tcltklib and pthread

Joel VanderWerf

I haven't used Tk/Ruby for a while, and I'm trying to get some code
working again, but ruby's support for tcl/tk, or something else in my
linux installation, seems to have changed recently, and the tcltklib
extension will not build.

(This is with ubuntu/debian sarge, and I installed the run-time and
development packages for tk and tcl 8.4. My ruby is 1.8.2, built with no
configure options.)

It seems that the tcl package is built with pthreads, but ruby is not,
and the tcltklib extension is telling me that this is not ok.

What do people tend to do about this nowadays? Are there any downsides
to disabling pthreads in tcl or to enabling pthreads in ruby? Which is
preferrable?

Thanks in advance.

Joel VanderWerf

Joel said:
I haven't used Tk/Ruby for a while, and I'm trying to get some code
working again, but ruby's support for tcl/tk, or something else in my
linux installation, seems to have changed recently, and the tcltklib
extension will not build.

(This is with ubuntu/debian sarge, and I installed the run-time and
development packages for tk and tcl 8.4. My ruby is 1.8.2, built with no
configure options.)

It seems that the tcl package is built with pthreads, but ruby is not,
and the tcltklib extension is telling me that this is not ok.

What do people tend to do about this nowadays? Are there any downsides
to disabling pthreads in tcl or to enabling pthreads in ruby? Which is
preferrable?

Thanks in advance.

Never mind. I just installed and built tcl and tk with the default
options, under which pthread is disabled, and all works fine. I guess
the difference was in how the debian packages were configured (compared
with the mandrake packages I used to use).