and while using the editor.

Thanks

Andrew S.

kayodeok

Andrew S. said:
Thanks I was interested in a editor that I could use to easily
build tableless pages so that I could learn from and while using
the editor.
Leif already gave you a list of Editors, others are: HTML-Kit,
TextPad, UltraEdit, NoteTab, EditPlus etc and as Whitecrest said,
they all allow you to create Tableless websites

Leif K-Brooks

Whitecrest said:
All of them do.

<move bodypart="tongue" to="cheek"/>This Perl script doesn't (requires
Nano):

use strict;
use warnings;
my $file = $ARGV[0] or die "Specify a file!\n";
open(THEFILE, $file) or die "Couldn't open file!\n";
while (<THEFILE>) {
if (/<table/i) {
exec("nano $file");
exit 0;
die "You have to use tables! Tables or die!\n";

Paul Furman

Andrew said:
Thanks I was interested in a editor that I could use to easily build
tableless pages so that I could learn from and while using the editor.

I'm guessing now that you are asking for a wysiwyg editor that creates
layout effects with CSS rather than tables. Then you could study the
resulting code and learn from that in time. I don't know the answer.

Andrew S.

Paul Furman said:
I'm guessing now that you are asking for a wysiwyg editor that creates
layout effects with CSS rather than tables. Then you could study the
resulting code and learn from that in time. I don't know the answer.

Yes, I guess that is what I was shooting for.
I guess I will just have to start reading up on the subject.

Thanks,
Andrew S.