    doesn't close properly and there's still a minimized window in the
    status bar. Can anyone tell me what is the problem, and how can I deal
    with this?
    aiden, Feb 11, 2005

  2. aiden

    Philip Ronan Guest

    aiden wrote:

    > Has anyone got the same problem with this: I used target=_blank to
    > open my resume in a new window. Although I don't like opening a new
    > window first before the user chooses whether to open in the browser or
    > download it, I don't seem to get a workaround. But the problem is,
    > when my resume is open and then I try to close the new window, it
    > doesn't close properly and there's still a minimized window in the
    > status bar. Can anyone tell me what is the problem, and how can I deal
    > with this?

    URL?

    Actually a good workaround would be to stop using target="_blank"
    altogether. What makes you think people want to see your resume in a new
    window anyway?

    --
    phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
    http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/
    Philip Ronan, Feb 11, 2005

  3. aiden

    Steve Pugh Guest

    (aiden) wrote:

    >Has anyone got the same problem with this: I used target=_blank to
    >open my resume in a new window.

    Yes that's a problem. Delete it. Or if you insist on opening new
    windows at least (a) include the required quotes around the value and
    (b) warn the user that a new window is about to be opened.

    >Although I don't like opening a new window

    Quite right.

    >first before the user chooses whether to open in the browser or
    >download it,

    Are you trying to say that your resume is in some format other than
    HTML? That means that for a proportion of users a blank window will
    open and then they'll save the file, or open it in another application
    and the blank window will just sit there feeling uloved and useless.

    >I don't seem to get a workaround.

    Just link to the file normally. Tell the user that it's not a web page
    and then leave it up to them as to whether they save it, open it in a
    new window, open it in a new tab, open it in the existing window/tab,
    ignore it, whatever.

    >But the problem is,
    >when my resume is open and then I try to close the new window, it
    >doesn't close properly and there's still a minimized window in the
    >status bar. Can anyone tell me what is the problem, and how can I deal
    >with this?

    What browser, what OS, what format is the resume in?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Feb 11, 2005
  4. aiden

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Steve Pugh <> wrote:
    > (aiden) wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone got the same problem with this: I used target=_blank to
    >>open my resume in a new window.

    >Yes that's a problem. Delete it. Or if you insist on opening new
    >windows at least (a) include the required quotes around the value

    Whoops. Mistake on my part. Underscores are on the list of permitted
    characters that don't need to be enclosed in quotes. So ignore that.

    Steve Pugh, Feb 11, 2005
  5. aiden

    Karl Core Guest

    "aiden" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone got the same problem with this: I used target=_blank to
    > open my resume in a new window. Although I don't like opening a new
    > window first before the user chooses whether to open in the browser or
    > download it, I don't seem to get a workaround. But the problem is,
    > when my resume is open and then I try to close the new window, it
    > doesn't close properly and there's still a minimized window in the
    > status bar. Can anyone tell me what is the problem, and how can I deal
    > with this?

    The problem is your horrible idea of opening a new window.

    --
    Karl Core
    Hell To Pay, Baltimore Hardcore: http://www.eightninethree.com
    Karl Core, Feb 11, 2005
  6. aiden

    jake Guest

    In message <>, aiden
    <> writes
    >Has anyone got the same problem with this: I used target=_blank to
    >open my resume in a new window. Although I don't like opening a new
    >window first before the user chooses whether to open in the browser or
    >download it, I don't seem to get a workaround. But the problem is,
    >when my resume is open and then I try to close the new window, it
    >doesn't close properly and there's still a minimized window in the
    >status bar. Can anyone tell me what is the problem, and how can I deal
    >with this?

    It would be easier to diagnose if you were to give us a url to the site
    in question.

    regards.
    --
    Jake
    jake, Feb 11, 2005
  7. aiden

    aiden Guest

    hi jake,

    the url is http://www.marcomedia.united.net.kg/

    aiden, Feb 16, 2005
  8. aiden

    Jan Faerber Guest

    aiden ... output:

    > the url is http://www.marcomedia.united.net.kg/

    Let those bubbles burst with a cursor touch.
    And the text which is written letter by letter ... in this case it is a
    little bit irritating that previous dates follow.

    >> >But the problem is,
    >> >when my resume is open and then I try to close the new window, it
    >> >doesn't close properly and there's still a minimized window in the
    >> >status bar.

    Here everything closes properly.

    --
    Jan

    http://html.janfaerber.com
    Jan Faerber, Feb 16, 2005
  9. aiden

    Dan Guest

    aiden wrote:
    > hi jake,
    >
    > the url is http://www.marcomedia.united.net.kg/

    [top-posting snipped; don't top post]

    In my usual browser, the Mozilla Suite, I've configured it to ignore
    the target="_blank" attribute; makes the Web much more pleasant.

    However, I tried it in my copy of Firefox, which isn't configured to
    disable new windows, and found that clicking on the "CV" link caused it
    to launch MS Word with the resume, and also open a useless empty
    Firefox window due to that "_blank" target.

    Using target="_blank" is annoying almost every time it's done, but it's
    particularly pointless and stupid when it's done for non-HTML content,
    which many browsers will open in a separate helper application or
    prompt for download and saving, rather than putting in a normal browser
    window.

    --
    Dan
    Dan, Feb 17, 2005