take access database offline

Gert Albertse

How do I make an access database offline or not available for users from
the internet using asp code.

My Sample:

My users authenticate against an access database but on a weekly basis,
I would like to make it not available, to do my updates.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Have an include file, that makes your connection for all end-user pages. It
checks a text file, say /allowAccess.txt, for a flag. If the flag is 0,
write a nice message that says the DB is down for maintenance, otherwise
continue as usual.

When you are performing your updates, hit an admin page that overwrites this
text file with the opposite flag. Don't forget to change it back when you're
done.

What kind of updates are you performing weekly that requires the database to
be unavailable?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Gert said:
How do I make an access database offline or not available for users
from the internet using asp code.

My Sample:

My users authenticate against an access database but on a weekly
basis, I would like to make it not available, to do my updates.
a. Change its name
b. Move it to another folder
c. Revoke NTFS permissions to if for the IUSR account