Taking Over the Screen - Tkinter

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fuzzyman, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    I'm working on a presentation program that needs to produce 'full
    screen' images.

    The effect will be something like a powerpoint presentation.
    In actual fact it's a song database with lyrics - and each 'screen'
    will need a widget for next verse, previous verse, chorus etc..... so
    what I'd really like is a Tk text widget that is full screen sized.

    (For the moment I'll just use a large window - most of the work will
    be in building the interface to the database).

    How do I either -

    1) Produce a borderless full screen window *or*
    2) Detect the window size

    using Tkinter pereferably................

    Thanks,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Fuzzyman

    Eric Brunel Guest

    Fuzzyman wrote:
    > I'm working on a presentation program that needs to produce 'full
    > screen' images.
    >
    > The effect will be something like a powerpoint presentation.
    > In actual fact it's a song database with lyrics - and each 'screen'
    > will need a widget for next verse, previous verse, chorus etc..... so
    > what I'd really like is a Tk text widget that is full screen sized.
    >
    > (For the moment I'll just use a large window - most of the work will
    > be in building the interface to the database).
    >
    > How do I either -
    >
    > 1) Produce a borderless full screen window *or*
    > 2) Detect the window size
    >
    > using Tkinter pereferably................
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fuzzy
    >
    > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantibots/pythonutils.html

    To produce a borderless window: method overrideredirect on Toplevel's; this
    makes the window manager (if that has any meaning on your platform) ignore the
    window, so it doesn't draw any decorations.

    To get the size of the screen: methods winfo_screenwidth and winfo_screenheight
    on any Tkinter object.

    To resize your window: method geometry on Toplevel's; the geometry is encoded in
    a string with the format "WxH+X+Y", so you'll want:
    "%sx%s+0+0" % (w.winfo_screenwidth(), w.winfo_screenheight())

    You may also have to explicitely call the method tkraise on your borderless
    window on Windows, because such windows have a tendency to appear below all
    other ones.

    HTH
    --
    - Eric Brunel <eric dot brunel at pragmadev dot com> -
    Eric Brunel, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Eric Brunel <> wrote in message news:<c1kfb2$4dl$>...
    > Fuzzyman wrote:
    > > I'm working on a presentation program that needs to produce 'full
    > > screen' images.
    > >
    > > The effect will be something like a powerpoint presentation.
    > > In actual fact it's a song database with lyrics - and each 'screen'
    > > will need a widget for next verse, previous verse, chorus etc..... so
    > > what I'd really like is a Tk text widget that is full screen sized.
    > >
    > > (For the moment I'll just use a large window - most of the work will
    > > be in building the interface to the database).
    > >
    > > How do I either -
    > >
    > > 1) Produce a borderless full screen window *or*
    > > 2) Detect the window size
    > >
    > > using Tkinter pereferably................
    > >

    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Fuzzy
    > >
    > > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantibots/pythonutils.html

    > To produce a borderless window: method overrideredirect on Toplevel's; this
    > makes the window manager (if that has any meaning on your platform) ignore the
    > window, so it doesn't draw any decorations.
    >
    > To get the size of the screen: methods winfo_screenwidth and winfo_screenheight
    > on any Tkinter object.
    >
    > To resize your window: method geometry on Toplevel's; the geometry is encoded in
    > a string with the format "WxH+X+Y", so you'll want:
    > "%sx%s+0+0" % (w.winfo_screenwidth(), w.winfo_screenheight())
    >
    > You may also have to explicitely call the method tkraise on your borderless
    > window on Windows, because such windows have a tendency to appear below all
    > other ones.
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks very much - that's exactly the help I needed, much appreciated.

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Feb 27, 2004