Target options

Will

I am wondering what options I have to do the following. When someone
clicks on a thumbnail another smaller window opens with the full size
image and other info such as contact info, website link, etc. related to
the image. I have seen this done in javascript but I am looking for
other ways to do it. If I use the _blank option can I add other
information to the window?

Duende

While sitting in a puddle brucie scribbled in the mud:
in post: <

do you really want one?

I'll settle for 131. Could become as many as 1000 by the end of the year.

Will

I agree that popups are not normally the way to go. I will have to put
some thought into the method you have given here. My php is still very
new so I don't really understand how you are doing it. My main concern
about your method is that I don't think I will have space to display the
original thumbnails, the full image and the text to go with the image.
So I think I want a new page but without a popup people may close the
window and as a result leave the site. That is the complaint I have had.

brucie

in post: <
I'll settle for 131. Could become as many as 1000 by the end of the year.

a) how simple should i try to keep it?
b) just images or a bit text with each image?
c) db driven or just stick with markup manipulation?
d) where can i find 131 non pornographic public domain images (unless
you want porno, i have gazillions of them)
e) what theme should the images be or multiple themes? 131+ images of
one theme and also being acceptable for use may be a problem.
f) i may have to upgrade my hosting account to fit the eventual 1000
images, who's going to pay for it?
g) anything else i haven't thought of yet.
h) suggestions?

Mark Parnell

So I think I want a new page but without a popup people may close the
window and as a result leave the site. That is the complaint I have had.

From real users or clueless clients?

As a user, if you try and force a popup on me, 1) it won't work because
my browser blocks them and 2) I'll leave the site.

BTW: Please don't post upside-down

brucie

in post: <
I agree that popups are not normally the way to go. I will have to put
some thought into the method you have given here. My php is still very
new so I don't really understand how you are doing it.

i really need to comment it but i'm a lazy shit. i'll do it one day.
My main concern about your method is that I don't think I will have
space to display the original thumbnails, the full image and the
text to go with the image.

put each image on a page by itself. nav or the back button can take the
visitor back to the thumbs. you could also display the next/previous
thumb on the page so they could nav that way.

also be careful of the image byte size and optimize, just because they
clicked on the thumb to see the larger image doesn't mean they'll
tolerate excessive download times to see it.
So I think I want a new page but without a popup people may close the
window and as a result leave the site.

don't worry about people leaving your site, if they want to leave they
will no matter what you do especially if you try to prevent them. just
keep your nav nice and simple so everyone can understand how it works
without having to think.
That is the complaint I have had.

people are more likely to leave because of popups not because you're not
using them.

please don't toppost, it upsets the little voices

How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

Will

Mark said:
From real users or clueless clients?
Clients, but I can see their point. The way I am doing it needs to be
improved.
As a user, if you try and force a popup on me, 1) it won't work because
my browser blocks them and 2) I'll leave the site.
That is one of my worries and I agree with you. I don't use those sites
either. Will the popup blockers block the TARGER=_blank also? You
guys won't have to work hard to convince me not to do it, I just need a
good alternative solution. The site I am working with is
www.austinhomeandgarden.com. For an example click on Construction &
Remodeling. I want a good way to show the full size ad, info about the
business, link to their website, etc.
BTW: Please don't post upside-down
Sorry, I just read that in another thread too.

brucie

in post: <
Will said:
The site I am working with is www.austinhomeandgarden.com. For an
example click on Construction & Remodeling. I want a good way to
show the full size ad, info about the business, link to their
website, etc.

i would set it up so when you click on the thumb the larger image
displays in its place and any text to go with it.

all that needs downloading is the new html (4k) and image, everything
else should be cached so theres no great delay and the visitor still has
goodies to see/read to keep them interested while the new image
downloads.

because they're still on the same page with just a bigger image theres
no confusion of where they are and closing the wrong window,
accidentally leaving the site.

i would make the larger images a bit smaller and try to get them all the
same basic size.

your almost-perfect image can be optimized to about half the size it is
now without loss of quality. you can also knock off about 15k from jims
image.

i use http://www.ulead.com/ssp/runme.htm

Whitecrest

I'll settle for 131. Could become as many as 1000 by the end of the year.

If you have 1,000 thumbs on a single page (hell if you have 131 on a
single page) then you have bigger issues with your design.

Mark Parnell

Clients, but I can see their point. The way I am doing it needs to be
improved.

Yes, it does. :) As brucie said, though, more people are likely to
leave because you use popups than because you don't.
Will the popup blockers block the TARGER=_blank also?

I would say that most would block that before anything else. But most
will block Javascript popups too.
You guys won't have to work hard to convince me not to do it, I just need a
good alternative solution.

brucie's butterflies is a good solution, but it will depend on the
actual application...
The site I am working with is www.austinhomeandgarden.com. For an example
click on Construction & Remodeling.

Those are links? It took me a while to work that out. I think maybe it
looked too much like the Google ads, so I automatically ignored it.

Hmmm, while I'm here -

A bit of deprecated markup. Use CSS.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Why_use_CSS

Tables (ab)used for layout.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

Once you've done that, add a doctype (preferably Strict) and validate
your HTML. Your CSS has a couple of errors, too.
http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

You're wasting over a third of my available canvas.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

Justified text is hard to read. And looks really bad, e.g. on "Tips and
Links":
Austin Home Builders Association -
etc.

I do like the site, BTW. It has a nice look and feel. :) The top image,
"Austin Home and Garden Directory" seems a bit fuzzy. Not sure whether
it is just my monitor, though.
I want a good way to show the full size ad, info about the business,
link to their website, etc.

I think that brucie's solution would probably work for you. You'd have
to customise the look of it to a degree, of course, but I think you
could do it.

While you're at it, check out http://balls.bruciesusenetshit.info/ for
another take on the same idea. :)
Sorry, I just read that in another thread too.

Just don't do it again, or we might have to kill you.

brucie

in post: <
Is there any advantage in using this over say, Paint Shop Pro?

i don't know, i don't use PSP but of the graphics packages i have used
i've never been happy with their built-in optimization. smartsaver pro
always does a better job. i've always thought its probably because
smartsaver is a dedicated optimizer with perhaps better algorithms, not
just and extra tacked onto the end of a graphics program.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle brucie scribbled in the mud:
a) how simple should i try to keep it?
About as simple as your butterflies would be ok.
b) just images or a bit text with each image?
With a bit if text (got to feed the bots)
c) db driven or just stick with markup manipulation?
Either way for presentation.
db to handle payment & delivery (I have a thingy for that part)
d) where can i find 131 non pornographic public domain images (unless
you want porno, i have gazillions of them)
How big you want them.
e) what theme should the images be or multiple themes? 131+ images of
one theme and also being acceptable for use may be a problem.
For just the 131 images a single theme would be ok but could be split.
Expandable to multiple themes later.
f) i may have to upgrade my hosting account to fit the eventual 1000
images, who's going to pay for it?
I got lots of space.
g) anything else i haven't thought of yet.
If you haven't thought of it yet how could I?
h) suggestions?
Needs to be very SE friendly

That's all.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Whitecrest scribbled in the mud:
If you have 1,000 thumbs on a single page (hell if you have 131 on a
single page) then you have bigger issues with your design.

Never more than 30 thumbs.

brucie

in post: <
Duende said:
About as simple as your butterflies would be ok.

it can be made simpler
With a bit if text (got to feed the bots)

are you going to supply it?
Either way for presentation.

db would probably be best. gives you more options to play with.
db to handle payment & delivery (I have a thingy for that part)

payment and delivery of what? the image? i'll need a right-click-script
so they cant save it without paying first.
How big you want them.

depends on the image but they should all be the same size. multiple
sized images looks ugly and unprofessional. it needs to be kept neat.
For just the 131 images a single theme would be ok but could be split.
Expandable to multiple themes later.

ok so whats the theme?
I got lots of space.
great

If you haven't thought of it yet how could I?

you're older than i am so your brain should be full of more stuff
Needs to be very SE friendly
easy

That's all.

ok

Duende

While sitting in a puddle brucie scribbled in the mud:
in post: <

it can be made simpler
That's better for me. (small brain)
are you going to supply it? Yup

db would probably be best. gives you more options to play with. Ok

payment and delivery of what? the image?
Yup. Images for sale.
i'll need a right-click-script
so they cant save it without paying first.
I just put big red text across them until they pay.
depends on the image but they should all be the same size. multiple
sized images looks ugly and unprofessional. it needs to be kept neat.
No problem there except they don't all have the same height to width
ratio. The thumbs could be all the same.
ok so whats the theme? Biblical

you're older than i am so your brain should be full of more stuff
You mean the squashy mush.