    It seems fairly straightforward but why would I want to use them?

    thanks

    Steve
    Steve, Oct 12, 2004

  2. (Steve) wrote:
    > I have not been working with VHDL too long and am now in a position
    > where I must start using TCL scripts. Can somebody give me a brief
    > outline of what they are and how to start using them?

    Why do you need to use them, without knowing what they are and what
    they are good for?

    > I have seen various explanations in the help menu "TCL COMMANDS" etc.
    > It seems fairly straightforward but why would I want to use them?

    Is it because your prof wants you to use them?

    Tcl is s script language (often Tcl/Tk, Tk is a graphical toolkit for
    Tcl).
    Tcl is IMHO a pain compared to other script languages, but most
    EDA-Tools support the use of Tcl to improve the designflow. Therefor
    you need to know a bit about Tcl to write scripts that do the nasty
    part of the synthesis for you.
    Tcl/Tk allows you to build complex frameworks with integrated
    EDA-Tools if you like to have something fitting exactly your needs.

    bye Thomas
    Thomas Stanka, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Steve

    ALuPin Guest

    Hi Steve,

    you may use them because life can get easier by using TCL.
    You can introduce some automation into your design flow
    for example in adding constraints to your design (pin assignments,
    clock settings etc.).

    I have never used TCL but as I can see they are often used when
    make settings on IP cores.

    Rgds
    André

    ALuPin, Oct 13, 2004