tables, dreamweaver

[blu|shark]

hi,

hopefully my question won't be offtopic. i was hoping someone could
help me:
i'm trying to deal with large table which has every second row
coloured, with Dreamweaver MX. the problem is: every time i add a row
in the table, i have to manually re-colour every following row.

is there a way to automate this, using dreamweaver or not?

any idea is welcome.

the table lies here: http://free-du.hinet.hr/trials/frames.html
although i think you all know what i'm talking about.

thanks in advance!
Matija

Whitecrest

hi,

hopefully my question won't be offtopic. i was hoping someone could
help me:
i'm trying to deal with large table which has every second row
coloured, with Dreamweaver MX. the problem is: every time i add a row
in the table, i have to manually re-colour every following row.

is there a way to automate this, using dreamweaver or not?

You might want to think about using some server side scripting to
automate that. If you automate it, then the code to color each row
differently is pretty simple, just see if it is an odd or even row and
color appropriately.

Sid Ismail

: hopefully my question won't be offtopic. i was hoping someone could
: help me:
: i'm trying to deal with large table which has every second row
: coloured, with Dreamweaver MX. the problem is: every time i add a row
: in the table, i have to manually re-colour every following row.
:
: is there a way to automate this, using dreamweaver or not?

Re-colour it with DW. Should be easy - 4 clicks.

Sid

Steve R.

[blu|shark wrote in message ...
i'm trying to deal with large table which has every second row
coloured,
the table lies here: http://free-du.hinet.hr/trials/frames.html

Wow, is that ectremely difficult to read or what?

Do you ever see a newspaper with white text on very dark colours?

So why do people insist on doing it on the web?

Use black text on white and a pale colour or light grey.

I'd make two different coloured rows, then copy and paste the HTML to make four rows, then copy and
paste that HTML making 8 rows, then do the same again to make 16 rows and so on. Just enter the data
when you've finished. Hardly takes any time.

Steve :~)

[blu|shark]

[blu|shark wrote in message ...
i'm trying to deal with large table which has every second row
coloured,
the table lies here: http://free-du.hinet.hr/trials/frames.html
Wow, is that ectremely difficult to read or what?
Do you ever see a newspaper with white text on very dark colours?
So why do people insist on doing it on the web?
Use black text on white and a pale colour or light grey.

i find it much easier to read bright (but now white) text on dark (but
not black) background. that is exactly what i did on the above
mentioned paged, if viewed on a calibrated monitor. green calms and
rests eyes. ergonomics agree, afaik.
anyhow, it's not so important since visitors spend little time on the
page and usually know exactly which line of the table they're looking
for.
I'd make two different coloured rows, then copy and paste the HTML to make four rows, then copy and
paste that HTML making 8 rows, then do the same again to make 16 rows and so on. Just enter the data
when you've finished. Hardly takes any time.

yes, that's a good idea, but the problem is i need a dynamic system,
meaning i update table during years, and then manually need to
recolour every row below. i could do what you've suggested, but what
with the data? would copy/paste work?

i was just hoping that dreamweaver had some great feature which i've
been missing till now. :-(

above everything else, i have to deal with this really irritating bug
where i'm unable to select table cells after few moments of working in
DW, so i need to re-open the document.

[blu|shark]

You might want to think about using some server side scripting to
automate that. If you automate it, then the code to color each row
differently is pretty simple, just see if it is an odd or even row and
color appropriately.

i know, but i have no server side scripts available, just FTP and HTTP
access, nothing else.

PeterL

could you please give me a bit of details, i'm really interested?
which 4 clicks?

Not being overly smart but there is a few dedicated Dreamweaver NGs...

I use
macromedia.dreamweaver

which is quite friendly and ready to help with DW specifics.

PeterL

Petes Page
http://leach01.co.uk

Jordanstown Schools website
http://jord.org.uk

Sid Ismail

: On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:20:06 +0200, Sid Ismail <[email protected]>
: wrote:
:
: >Re-colour it with DW. Should be easy - 4 clicks.
:
: could you please give me a bit of details, i'm really interested?
: which 4 clicks?

Open your file - highlight your table.

Command--->Format table--->OK

Sid

Adrienne

yes, that's a good idea, but the problem is i need a dynamic system,
meaning i update table during years, and then manually need to
recolour every row below. i could do what you've suggested, but what
with the data? would copy/paste work?

You could do something like this:

..rowodd {background-color: light green; color: black;}
..roweven {background-color: white; color: black;}

That would reduce your copying and pasting to two rows. I don't know,
maybe there's some client side javascript that could do a document write to
your table.
i was just hoping that dreamweaver had some great feature which i've
been missing till now. :-(

above everything else, i have to deal with this really irritating bug
where i'm unable to select table cells after few moments of working in
DW, so i need to re-open the document.

Maybe get a new editor?

[blu|shark]

Open your file - highlight your table.

Command--->Format table--->OK

thank you so much, this was what i was really looking for!

thanks to all other replies, i'll think about them too.