TCP-based chat program

phider1

I wrote a little UDP-based chat program. It's not very user-friendly,
requiring every user to add every other user to a list. Anyway, I
want to adapt it to TCP so you don't have to do that, as well as the
ability to talk to people behind firewalls without reconfiguring them.
The first problem I have is how to have the server application relay
messages to all the clients. The other problem is how to format the
output on the client application so that it can show what other people
are saying as well as having a prompt at the bottom. Currently I have
2 seperate apps, one that listens for incoming messages, and one to
send messages, but I don't think that'd work with TCP.

The UDP app is available for DL here, if anyone is interested.
http://sodasphere.us.to/pub/yipee

Andrew Poelstra

I wrote a little UDP-based chat program. It's not very user-friendly,
requiring every user to add every other user to a list. Anyway, I
want to adapt it to TCP so you don't have to do that, as well as the
ability to talk to people behind firewalls without reconfiguring them.
The first problem I have is how to have the server application relay
messages to all the clients. The other problem is how to format the
output on the client application so that it can show what other people
are saying as well as having a prompt at the bottom. Currently I have
2 seperate apps, one that listens for incoming messages, and one to
send messages, but I don't think that'd work with TCP.

comp.programming would be better for general program design.
For specific platforms or network protocols, there are more
specific groups to try.

comp.lang.c deals with standard C which does not natively
support TCP or UDP.

phider1

comp.programming would be better for general program design.
For specific platforms or network protocols, there are more
specific groups to try.

comp.lang.c deals with standard C which does not natively
support TCP or UDP.

Thanks, I'll go repost there.