    target=_blank, can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?

    TIA

    - Nicolaas
    WindAndWaves, Dec 23, 2004

  2. WindAndWaves

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, WindAndWaves <> said:

    > Hi Fakirs

    Fakirs isn't in today. Will I do?

    > Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
    > target=_blank,

    That's correct - the target attribute is not valid.

    > can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?

    Remove it.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Dec 23, 2004

  3. WindAndWaves

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:12:49 +1300, "WindAndWaves" <>
    wrote:

    >Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
    >target=_blank, can anyone tell me what to do

    Use the Transitional DTD instead.

    Why do you need Strict ?
    Andy Dingley, Dec 24, 2004
  4. WindAndWaves

    Neal Guest

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:12:49 +1300, WindAndWaves <> wrote:

    > Hi Fakirs

    If we're holy, it's more like holy shit.

    > Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
    > target=_blank,

    Yeppers.

    > can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?

    1) Use transitional if the application absolutely requires a new window.

    2) But the application doesn't require new windows in all likelihood, so
    open in the same window. The user can always right-click and open the link
    in a new window or tab if that benefits him.
    Neal, Dec 24, 2004
  5. WindAndWaves

    Richard Guest

    WindAndWaves wrote:

    > Hi Fakirs

    Mr. Fakirs has moved. His new address is 1600 pennsylvania ave. Washington
    D.C. A very large white house with a lot of land and a big iron gate around
    it.

    Richard, Dec 24, 2004
  6. WindAndWaves

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:50:30 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    > WindAndWaves wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Fakirs

    > Mr. Fakirs has moved. His new address is 1600 pennsylvania ave.
    > Washington
    > D.C. A very large white house with a lot of land and a big iron gate
    > around
    > it.

    No, no, you're thinking of Mr. Faker.
    Neal, Dec 24, 2004
  7. WindAndWaves

    Karl Core Guest

    Karl Core, Dec 24, 2004
  8. WindAndWaves

    jake Guest

    In message <YkIyd.834$>, WindAndWaves
    <> writes
    >Hi Fakirs
    >
    >Apparently in HMTL strict, you are not allowed to use <A HREF="..."
    >target=_blank, can anyone tell me what to do instead of target=_blank?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >- Nicolaas

    That's the way it is. If you're not too bothered, you could always
    validate the page as 'transitional'.

    However.

    When I need to open a new window and still validate as 'strict' what I
    do is use a piece of Javascript to set the target to "_blank" for the
    link in question.

    For your visitors with js enabled (that's probably 99% of them) the next
    page will open in a new window; for those that don't have js enabled,
    the next page will open in the current window.

    I also use js to write a 'warning' that the next page will open in a new
    window -- important for AT users. The user won't see (or hear) the
    warning if js is not enabled.

    Not a 100% solution, of course, but 99% suits me.

    regards.

    --
    Jake
    jake, Dec 24, 2004
  9. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 24, 2004
  10. In article <>, lid
    says...
    > jake wrote:
    > > For your visitors with js enabled (that's probably 99% of them)

    > I'd guess it's probably closer to 10%.
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

    Whoa, guess you miss read that...

    But also from the page:
    "You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics
    can often be misleading.

    Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different
    sites attract different audiences. "

    No way! Statistics can be misleading? And what the hell is all this
    about different sites attracts different audiences. No f'in way!
    Everybody goes to every site on the web in equal proportions...

    --
    -=*Tn*=-
    Travis Newbury, Dec 24, 2004
  11. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    >
    >> jake wrote:
    >>
    >>> For your visitors with js enabled (that's probably 99% of them)

    >> I'd guess it's probably closer to 10%.
    >> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

    > Whoa, guess you miss read that...

    Yeah, you knew exactly what I meant.

    > But also from the page: "You cannot - as a web developer - rely
    > only on statistics. Statistics can often be misleading.
    >
    > Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site.
    > Different sites attract different audiences. "
    >
    > No way! Statistics can be misleading? And what the hell is all
    > this about different sites attracts different audiences. No f'in
    > way! Everybody goes to every site on the web in equal
    > proportions...

    C'mon. It's Christmas. Lighten up.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 25, 2004
  12. In article <>, lid
    says...
    > C'mon. It's Christmas. Lighten up.

    I am lit.
    --
    -=*Tn*=-
    Travis Newbury, Dec 25, 2004
  13. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > No way! Statistics can be misleading? And what the hell is all this
    > about different sites attracts different audiences. No f'in way!
    > Everybody goes to every site on the web in equal proportions...

    To quote Samuel clemmens (AKA Mark Twain):
    "There are Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.

    --
    David's Inner Geek
    David's Inner Geek, Dec 27, 2004
  14. WindAndWaves

    kchayka Guest

    David's Inner Geek innergeek<at>gmail <dot> wrote:

    > To quote Samuel clemmens (AKA Mark Twain):
    > "There are Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.

    FYI, this is often attributed to Benjamin Disraeli, but neither he nor
    Twain said it originally:
    <URL:http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/maths/histstat/lies.htm>

    kchayka, Dec 27, 2004