Tcl style traces

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Derek Fountain, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Does Perl have something similar to Tcl style tracing? That is, the ability
    to call a subroutine when a variable is written to or read from?
    Derek Fountain, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Derek Fountain

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Derek Fountain <> wrote:
    > Does Perl have something similar to Tcl style tracing? That is, the ability
    > to call a subroutine when a variable is written to or read from?

    perldoc perltie

    Ben

    --
    "If a book is worth reading when you are six, *
    it is worth reading when you are sixty." - C.S.Lewis
    Ben Morrow, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Derek Fountain () wrote:
    : Does Perl have something similar to Tcl style tracing? That is, the ability
    : to call a subroutine when a variable is written to or read from?

    perldoc perltie

    (Not sure if the case is right)

    Tie your variable to a routine that does anything you want.

    The debugger may also already have a way to do this during a debug session
    (I have no idea if it does, it's just a thought).

    CPAN has various "tie" related modules that might be worth looking at.
    Malcolm Dew-Jones, Jan 28, 2004
  4. >> Does Perl have something similar to Tcl style tracing? That is, the
    >> ability to call a subroutine when a variable is written to or read from?

    > perldoc perltie

    Looks like just the thing, thanks.
    Derek Fountain, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Derek Fountain

    Steve Lidie Guest

    Derek Fountain <> wrote:
    > Does Perl have something similar to Tcl style tracing? That is, the ability
    > to call a subroutine when a variable is written to or read from?

    Tie::Watch on CPAN.
    Steve Lidie, Jan 28, 2004