Tabular Data Control

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Anon, May 22, 2008.

  1. Anon

    Anon Guest

    I have been experimenting with Tabular Data Control to read and navigate a
    simple text file database (intranet).

    <Object id="data5" CLASSID="CLSID:333C7BC4-460F-11D0-BC04-0080C7055A83">
    <Param Name="DataURL" VALUE="productdatabase1.txt">
    <Param Name="UseHeader" VALUE="TRUE">
    <Param Name="TextQualifier" VALUE="~">
    <Param Name="FieldDelim" VALUE=" ">
    <Param id="pfilter" Name="Filter" VALUE="Name = ">
    </Object>

    I note that TDC is proprietary to IE (ActiveX controls). Is there a DOM
    alternative to accessing a tabular text database client-side?

    To set variables with individual values from the database, I use Filter to
    display one record (row) in a table (or in spans), and the variable is
    assigned the innerHTML using document.getElementById. I'd like to assign
    the variables prior to display. Using display:none or visibility:hidden
    doesn't seem that elegant of a solution. Is there a method of reading a
    datasrc value by name?

    Thanks in advance!
    Scott
    in Dunedin