target _blank and opening a new window in Firefox

Joined
Jan 24, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Ubi;105233 Wrote:
> > *I* decide how *I* like a new page (even a popup window) to be opended
> > in *my* browser, even on your site. Don't try to run your visitors
> > browsers for them, you may loose a lot of them if you do.

> I agree with you in principle.
> But there are special cases where something that in principle is
> correct
> becomes non-sense.
> This is my case of a small popup window with links.
> It's really non-sense to open 900px wide pages in a small pop-up. I
> think
> Firefox should have made an exception for popups windows.
>
> Daniele

Don't do it, think of another way of doing what you are trying to do.

I know, you probably have a good reason for wanting to do what you want
to do. But bad designers/people in the past have ruined any chance you
have to convince us.

Because of that most users will not like what you are trying to do and
will close the popup/page. They will assume the worst.

Note that some of the Javascript example will not work for some users,
(and might even give them some obscure warnings that will scare them
away from your site).

FFMG

I have a good reason for wanting to open a POP UP or at least a NEW WINDOW. My website is a site that allows users to use a video chat room where an instructor teaches English or Spanish using video chat. The website is used instead of Skype so that control over those who enter the room may be established.

The problem is that in order to send links for Power Points and maybe videos to the students, the students must click on a button to go to their messages inbox. If the page for the messages inbox is not opened in a NEW WINDOW, the video chat session is interrupted. This becomes a problem because the site automatically disallows return to the video chat once 15 minutes have passed from the class start time.

In this situation, it is imperative that the browser open a NEW WINDOW. It is also preferred that the NEW WINDOW is actually a NEW WINDOW so that when the student closes the Messages Inbox page that he does not inadvertently close the Video Chat page.

This is a situation where it is best for the user for the web designer to take control of whether a new page is opened or not. Otherwise, paying customers who are booted from class because of a click of the mouse are going to be very angry.