tbody

BootNic

Jukka K. Korpela said:
2013-11-26 17:49, BootNic wrote:
Certainly there is an issue of white space in lists, where list items
are styled to be horizontal (as in many menus):
[...]
Modern browsers could use word-spacing.
IE8 +
Word-spacing is supported ever since IE 6.

I made no statement, nor did I intend to imply such a thing.

It would be more accurate to say partial support, yes? That would also
include IE 7-8, yes? All of which is irrelevant.

IE8 + was added out of habit, a habit that I can break in about two weeks,
when IE8 falls into the ancient browser category. The intent was to
indicate that the example could work in IE8 +.
But it's a wrong tool for setting the spacing between the items
of the list.

CSS property word-spacing is the wrong tool?

This is exactly what word-spacing is suppose to do. How in the world could
anyone make such a statement?

Is there issues with word-spacing? Lack of support? Bugs?
Even if your items are "foo" and "bar", some day someone will add
not only the item "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" but also
the item "foo bar zap".

What is the point here?

word-spacing is not applied to any word, it is applied to word-separator
charters.

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#word-separator

--
BootNic Tue Nov 26, 2013 08:22 pm
When I was young, I was put in a school for retarded kids for two years

BootNic

dorayme said:
[snip]
Certainly there is an issue of white space in lists, where list items
are styled to be horizontal (as in many menus):
<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/lists/horizlist1.html>
[snip]
Modern browsers could use word-spacing.
IE8 +
The following set the word-spacing to -1em and uses margin-left on the
li + li to set the space between them.
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#word-spacing
.yankee {
display: block;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
text-align: center;
word-spacing: -1em;
}

Silly me. I know better then to clean up my own snips without reading my
notes.

would you believe a webkit bug

..yankee {
display: table;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
text-align: center;
word-spacing: -1em;
width: 100%;
}

http://bootnic.x10host.com/temp.html

[snip]
Interesting, but it plays up with your word-spacing settings
(independent of text size). In my Safari, for example, the e is cut
off "Homepage", the s off Services etc. Setting it to 0.5em restores
the end list item letters on my Safari at least. My FF seems fine
enough with your setting.

Perhaps a screen shot? No access to ICab, and long time since I tried
browsershots, they no longer have ICab :^(
Naturally, trusting this on a public site might be unwise, but
interesting point!

What to do with all the time spent on listening to complaints then?

--
BootNic Tue Nov 26, 2013 08:52 pm
Wife who put husband in doghouse soon find him in cat house.

Jukka K. Korpela

What is the point here?

word-spacing is not applied to any word,
it is applied to word-separator
charters.

Don't you think there's a word-separator character (or two) in "foo bar
zap"?

dorayme

BootNic said:
dorayme said:
[snip]
[...]

Yes, icab (which is rarely used these days I am sure) also cut off the
end letters of the list items. But problem disappears with your
display: table; change.

A screenshot? OK, the lower browser is iCab, the other is Safari:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/webkitDisplayWhenDotYankeeIsS
etToDisplayColonBlock.png>

BootNic

Jukka K. Korpela said:
2013-11-27 3:22, BootNic wrote:
Don't you think there's a word-separator character (or two) in
"foo bar zap"?

How is the word-separator characters in "foo bar zap" relevant?

Specifically, in the example that was sniped, how would the word-separator
characters within the list items be relevant?

Once again, what is the point here?

--
BootNic Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:05 am
If you can learn from hard knocks, you can also learn from soft touches.

BootNic

dorayme said:
[snip]
Perhaps a screen shot? No access to ICab, and long time since I tried
browsershots, they no longer have ICab :^(
Yes, icab (which is rarely used these days I am sure) also cut off the
end letters of the list items. But problem disappears with your
display: table; change.
A screenshot? OK, the lower browser is iCab, the other is Safari:

Thank you.

The nearest I could come was Safari 5 for windows. Did not display as the
screen shot, it had the 1px space between the list items.

--
BootNic Wed Nov 27, 2013 01:31 pm
"I've noticed that the press tends to be quite accurate, except when

se

Jukka K. Korpela said:
What? (I do understand Swedish. But I do not understand an attribution
without a quotation.)

What is this "it" you are talking about? The Subject line refers to
word-spacing, which is just a wrong approach (to a problem that was not
stated).

Say, have you found any attempt at an excuse for a simulation of
something that loos like an actual case where the use of <!DOCTYPE html>
vs. a legacy doctype would matter the least to JavaScript?
--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

What is "loos like" as seen in one of your answer given on
comp.lang.javascript.
You're a really Thomas Land PointedEar type. And sweep your own
doorsteps before abusing others.
/se