target=_blank new windows doesn't close properly

aiden

Has anyone got the same problem with this: I used target=_blank to
open my resume in a new window. Although I don't like opening a new
window first before the user chooses whether to open in the browser or
download it, I don't seem to get a workaround. But the problem is,
when my resume is open and then I try to close the new window, it
doesn't close properly and there's still a minimized window in the
status bar. Can anyone tell me what is the problem, and how can I deal
with this?

Philip Ronan

aiden said:
Has anyone got the same problem with this: I used target=_blank to
open my resume in a new window. Although I don't like opening a new
window first before the user chooses whether to open in the browser or
download it, I don't seem to get a workaround. But the problem is,
when my resume is open and then I try to close the new window, it
doesn't close properly and there's still a minimized window in the
status bar. Can anyone tell me what is the problem, and how can I deal
with this?

URL?

Actually a good workaround would be to stop using target="_blank"
altogether. What makes you think people want to see your resume in a new
window anyway?

Steve Pugh

Has anyone got the same problem with this: I used target=_blank to
open my resume in a new window.

Yes that's a problem. Delete it. Or if you insist on opening new
windows at least (a) include the required quotes around the value and
(b) warn the user that a new window is about to be opened.
Although I don't like opening a new window

Quite right.
first before the user chooses whether to open in the browser or
download it,

Are you trying to say that your resume is in some format other than
HTML? That means that for a proportion of users a blank window will
open and then they'll save the file, or open it in another application
and the blank window will just sit there feeling uloved and useless.
I don't seem to get a workaround.

Just link to the file normally. Tell the user that it's not a web page
and then leave it up to them as to whether they save it, open it in a
new window, open it in a new tab, open it in the existing window/tab,
ignore it, whatever.
But the problem is,
when my resume is open and then I try to close the new window, it
doesn't close properly and there's still a minimized window in the
status bar. Can anyone tell me what is the problem, and how can I deal
with this?

What browser, what OS, what format is the resume in?

Steve

Steve Pugh

Steve Pugh said:
Yes that's a problem. Delete it. Or if you insist on opening new
windows at least (a) include the required quotes around the value

Whoops. Mistake on my part. Underscores are on the list of permitted
characters that don't need to be enclosed in quotes. So ignore that.

Steve

Karl Core

aiden said:
Has anyone got the same problem with this: I used target=_blank to
open my resume in a new window. Although I don't like opening a new
window first before the user chooses whether to open in the browser or
download it, I don't seem to get a workaround. But the problem is,
when my resume is open and then I try to close the new window, it
doesn't close properly and there's still a minimized window in the
status bar. Can anyone tell me what is the problem, and how can I deal
with this?

The problem is your horrible idea of opening a new window.

jake

aiden said:
Has anyone got the same problem with this: I used target=_blank to
open my resume in a new window. Although I don't like opening a new
window first before the user chooses whether to open in the browser or
download it, I don't seem to get a workaround. But the problem is,
when my resume is open and then I try to close the new window, it
doesn't close properly and there's still a minimized window in the
status bar. Can anyone tell me what is the problem, and how can I deal
with this?

It would be easier to diagnose if you were to give us a url to the site
in question.

regards.

Dan

aiden said:
[top-posting snipped; don't top post]

In my usual browser, the Mozilla Suite, I've configured it to ignore
the target="_blank" attribute; makes the Web much more pleasant.

However, I tried it in my copy of Firefox, which isn't configured to
disable new windows, and found that clicking on the "CV" link caused it
to launch MS Word with the resume, and also open a useless empty
Firefox window due to that "_blank" target.

Using target="_blank" is annoying almost every time it's done, but it's
particularly pointless and stupid when it's done for non-HTML content,
which many browsers will open in a separate helper application or
prompt for download and saving, rather than putting in a normal browser
window.