    explanations/examples???

    Thanks in advance for any help offered

    , Apr 17, 2006

  2. Default User Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > in the article
    > http://c-faq.com/style/stylewars.html
    >
    > it is written as
    >
    > However, a simple, unthinking ban on the goto statement does not
    > necessarily lead immediately to beautiful programming: an unstructured
    > programmer is just as capable of constructing a Byzantine tangle
    > without using any goto's (perhaps substituting oddly-nested loops and
    > Boolean control variables, instead).
    >
    > now my question is what is this Byzantine tangle ??? can anybody give
    > explanations/examples???

    From http://m-w.com (see sense 4):

    Main Entry: 1Byz·an·tine
    Pronunciation: 'bi-z&n-"tEn, 'bI-, -"tIn; b&-'zan-", bI-'
    Function: adjective
    1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of the ancient city of Byzantium
    2 : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of a style of
    architecture developed in the Byzantine Empire especially in the 5th
    and 6th centuries featuring the dome carried on pendentives over a
    square and incrustation with marble veneering and with colored mosaics
    on grounds of gold
    3 : of or relating to the churches using a traditional Greek rite and
    subject to Eastern canon law
    4 often not capitalized a : of, relating to, or characterized by a
    devious and usually surreptitious manner of operation <a Byzantine
    power struggle> b : intricately involved : LABYRINTHINE <rules of
    Byzantine complexity>

    Brian

    Default User, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Default User wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > in the article
    > > http://c-faq.com/style/stylewars.html
    > >
    > > it is written as
    > >
    > > However, a simple, unthinking ban on the goto statement does not
    > > necessarily lead immediately to beautiful programming: an unstructured
    > > programmer is just as capable of constructing a Byzantine tangle
    > > without using any goto's (perhaps substituting oddly-nested loops and
    > > Boolean control variables, instead).
    > >
    > > now my question is what is this Byzantine tangle ??? can anybody give
    > > explanations/examples???

    > From http://m-w.com (see sense 4):
    >
    > Main Entry: 1Byz·an·tine

    [...]
    > 4 often not capitalized a : of, relating to, or characterized by a
    > devious and usually surreptitious manner of operation <a Byzantine
    > power struggle> b : intricately involved : LABYRINTHINE <rules of
    > Byzantine complexity>

    To get a visual on this, a quick Google image search turns up:

    http://www.artthouglorious.com/images/products/earrings/byzantine/brass-triangle.jpg

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>

    Kenneth Brody, Apr 17, 2006