    where can I get more info for each tag?

    ===============
    xmlns:sql="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:mapping-schema">
    Carmen Sei, Mar 23, 2008

    It is a W3C recommendation, see <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/>
    for an informal introduction and <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/>
    and <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/> for the formal specification.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Mar 23, 2008

  3. Carmen Sei

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Carmen Sei wrote:
    > for each tag in a namespace, is there easy way to get documentation on
    > what's that tag use for?

    Sometimes.

    > for Java, we have Java Doc, but for XML, do we usually refer to schema
    > file for the XML?

    Unfortunately, that's sometimes all there is.
    Or a DTD.
    Or the owner's or creator's web site (eg www.docbook.org is an excellent
    source of documentation about DocBook). Some industrial Schemas are
    proprietary, so you have to be a member (or pay) to get the doc.
    Or buy a book...

    There have been at least a dozen proposals over the years for methods of
    embedding documentation in Schemas and DTDs, mostly in an extractable
    format, rather like Knuth's Literate Programming _WEB_, so as to
    generate XML documentation, but:

    a) none of them have taken off

    b) programmers don't write documentation :)

    c) document engineers do, but not usually in the Schema/DTD

    d) no-one can agree on how to do it right

    The most successful one IMHO is ODD, used to generate grammars and some
    documentation for the TEI (www.tei-c.org).

    > like XMLSchema name space, it has all the tags like
    > <xs:sequence>
    > <xs:element>
    > <xs:annotation>
    >
    > where can I get more info for each tag?

    This is all documented in the XML Schema Specification at
    http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema

    > xmlns:sql="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:mapping-schema">

    For Microsoft Schemas, ask Microsoft.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/