tallying occurrences in list

kj

Task: given a list, produce a tally of all the distinct items in
the list (for some suitable notion of "distinct").

Example: if the list is ['a', 'b', 'c', 'a', 'b', 'c', 'a', 'b',
'c', 'a'], then the desired tally would look something like this:

[('a', 4), ('b', 3), ('c', 3)]

I find myself needing this simple operation so often that I wonder:

1. is there a standard name for it?
2. is there already a function to do it somewhere in the Python
standard library?

Granted, as long as the list consists only of items that can be
used as dictionary keys (and Python's equality test for hashkeys
agrees with the desired notion of "distinctness" for the tallying),
then the following does the job passably well:

def tally(c):
t = dict()
for x in c:
t[x] = t.get(x, 0) + 1
return sorted(t.items(), key=lambda x: (-x[1], x[0]))

But, of course, if a standard library solution exists it would be
preferable. Otherwise I either cut-and-paste the above every time
I need it, or I create a module just for it. (I don't like either
of these, though I suppose that the latter is much better than the
former.)

So anyway, I thought I'd ask. :)

~K

Paul Rubin

kj said:
1. is there a standard name for it?

I don't know of one, or a stdlib for it, but it's pretty trivial.
def tally(c):
t = dict()
for x in c:
t[x] = t.get(x, 0) + 1
return sorted(t.items(), key=lambda x: (-x[1], x[0]))

I like to use defaultdict and tuple unpacking for code like that:

from collections import defaultdict
def tally(c):
t = defaultdict(int)
for x in c:
t[x] += 1
return sorted(t.iteritems(), key=lambda (k,v): (-v, k))

Peter Otten

kj said:
[...]

Python 3.1 has, and 2.7 will have collections.Counter:
[('a', 4), ('c', 3), ('b', 3)]

Peter

Magdoll

kj said:
1. is there a standard name for it?

I don't know of one, or a stdlib for it, but it's pretty trivial.
def tally(c):
    t = dict()
    for x in c:
        t[x] = t.get(x, 0) + 1
    return sorted(t.items(), key=lambda x: (-x[1], x[0]))

I like to use defaultdict and tuple unpacking for code like that:

 from collections import defaultdict
 def tally(c):
     t = defaultdict(int)
     for x in c:
         t[x] += 1
     return sorted(t.iteritems(), key=lambda (k,v): (-v, k))

I would also very much like to see this become part of the standard
library. Sure the code is easy to write but I use this incredibly
often and I've always wished I would have a one-line function call
that has the same output as the mysql query:

"SELECT id, count(*) FROM table GROUP BY somefield"

or maybe there is already a short solution to this that I'm not aware
of...

Magdoll

kj said:
[...]

Thanks Peter, I think you just answered my post :)

MRAB

kj said:
[...]

In Python 3 there's the 'Counter' class in the 'collections' module.
It'll also be in Python 2.7.

For earlier versions there's this:

http://code.activestate.com/recipes/576611/

Lie Ryan

kj said:
[...]

from collections import Counter
c = Counter("abcabcabca")
c.most_common()

[('a', 4), ('c', 3), ('b', 3)]

Peter

Thanks Peter, I think you just answered my post :)

If you're using previous versions (2.4 and onwards) then:

[(o, len(list(g))) for o, g in itertools.groupby(sorted(myList))]

Sreenivas Reddy Thatiparthy

[...]

How about this one liner, if you prefer them;
set([(k,yourList.count(k)) for k in yourList])

Paul Rubin

Sreenivas Reddy Thatiparthy said:
How about this one liner, if you prefer them;
set([(k,yourList.count(k)) for k in yourList])

That has a rather bad efficiency problem if the list is large.