tables, dreamweaver

Discussion in 'HTML' started by [blu|shark], Nov 17, 2003.

  1. [blu|shark]

    [blu|shark] Guest

    hi,

    hopefully my question won't be offtopic. i was hoping someone could
    help me:
    i'm trying to deal with large table which has every second row
    coloured, with Dreamweaver MX. the problem is: every time i add a row
    in the table, i have to manually re-colour every following row.

    is there a way to automate this, using dreamweaver or not?

    any idea is welcome.

    the table lies here: http://free-du.hinet.hr/trials/frames.html
    although i think you all know what i'm talking about.

    thanks in advance!
    Matija

    --
    urban: http://www.assault.tk/
    design: http://www.dna-collective.tk/

    [blu|shark], Nov 17, 2003

  2. [blu|shark]

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    __ says...
    > hi,
    >
    > hopefully my question won't be offtopic. i was hoping someone could
    > help me:
    > i'm trying to deal with large table which has every second row
    > coloured, with Dreamweaver MX. the problem is: every time i add a row
    > in the table, i have to manually re-colour every following row.
    >
    > is there a way to automate this, using dreamweaver or not?

    You might want to think about using some server side scripting to
    automate that. If you automate it, then the code to color each row
    differently is pretty simple, just see if it is an odd or even row and
    color appropriately.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 18, 2003

  3. [blu|shark]

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 00:35:55 +0100, "[blu|shark]" <__>
    wrote:

    : hopefully my question won't be offtopic. i was hoping someone could
    : help me:
    : i'm trying to deal with large table which has every second row
    : coloured, with Dreamweaver MX. the problem is: every time i add a row
    : in the table, i have to manually re-colour every following row.
    :
    : is there a way to automate this, using dreamweaver or not?

    Re-colour it with DW. Should be easy - 4 clicks.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 18, 2003
  4. [blu|shark]

    Steve R. Guest

    [blu|shark wrote in message ...
    > i'm trying to deal with large table which has every second row
    > coloured,
    > the table lies here: http://free-du.hinet.hr/trials/frames.html

    Wow, is that ectremely difficult to read or what?

    Do you ever see a newspaper with white text on very dark colours?

    So why do people insist on doing it on the web?

    Use black text on white and a pale colour or light grey.

    I'd make two different coloured rows, then copy and paste the HTML to make four rows, then copy and
    paste that HTML making 8 rows, then do the same again to make 16 rows and so on. Just enter the data
    when you've finished. Hardly takes any time.

    Steve :~)

    Steve R., Nov 18, 2003
  5. [blu|shark]

    [blu|shark] Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:04:45 GMT, "Steve R."
    <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >[blu|shark wrote in message ...
    >> i'm trying to deal with large table which has every second row
    >> coloured,
    >> the table lies here: http://free-du.hinet.hr/trials/frames.html

    >Wow, is that ectremely difficult to read or what?
    >Do you ever see a newspaper with white text on very dark colours?
    >So why do people insist on doing it on the web?
    >Use black text on white and a pale colour or light grey.

    i find it much easier to read bright (but now white) text on dark (but
    not black) background. that is exactly what i did on the above
    mentioned paged, if viewed on a calibrated monitor. green calms and
    rests eyes. ergonomics agree, afaik.
    anyhow, it's not so important since visitors spend little time on the
    page and usually know exactly which line of the table they're looking
    for.

    >I'd make two different coloured rows, then copy and paste the HTML to make four rows, then copy and
    >paste that HTML making 8 rows, then do the same again to make 16 rows and so on. Just enter the data
    >when you've finished. Hardly takes any time.

    yes, that's a good idea, but the problem is i need a dynamic system,
    meaning i update table during years, and then manually need to
    recolour every row below. i could do what you've suggested, but what
    with the data? would copy/paste work?

    i was just hoping that dreamweaver had some great feature which i've
    been missing till now. :-(

    above everything else, i have to deal with this really irritating bug
    where i'm unable to select table cells after few moments of working in
    DW, so i need to re-open the document.

    [blu|shark], Nov 18, 2003
  6. [blu|shark]

    [blu|shark] Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:17:23 -0500, Whitecrest <>
    wrote:

    >You might want to think about using some server side scripting to
    >automate that. If you automate it, then the code to color each row
    >differently is pretty simple, just see if it is an odd or even row and
    >color appropriately.

    i know, but i have no server side scripts available, just FTP and HTTP
    access, nothing else.

    [blu|shark], Nov 18, 2003
  7. [blu|shark]

    [blu|shark] Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:20:06 +0200, Sid Ismail <>
    wrote:

    >Re-colour it with DW. Should be easy - 4 clicks.

    could you please give me a bit of details, i'm really interested?
    which 4 clicks?

    [blu|shark], Nov 18, 2003
  8. [blu|shark]

    PeterL Guest

    [blu|shark] wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:20:06 +0200, Sid Ismail <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Re-colour it with DW. Should be easy - 4 clicks.

    > could you please give me a bit of details, i'm really interested?
    > which 4 clicks?

    Not being overly smart but there is a few dedicated Dreamweaver NGs...

    I use
    macromedia.dreamweaver

    which is quite friendly and ready to help with DW specifics.

    PeterL

    Petes Page
    http://leach01.co.uk

    Jordanstown Schools website
    http://jord.org.uk

    PeterL, Nov 18, 2003
  9. [blu|shark]

    Sid Ismail Guest

    : wrote:
    :
    : >Re-colour it with DW. Should be easy - 4 clicks.
    :
    : could you please give me a bit of details, i'm really interested?
    : which 4 clicks?

    Open your file - highlight your table.

    Command--->Format table--->OK

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 18, 2003
  10. [blu|shark]

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "[blu|shark]" <__>
    writing in news::

    > yes, that's a good idea, but the problem is i need a dynamic system,
    > meaning i update table during years, and then manually need to
    > recolour every row below. i could do what you've suggested, but what
    > with the data? would copy/paste work?

    You could do something like this:

    ..rowodd {background-color: light green; color: black;}
    ..roweven {background-color: white; color: black;}

    That would reduce your copying and pasting to two rows. I don't know,
    maybe there's some client side javascript that could do a document write to
    your table.

    > i was just hoping that dreamweaver had some great feature which i've
    > been missing till now. :-(
    >
    > above everything else, i have to deal with this really irritating bug
    > where i'm unable to select table cells after few moments of working in
    > DW, so i need to re-open the document.

    Maybe get a new editor?

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Nov 18, 2003
  11. [blu|shark]

    [blu|shark] Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:47:23 +0200, Sid Ismail <>
    wrote:

    >Open your file - highlight your table.
    >
    >Command--->Format table--->OK

    thank you so much, this was what i was really looking for!

    thanks to all other replies, i'll think about them too.

    [blu|shark], Nov 22, 2003