Tag Soup

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Sharon, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > It's supposed to be bad form to use lots of <p> <br> to make spaces where

    you want.
    For someone who is relatively new to CSS, I ask why? I am wondering if some
    people are not 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater' when it comes to
    CSS. What is the object of using a
    p.specialclass{
    margin top: 1em (or 2x, or 0.01%, or whatever the next migration will be);
    }

    Then in your HTML, you need

    Versus a simple <br> in the code.

    Where does that save me time? Where does it save the executing computer
    time? How, pray tell, does that 'clean up' my code? I could go on ad
    infinitum on this topic. I use both, when they are best used. And until
    someone yanks that <br> out of my little hands, I will still keep using it
    when it is the best thing to use for the situation. If it is a repetitive
    break, I will use CSS.

    Take Care, Sharon
    Sharon, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Sharon

    Paul Furman Guest

    It's supposed to be bad form to use lots of <p> <br> to make spaces
    where you want. What is the alternative? Should I set top/bottom margins
    to accomplish this? Often it's a case by case basis and doesn't seem to
    justify setting up a stylesheet class, so I'm inclined to put it in the
    tag as style="margin-top: 1em;" Is that OK to do? It's so abstract and
    difficult to follow when every little thing has to translate over to the
    style sheet.
    Paul Furman, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Sharon

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Paul Furman <>
    writing in news::

    > It's supposed to be bad form to use lots of <p> <br> to make spaces
    > where you want. What is the alternative? Should I set top/bottom margins
    > to accomplish this? Often it's a case by case basis and doesn't seem to
    > justify setting up a stylesheet class, so I'm inclined to put it in the
    > tag as style="margin-top: 1em;" Is that OK to do? It's so abstract and
    > difficult to follow when every little thing has to translate over to the
    > style sheet.

    It's whatever logical markup it is. If it's a paragraph, then it's a
    paragraph. If it's a line break, then it's a line break. I usually don't
    mess with margins on paragraphs, unless I'm trying to align it with
    something, and then I might use margin in that one instance. Again,
    usually, if you don't mess with it, it works out just fine.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Sharon

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <c1m745$1k8d9k$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Versus a simple <br> in the code.
    > Where does that save me time? Where does it save the executing computer
    > time? How, pray tell, does that 'clean up' my code? I could go on ad
    > infinitum on this topic. I use both, when they are best used....

    Very good plan. Use what is efficient and effective for the specific
    situation at hand.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Sharon

    ollimax Guest

    Sharon wrote:
    > "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>It's supposed to be bad form to use lots of <p> <br> to make spaces where

    > you want.
    > For someone who is relatively new to CSS, I ask why? I am wondering if some
    > people are not 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater' when it comes to
    > CSS. What is the object of using a
    > p.specialclass{
    > margin top: 1em (or 2x, or 0.01%, or whatever the next migration will be);
    > }
    >
    > Then in your HTML, you need
    >
    > Versus a simple <br> in the code.
    >
    > Where does that save me time? Where does it save the executing computer
    > time? How, pray tell, does that 'clean up' my code? I could go on ad
    > infinitum on this topic. I use both, when they are best used. And until
    > someone yanks that <br> out of my little hands, I will still keep using it
    > when it is the best thing to use for the situation. If it is a repetitive
    > break, I will use CSS.
    >
    > Take Care, Sharon

    You could have this sort of a structure:

    And in the css:
    #content p{
    something : odd;
    }

    If you use SSI's this is quite easy. TYou don't have to add any special
    markup in <p>'s.

    Oll¡maX!
    ollimax, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Sharon

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > ...Often it's a case by case basis and doesn't seem to
    > justify setting up a stylesheet class, so I'm inclined to put it in the
    > tag as style="margin-top: 1em;" Is that OK to do?

    It seems one reason is that the CSS validator does not read the inline
    styles.
    Paul Furman, Feb 27, 2004