Tables in various browsers (mozilla vs. IE)

Chad Lupkes

Hi all,

I just installed Mozilla Firebird to see how it worked, and I went to one of
the websites I created. The navigation table is huge! At least twice the
size of the same table in Internet Explorer. So, my question is what makes
the difference?

The table is set as class "main2", which is set as such:

..main2 {
background-image: url(/gifs/pentbackground2.gif);
border: medium solid;
text-align: center;
}

There is no cellpadding or other setting that I can see in the code for the
table, but it renders with lots of padding anyway in Firebird, almost none
in IE.

Here's the home page, and the navigation table is right under the banner.

http://www.aquatabch.org/

Any ideas why the table would look so different?

William Tasso

Chad said:
... it renders with lots of padding anyway in
Firebird, almost none in IE.

Here's the home page, and the navigation table is right under the
banner.

http://www.aquatabch.org/

Any ideas why the table would look so different?

Before trying to fix any individual disply issues you really should address
the issues raised here:

< http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.aquatabch.org/ >
and here:
<
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.aquatabch.org/&warning=1&profile=css2 >

Chad Lupkes

Hi William,

Thanks for pointing those out. I've fixed most of the errors that these two
validators found, however the map ID problem that the first one mentions is
because the map itself is part of the navigation.html include file that I
bring into the page twice, once at the top and once at the bottom. The only
way I can think of to get around this is to bring the map in as it's own
include file at the beginning of each page. Does the duplicate ID's cause
problems for browsers? Both maps are identical.

--
Chad Lupkes
(e-mail address removed)
William Tasso said:
Before trying to fix any individual disply issues you really should address
the issues raised here:

< http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.aquatabch.org/ >
and here:
<
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.aquatabch.org/&warning=1&profile=css2 >

Chad Lupkes

Well, well. A little tenacity and I discovered the problem. IE was
not giving any extra space to the paragraph mark, but FireBird was.
Take out the <p> junk, and it looks great!