    We'll have a great time!

    xoxo- Katrina

    http://EcstaseaYachtCharter.com

    Katrina, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Is it me, or is spam getting really hard to catch these days?

    This spam email has almost nothing "spammy" about it. The only SA rule that this
    hit was BAYES (which shows how powerful Bayes is). I just added rules for the
    words "fantasy" and "register", but I have to give them low scores because they
    might occur in legitimate mail.

    Sigh.
    Daniel.

    --
    Daniel Carrera | PGP: 6643 8C8B 3522 66CB D16C D779 2FDD 7DAC 9AF7 7A88
    Math PhD. UMD | http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/pgp.html

    * * * * * Weekly Smile * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Sign in a hotel in Athens:
    Visitors are expected to complain at the office between the hours
    of 9 and 11 A.M. daily.

    Daniel Carrera, Aug 4, 2003

  3. On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 04:54:56PM +0900, Daniel Carrera wrote:
    > Is it me, or is spam getting really hard to catch these days?

    Yes; because more people are using spam filters, the spammers are adapting
    their messages to bypass them. This is an arms race which I have not bought
    into.

    And now, just to trigger your spam filter, I am going to write:

    int main(void)
    {
    register int fantasy;
    }

    Regards,

    Brian.

    Brian Candler, Aug 4, 2003
  4. ----- Original Message -----
    > Is it me, or is spam getting really hard to catch these days?
    > This spam email has almost nothing "spammy" about it. The only SA rule

    that
    > this hit was BAYES (which shows how powerful Bayes is). I just added

    rules
    > for the > words "fantasy" and "register", but I have to give them low

    scores
    > because they might occur in legitimate mail.

    My fantasy is that 200 more people will register for the
    Ruby Conference in Austin in November.

    :)
    Hal

    --
    Hal Fulton

    Hal E. Fulton, Aug 4, 2003
  5. Katrina

    Ben Giddings Guest

    On Mon August 4 2003 10:18 pm, Clifford Heath wrote:
    > "make.*reservation"
    > "thanks for.*regist"

    On this list I can easily imagine seeing:

    Ruby Conference 2003 is rapidly approaching. If you'd like to make a
    reservation, talk to me, if you've already registered, thanks for your
    registration.

    The rules in Spam Assasin are pretty good though. They nail most of the
    nigerian scams, etc. that I see. Mostly they seem to do it based on
    malformed / forged headers too, something that is much more clearly a marking
    of a spam system, but harder for people to spot.

    It's just that it's always so hard to eliminate the false positives.

    Oh well, the good news is that there finally is a real-world purpose to good
    AI programs.

    Ben

    Ben Giddings, Aug 5, 2003
  6. Katrina

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben Giddings <> wrote:
    >On Mon August 4 2003 10:18 pm, Clifford Heath wrote:
    >> "make.*reservation"
    >> "thanks for.*regist"

    >On this list I can easily imagine seeing:
    >
    > Ruby Conference 2003 is rapidly approaching. If you'd like to make a
    > reservation, talk to me, if you've already registered, thanks for your
    > registration.

    Yeah, but I notice that you couldn't imagine seeing the word 'girlfriend'
    show up in a message to this list ;-)

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Aug 5, 2003