targeting a window

John

Hi everybody. I have a page with lots of links that I want to open in one
specific new window.
When you click on a link I want a new window to open and when amother link
is clicked I want this to open in the new window that was created by the
first click. If you see what I mean.
I tried this but it doesn't work. It just keeps opening new windows rather
than filling the one that's already open

<a hef="page number 1.htm" target="specific">click1</a>
<a hef="page number 2.htm" target="specific">click2</a>

When you activate 'click1' the page number 1.htm should open in the target
'specific' but since it doesn't exist the browser creates a new window. Now
when you click on 'click 2' I think that 'page number 2' should open in the
new window that the first click opened. I want this to happen but it
doesn't. It just opens a second new window. Why?????
thanks

DU

John said:
Hi everybody. I have a page with lots of links that I want to open in one
specific new window.
When you click on a link I want a new window to open and when amother link
is clicked I want this to open in the new window that was created by the
first click. If you see what I mean.

Yes I do.
I tried this but it doesn't work. It just keeps opening new windows rather
than filling the one that's already open

<a hef="page number 1.htm" target="specific">click1</a>
<a hef="page number 2.htm" target="specific">click2</a>

When you activate 'click1' the page number 1.htm should open in the target
'specific' but since it doesn't exist the browser creates a new window.

And that is what the browsers should do too.

HTML 4.01 B.8 Notes on frames
"(...) If no such frame was found in (3), create a new window and
assign it the target name."
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/appendix/notes.html#notes-frames

Target semantics in HTML 4.01

"If any target attribute refers to an unknown frame F, the user
agent should create a new window and frame, assign the name F to the
frame, and load the resource designated by the element in the new frame."

Now
when you click on 'click 2' I think that 'page number 2' should open in the
new window that the first click opened. I want this to happen but it
doesn't. It just opens a second new window. Why?????
thanks

Well it does open in the new window that the first click opened, but the
focus is not transfered to the window with the new document. The window
is not brought on top.

I can not reproduce in an HTML page what you describe. Can you give an url?

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs: