Taking Time and Date from System in C

Tameem

i am a new C programmer. i want to calculate someone's age. my input
would be his birth date. like : Date: 07
Month: 12
Year: 1988
and the program will take the current date from system and calculate
his age,
how can i do that in C. please inform me.

Walter Roberson

i am a new C programmer. i want to calculate someone's age. my input
would be his birth date. like : Date: 07
Month: 12
Year: 1988
and the program will take the current date from system and calculate
his age,

By the way, what do the specifications say should happen for
people born on February 29th? And are the "lost days" to be
taken into account (the various calendar reconciliations taken
into account) ?

Flash Gordon

Tameem wrote, On 09/05/08 19:59:
i am a new C programmer. i want to calculate someone's age. my input
would be his birth date. like : Date: 07
Month: 12
Year: 1988
and the program will take the current date from system and calculate
his age,
how can i do that in C. please inform me.

Provide a method for the user to provide input. My preference would be
using the command line, but you might be required to send prompts to
stdout and read input from stdin. Write some code to pass and validate
the input. Write some code find out the current date. Write some code to
find the difference between the two. C provides various library
functions to assist in these tasks.

If you are completely stuck then you should probably ask your tutor for
extra help. Otherwise make an attempt and post it here.

jacob navia

Tameem said:
please tell me the program codes to add current date on C.

/* LOCALTIM.C: This program uses time to get the current time
* and then uses localtime to convert this time to a structure
* representing the local time. The program converts the result
* from a 24-hour clock to a 12-hour clock and determines the
* proper extension (AM or PM).
*/

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <time.h>

int main( void )
{
struct tm *newtime;
char am_pm[] = "AM";
time_t long_time;

time( &long_time ); /* Get time as long integer. */
newtime = localtime( &long_time ); /* Convert to local time. */

if( newtime->tm_hour > 12 ) /* Set up extension. */
strcpy( am_pm, "PM" );
if( newtime->tm_hour > 12 ) /* Convert from 24-hour */
newtime->tm_hour -= 12; /* to 12-hour clock. */
if( newtime->tm_hour == 0 ) /*Set hour to 12 if midnight. */
newtime->tm_hour = 12;

printf( "%.19s %s\n", asctime( newtime ), am_pm );
return 0;