TARGET="_new"

Fred Atkinson

Got a problem. I've got a page with an article in it. In the
page, I have a link to the FAQ page with 'TARGET="_new"' in the A tags
so that the FAQ page pops up in another browser. In the FAQ page, I
have links to different things. I also have the 'TARGET="_new"' in
the A tags to these different things.

When I click on any of these links to the FAQ from the article
page, a new browser pops up with the FAQs in them. When I click on
one of the links in the new browser with the FAQs in them, the page
pops up in the FAQ's browser (without opening another browser).

If, on the other hand, I manually open the FAQ page and click
on one of the links (with the 'TARGET="_new"' in it), a new browser
does indeed pop up with the content of the clicked link in it.

Any suggestions?

Fred

Steve Pugh

Fred Atkinson said:
Got a problem. I've got a page with an article in it. In the
page, I have a link to the FAQ page with 'TARGET="_new"'

_new is an illegal value for target. Only the four defined special
values are allowed to start with an underscore.

Do you mean target="new" (open the link in the window or frame named
'new' creatingit if it doesn't already exist), or do you mean
target="_blank" (open the link in a new unnamed window).
in the A tags
so that the FAQ page pops up in another browser.

Annoying isn't it? We have perfectly good ways to open new windows
ourselves if we want to and we can use those methods on any link we
like. But then some stupid author comes along and forces a new window
on use, thereby taking the choice away.
In the FAQ page, I
have links to different things. I also have the 'TARGET="_new"' in
the A tags to these different things.

More and more annoying.
When I click on any of these links to the FAQ from the article
page, a new browser pops up with the FAQs in them. When I click on
one of the links in the new browser with the FAQs in them, the page
pops up in the FAQ's browser (without opening another browser).

Your browser is probably interpreting target="_new" as target="new"
and so once the window called 'new' has been created it can be reused.
If, on the other hand, I manually open the FAQ page and click
on one of the links (with the 'TARGET="_new"' in it), a new browser
does indeed pop up with the content of the clicked link in it.

Yep, in that case the window called 'new' hadn't been created so the
first link you clicked created it. Leave that window open and click
another link - it should open in the same window as the first link.
Any suggestions?

If you really want every window to open in new window then use
target="_blank". On the other hand you could show a bit of
consideration for your users and let them decide whether to open a new
window or not.

Steve

Karl Core

Fred Atkinson said:
Got a problem.

You sure do

I've got a page with an article in it. In the
page, I have a link to the FAQ page with 'TARGET="_new"' in the A tags
so that the FAQ page pops up in another browser.

Wow. Two bad ideas wrapped into one!
1) opening a new window
2) using an invalid value within the target attribute

Any suggestions?

Stop opening new windows and you'll eliminate both problems

http://karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=25