tangle

aarklon

Hi folks,

in the article
http://c-faq.com/style/stylewars.html

it is written as

However, a simple, unthinking ban on the goto statement does not
necessarily lead immediately to beautiful programming: an unstructured
programmer is just as capable of constructing a Byzantine tangle
without using any goto's (perhaps substituting oddly-nested loops and
Boolean control variables, instead).

now my question is what is this Byzantine tangle ??? can anybody give
explanations/examples???

Thanks in advance for any help offered

Default User

Hi folks,

in the article
http://c-faq.com/style/stylewars.html

it is written as

However, a simple, unthinking ban on the goto statement does not
necessarily lead immediately to beautiful programming: an unstructured
programmer is just as capable of constructing a Byzantine tangle
without using any goto's (perhaps substituting oddly-nested loops and
Boolean control variables, instead).

now my question is what is this Byzantine tangle ??? can anybody give
explanations/examples???

From http://m-w.com (see sense 4):

Main Entry: 1Byz·an·tine
Pronunciation: 'bi-z&n-"tEn, 'bI-, -"tIn; b&-'zan-", bI-'
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of the ancient city of Byzantium
2 : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of a style of
architecture developed in the Byzantine Empire especially in the 5th
and 6th centuries featuring the dome carried on pendentives over a
square and incrustation with marble veneering and with colored mosaics
on grounds of gold
3 : of or relating to the churches using a traditional Greek rite and
subject to Eastern canon law
4 often not capitalized a : of, relating to, or characterized by a
devious and usually surreptitious manner of operation <a Byzantine
power struggle> b : intricately involved : LABYRINTHINE <rules of
Byzantine complexity>

Brian

Kenneth Brody

Default said:
Hi folks,

in the article
http://c-faq.com/style/stylewars.html

it is written as

However, a simple, unthinking ban on the goto statement does not
necessarily lead immediately to beautiful programming: an unstructured
programmer is just as capable of constructing a Byzantine tangle
without using any goto's (perhaps substituting oddly-nested loops and
Boolean control variables, instead).

now my question is what is this Byzantine tangle ??? can anybody give
explanations/examples???

From http://m-w.com (see sense 4):

Main Entry: 1Byz·an·tine [...]
4 often not capitalized a : of, relating to, or characterized by a
devious and usually surreptitious manner of operation <a Byzantine
power struggle> b : intricately involved : LABYRINTHINE <rules of
Byzantine complexity>

To get a visual on this, a quick Google image search turns up:

http://www.artthouglorious.com/images/products/earrings/byzantine/brass-triangle.jpg