Tables: Fixing the column widths absolutely ?

Bergamot

Alan said:
I implemented the scrolling tbody solution and, yippee, it worked
perfectly ... under Firefox. Here is the URL ...

http://alse.load4.net/tabletest/table_test03.html

But under IE (6.0 SP1), it all goes haywire.

But of course. ;) Most of those tutorials that recommended just using
overflow:scroll state that it doesn't work in IE6.

Have you seen:
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/examples/nonscroll-table-header.html

It's one of the original samples for scrolling tables, and still works
cross-browser AFAIK.

And do start using a proper DOCTYPE if you expect any consistency across
browsers. Stick with HTML 4.01 Strict.

Jonathan N. Little

Bergamot said:
If you look back farther in the thread, you'll see that's how he was
doing it before. Separating the table headers from the data is
semantically incorrect and prone to layout problems, which is exactly
what the OP was trying to correct.

If the "scrolling" table is his wish, and your want IE on board I don't
think he has any choice.

Jonathan N. Little

Jonathan said:
If the "scrolling" table is his wish, and your want IE on board I don't

and *you* want IE on board

Man, I have a hyperactive r-finger!