Tables in various browsers (mozilla vs. IE)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Chad Lupkes, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Chad Lupkes

    Chad Lupkes Guest

    Hi all,

    I just installed Mozilla Firebird to see how it worked, and I went to one of
    the websites I created. The navigation table is huge! At least twice the
    size of the same table in Internet Explorer. So, my question is what makes
    the difference?

    The table is set as class "main2", which is set as such:

    ..main2 {
    background-image: url(/gifs/pentbackground2.gif);
    border: medium solid;
    text-align: center;
    }

    There is no cellpadding or other setting that I can see in the code for the
    table, but it renders with lots of padding anyway in Firebird, almost none
    in IE.

    Here's the home page, and the navigation table is right under the banner.

    http://www.aquatabch.org/

    Any ideas why the table would look so different?

    --
    Chad Lupkes

    http://www.seattlewebcrafters.com/

    ---

    Chad Lupkes, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Chad Lupkes wrote:
    > ... it renders with lots of padding anyway in
    > Firebird, almost none in IE.
    >
    > Here's the home page, and the navigation table is right under the
    > banner.
    >
    > http://www.aquatabch.org/
    >
    > Any ideas why the table would look so different?

    Before trying to fix any individual disply issues you really should address
    the issues raised here:

    < http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.aquatabch.org/ >
    and here:
    <
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.aquatabch.org/&warning=1&profile=css2 >

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Aug 14, 2003

  3. Chad Lupkes

    Chad Lupkes Guest

    Hi William,

    Thanks for pointing those out. I've fixed most of the errors that these two
    validators found, however the map ID problem that the first one mentions is
    because the map itself is part of the navigation.html include file that I
    bring into the page twice, once at the top and once at the bottom. The only
    way I can think of to get around this is to bring the map in as it's own
    include file at the beginning of each page. Does the duplicate ID's cause
    problems for browsers? Both maps are identical.

    Chad Lupkes, Aug 15, 2003
  4. Chad Lupkes

    Chad Lupkes Guest

    Well, well. A little tenacity and I discovered the problem. IE was
    not giving any extra space to the paragraph mark, but FireBird was.
    Take out the <p> junk, and it looks great!

    Chad Lupkes, Aug 16, 2003