TARGET=_blank not in strict HTML....

WindAndWaves

Hi Fakirs

Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
target=_blank, can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?

TIA

- Nicolaas

Andy Dingley

Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
target=_blank, can anyone tell me what to do

Use the Transitional DTD instead.

Why do you need Strict ?

Neal

Hi Fakirs

If we're holy, it's more like holy shit.
Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
target=_blank,
Yeppers.

can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?

1) Use transitional if the application absolutely requires a new window.

2) But the application doesn't require new windows in all likelihood, so
open in the same window. The user can always right-click and open the link
in a new window or tab if that benefits him.

Richard

WindAndWaves said:
Hi Fakirs

Mr. Fakirs has moved. His new address is 1600 pennsylvania ave. Washington
D.C. A very large white house with a lot of land and a big iron gate around
it.

Neal

Mr. Fakirs has moved. His new address is 1600 pennsylvania ave.
Washington
D.C. A very large white house with a lot of land and a big iron gate
around
it.

No, no, you're thinking of Mr. Faker.

jake

WindAndWaves said:
Hi Fakirs

Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
target=_blank, can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?

TIA

- Nicolaas
That's the way it is. If you're not too bothered, you could always
validate the page as 'transitional'.

However.

When I need to open a new window and still validate as 'strict' what I
do is use a piece of Javascript to set the target to "_blank" for the
link in question.

For your visitors with js enabled (that's probably 99% of them) the next
page will open in a new window; for those that don't have js enabled,
the next page will open in the current window.

I also use js to write a 'warning' that the next page will open in a new
window -- important for AT users. The user won't see (or hear) the
warning if js is not enabled.

Not a 100% solution, of course, but 99% suits me.

regards.

Travis Newbury

Whoa, guess you miss read that...

But also from the page:
"You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics
can often be misleading.

Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different
sites attract different audiences. "

No way! Statistics can be misleading? And what the hell is all this
about different sites attracts different audiences. No f'in way!
Everybody goes to every site on the web in equal proportions...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Travis said:
Whoa, guess you miss read that...

Yeah, you knew exactly what I meant.
But also from the page: "You cannot - as a web developer - rely
only on statistics. Statistics can often be misleading.

Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site.
Different sites attract different audiences. "

No way! Statistics can be misleading? And what the hell is all
this about different sites attracts different audiences. No f'in
way! Everybody goes to every site on the web in equal
proportions...

C'mon. It's Christmas. Lighten up.

David's Inner Geek

Travis said:
No way! Statistics can be misleading? And what the hell is all this
about different sites attracts different audiences. No f'in way!
Everybody goes to every site on the web in equal proportions...
To quote Samuel clemmens (AKA Mark Twain):
"There are Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.