    the image. I have seen this done in javascript but I am looking for
    other ways to do it. If I use the _blank option can I add other
    information to the window?

    Will, Apr 22, 2004

  2. Will

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:q_Whc.16120$>
    Will <> said:

    > When someone clicks on a thumbnail another smaller window opens with
    > the full size image and other info such as contact info, website
    > link, etc. related to the image.

    new windows are not required or desirable.

    example technique:
    http://butterflies.bruciesusenetshit.info/

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 22, 2004

  3. Will

    Duende Guest

    Duende, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Will

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Apr 23, 2004
  5. Will

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle brucie scribbled in the mud:

    > in post: <news:Xns94D3AE5FC7BFEspamxxwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>
    > Duende <> said:
    >
    >>> http://butterflies.bruciesusenetshit.info/

    >> Where is your example using 1000 images?

    > do you really want one?

    I'll settle for 131. Could become as many as 1000 by the end of the year.

    --
    Duende

    Duende, Apr 23, 2004
  6. Will

    Will Guest

    I agree that popups are not normally the way to go. I will have to put
    some thought into the method you have given here. My php is still very
    new so I don't really understand how you are doing it. My main concern
    about your method is that I don't think I will have space to display the
    original thumbnails, the full image and the text to go with the image.
    So I think I want a new page but without a popup people may close the
    window and as a result leave the site. That is the complaint I have had.

    Will, Apr 23, 2004
  7. Will

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:Xns94D3BA662298Bspamxxwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>
    Duende <> said:

    >>> Where is your example using 1000 images?

    >> do you really want one?

    > I'll settle for 131. Could become as many as 1000 by the end of the year.

    a) how simple should i try to keep it?
    b) just images or a bit text with each image?
    c) db driven or just stick with markup manipulation?
    d) where can i find 131 non pornographic public domain images (unless
    you want porno, i have gazillions of them)
    e) what theme should the images be or multiple themes? 131+ images of
    one theme and also being acceptable for use may be a problem.
    f) i may have to upgrade my hosting account to fit the eventual 1000
    images, who's going to pay for it?
    g) anything else i haven't thought of yet.
    h) suggestions?

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 23, 2004
  8. Will

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:25:50 GMT, Will <> declared in
    alt.html:

    > So I think I want a new page but without a popup people may close the
    > window and as a result leave the site. That is the complaint I have had.

    From real users or clueless clients?

    As a user, if you try and force a popup on me, 1) it won't work because
    my browser blocks them and 2) I'll leave the site.

    BTW: Please don't post upside-down

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Apr 23, 2004
  9. Will

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:yg_hc.16329$>
    Will <> said:

    >> example technique:
    >> http://butterflies.bruciesusenetshit.info/

    > I agree that popups are not normally the way to go. I will have to put
    > some thought into the method you have given here. My php is still very
    > new so I don't really understand how you are doing it.

    i really need to comment it but i'm a lazy shit. i'll do it one day.

    > My main concern about your method is that I don't think I will have
    > space to display the original thumbnails, the full image and the
    > text to go with the image.

    put each image on a page by itself. nav or the back button can take the
    visitor back to the thumbs. you could also display the next/previous
    thumb on the page so they could nav that way.

    also be careful of the image byte size and optimize, just because they
    clicked on the thumb to see the larger image doesn't mean they'll
    tolerate excessive download times to see it.

    > So I think I want a new page but without a popup people may close the
    > window and as a result leave the site.

    don't worry about people leaving your site, if they want to leave they
    will no matter what you do especially if you try to prevent them. just
    keep your nav nice and simple so everyone can understand how it works
    without having to think.

    > That is the complaint I have had.

    people are more likely to leave because of popups not because you're not
    using them.

    please don't toppost, it upsets the little voices

    How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 23, 2004
  10. Will

    Will Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:25:50 GMT, Will <> declared in
    > alt.html:
    >

    >>So I think I want a new page but without a popup people may close the
    >>window and as a result leave the site. That is the complaint I have had.

    > From real users or clueless clients?

    Clients, but I can see their point. The way I am doing it needs to be
    improved.

    > As a user, if you try and force a popup on me, 1) it won't work because
    > my browser blocks them and 2) I'll leave the site.

    That is one of my worries and I agree with you. I don't use those sites
    either. Will the popup blockers block the TARGER=_blank also? You
    guys won't have to work hard to convince me not to do it, I just need a
    good alternative solution. The site I am working with is
    www.austinhomeandgarden.com. For an example click on Construction &
    Remodeling. I want a good way to show the full size ad, info about the
    business, link to their website, etc.

    > BTW: Please don't post upside-down

    Sorry, I just read that in another thread too.

    Will, Apr 23, 2004
  11. Will

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:JK_hc.16363$>
    Will <> said:

    > The site I am working with is www.austinhomeandgarden.com. For an
    > example click on Construction & Remodeling. I want a good way to
    > show the full size ad, info about the business, link to their
    > website, etc.

    i would set it up so when you click on the thumb the larger image
    displays in its place and any text to go with it.

    all that needs downloading is the new html (4k) and image, everything
    else should be cached so theres no great delay and the visitor still has
    goodies to see/read to keep them interested while the new image
    downloads.

    because they're still on the same page with just a bigger image theres
    no confusion of where they are and closing the wrong window,
    accidentally leaving the site.

    i would make the larger images a bit smaller and try to get them all the
    same basic size.

    your almost-perfect image can be optimized to about half the size it is
    now without loss of quality. you can also knock off about 15k from jims
    image.

    i use http://www.ulead.com/ssp/runme.htm

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 23, 2004
  12. Will

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <Xns94D3BA662298Bspamxxwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > >> Where is your example using 1000 images?

    > > do you really want one?

    > I'll settle for 131. Could become as many as 1000 by the end of the year.

    If you have 1,000 thumbs on a single page (hell if you have 131 on a
    single page) then you have bigger issues with your design.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Apr 23, 2004
  13. Will

    Nik Coughin Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > i use http://www.ulead.com/ssp/runme.htm

    Is there any advantage in using this over say, Paint Shop Pro? I've been
    doing a lot of jpeg optimisation lately and making a lot of trade offs
    between quality and size.

    Nik Coughin, Apr 23, 2004
  14. Will

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:58:01 GMT, Will <> declared in
    alt.html:

    > Clients, but I can see their point. The way I am doing it needs to be
    > improved.

    Yes, it does. :) As brucie said, though, more people are likely to
    leave because you use popups than because you don't.

    > Will the popup blockers block the TARGER=_blank also?

    I would say that most would block that before anything else. But most
    will block Javascript popups too.

    > You guys won't have to work hard to convince me not to do it, I just need a
    > good alternative solution.

    brucie's butterflies is a good solution, but it will depend on the
    actual application...

    > The site I am working with is www.austinhomeandgarden.com. For an example
    > click on Construction & Remodeling.

    Those are links? It took me a while to work that out. I think maybe it
    looked too much like the Google ads, so I automatically ignored it.

    Hmmm, while I'm here -

    A bit of deprecated markup. Use CSS.
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Why_use_CSS

    Tables (ab)used for layout.
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    Once you've done that, add a doctype (preferably Strict) and validate
    your HTML. Your CSS has a couple of errors, too.
    http://validator.w3.org/
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    You're wasting over a third of my available canvas.
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    Justified text is hard to read. And looks really bad, e.g. on "Tips and
    Links":
    Austin Home Builders Association -
    etc.

    I do like the site, BTW. It has a nice look and feel. :) The top image,
    "Austin Home and Garden Directory" seems a bit fuzzy. Not sure whether
    it is just my monitor, though.

    > I want a good way to show the full size ad, info about the business,
    > link to their website, etc.

    I think that brucie's solution would probably work for you. You'd have
    to customise the look of it to a degree, of course, but I think you
    could do it.

    While you're at it, check out http://balls.bruciesusenetshit.info/ for
    another take on the same idea. :)

    > Sorry, I just read that in another thread too.

    Just don't do it again, or we might have to kill you.

    Mark Parnell, Apr 23, 2004
  15. Will

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:X7%hc.2925$>
    "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> said:

    >> i use http://www.ulead.com/ssp/runme.htm

    > Is there any advantage in using this over say, Paint Shop Pro?

    i don't know, i don't use PSP but of the graphics packages i have used
    i've never been happy with their built-in optimization. smartsaver pro
    always does a better job. i've always thought its probably because
    smartsaver is a dedicated optimizer with perhaps better algorithms, not
    just and extra tacked onto the end of a graphics program.

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 23, 2004
  16. Will

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle brucie scribbled in the mud:

    >> I'll settle for 131. Could become as many as 1000 by the end of the
    >> year.

    > a) how simple should i try to keep it?

    About as simple as your butterflies would be ok.

    > b) just images or a bit text with each image?

    With a bit if text (got to feed the bots)

    > c) db driven or just stick with markup manipulation?

    Either way for presentation.
    db to handle payment & delivery (I have a thingy for that part)

    > d) where can i find 131 non pornographic public domain images (unless
    > you want porno, i have gazillions of them)

    How big you want them.

    > e) what theme should the images be or multiple themes? 131+ images of
    > one theme and also being acceptable for use may be a problem.

    For just the 131 images a single theme would be ok but could be split.
    Expandable to multiple themes later.

    > f) i may have to upgrade my hosting account to fit the eventual 1000
    > images, who's going to pay for it?

    I got lots of space.

    > g) anything else i haven't thought of yet.

    If you haven't thought of it yet how could I?

    > h) suggestions?

    Needs to be very SE friendly

    That's all.

    --
    Duende

    Duende, Apr 23, 2004
  17. Will

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Whitecrest scribbled in the mud:

    > If you have 1,000 thumbs on a single page (hell if you have 131 on a
    > single page) then you have bigger issues with your design.

    Never more than 30 thumbs.

    --
    Duende

    Duende, Apr 23, 2004
  18. Will

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:Xns94D3C87CBBBE1spamxxwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>
    Duende <> said:

    >> a) how simple should i try to keep it?

    > About as simple as your butterflies would be ok.

    it can be made simpler

    >> b) just images or a bit text with each image?

    > With a bit if text (got to feed the bots)

    are you going to supply it?

    >> c) db driven or just stick with markup manipulation?

    > Either way for presentation.

    db would probably be best. gives you more options to play with.

    > db to handle payment & delivery (I have a thingy for that part)

    payment and delivery of what? the image? i'll need a right-click-script
    so they cant save it without paying first.

    >> d) where can i find 131 non pornographic public domain images (unless
    >> you want porno, i have gazillions of them)

    > How big you want them.

    depends on the image but they should all be the same size. multiple
    sized images looks ugly and unprofessional. it needs to be kept neat.

    >> e) what theme should the images be or multiple themes? 131+ images of
    >> one theme and also being acceptable for use may be a problem.

    > For just the 131 images a single theme would be ok but could be split.
    > Expandable to multiple themes later.

    ok so whats the theme?

    >> f) i may have to upgrade my hosting account to fit the eventual 1000
    >> images, who's going to pay for it?

    > I got lots of space.

    great

    >> g) anything else i haven't thought of yet.

    > If you haven't thought of it yet how could I?

    you're older than i am so your brain should be full of more stuff

    >> h) suggestions?

    > Needs to be very SE friendly

    easy

    > That's all.

    ok

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 23, 2004
  19. Will

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:28:03 +1000, brucie <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > g) anything else i haven't thought of yet.

    You forgot to ask how much he's paying. :)

    Mark Parnell, Apr 23, 2004
  20. Will

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle brucie scribbled in the mud:

    > in post: <news:Xns94D3C87CBBBE1spamxxwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>
    > Duende <> said:
    >
    >>> a) how simple should i try to keep it?

    >> About as simple as your butterflies would be ok.

    > it can be made simpler

    That's better for me. (small brain)

    >>> b) just images or a bit text with each image?

    >> With a bit if text (got to feed the bots)

    > are you going to supply it?

    Yup

    >>> c) db driven or just stick with markup manipulation?

    >> Either way for presentation.

    > db would probably be best. gives you more options to play with.

    Ok

    >> db to handle payment & delivery (I have a thingy for that part)

    > payment and delivery of what? the image?

    Yup. Images for sale.

    > i'll need a right-click-script
    > so they cant save it without paying first.

    I just put big red text across them until they pay.

    >>> d) where can i find 131 non pornographic public domain images (unless
    >>> you want porno, i have gazillions of them)

    >> How big you want them.

    > depends on the image but they should all be the same size. multiple
    > sized images looks ugly and unprofessional. it needs to be kept neat.

    No problem there except they don't all have the same height to width
    ratio. The thumbs could be all the same.

    >>> e) what theme should the images be or multiple themes? 131+ images of
    >>> one theme and also being acceptable for use may be a problem.

    >> For just the 131 images a single theme would be ok but could be split.
    >> Expandable to multiple themes later.

    > ok so whats the theme?

    Biblical

    >>> f) i may have to upgrade my hosting account to fit the eventual 1000
    >>> images, who's going to pay for it?

    >> I got lots of space.

    > great
    >
    >>> g) anything else i haven't thought of yet.

    >> If you haven't thought of it yet how could I?

    > you're older than i am so your brain should be full of more stuff

    You mean the squashy mush.

    --
    Duende

    Duende, Apr 23, 2004