Teaching resources

Discussion in 'Java' started by VisionSet, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. VisionSet

    VisionSet Guest

    I'm after some basic scenarios for teaching java.
    Both from an OO perspective and from a structured programming perspective,
    separately for simple scenarios.

    For starters:

    a problem that will be ideally solved by a simple loop, one using a
    conditional and one using both, using just primitives.

    and for OO something that lends itself to writing a simple class with one
    attribute and a getter for that attribute.

    I know this is simple stuff and my imagination should be up to it, but
    actually as I've found it is extraordinarily difficult to come up with good
    examples don't appear overly contrived and don't invite too many distracting
    tangents.

    Naturally I don't need the code but some resource that provides simple
    problems such as these from the 1st steps in java, upto all the structured
    programming capabilities and moderate OO ie introducing poymorphism.

    Resources or your suggestions greatfully received :)

    --
    Mike W
    SCJP, SCJD

    VisionSet, Oct 6, 2004

  2. VisionSet

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "VisionSet" <> wrote in message
    > I'm after some basic scenarios for teaching java.
    > Both from an OO perspective and from a structured programming perspective,
    > separately for simple scenarios.
    >
    > For starters:
    >
    > a problem that will be ideally solved by a simple loop, one using a
    > conditional and one using both, using just primitives.
    >
    > and for OO something that lends itself to writing a simple class with one
    > attribute and a getter for that attribute.
    >
    > I know this is simple stuff and my imagination should be up to it, but
    > actually as I've found it is extraordinarily difficult to come up with

    good
    > examples don't appear overly contrived and don't invite too many

    distracting
    > tangents.
    >
    > Naturally I don't need the code but some resource that provides simple
    > problems such as these from the 1st steps in java, upto all the structured
    > programming capabilities and moderate OO ie introducing poymorphism.
    >
    > Resources or your suggestions greatfully received :)
    >
    > --
    > Mike W
    > SCJP, SCJD
    > Self congratulation for a limited time only!

    An interesting procedural problem I've had (assigned to me) was a multiple
    control-break problem.
    As I recall, the file was called "voterdata" and had fields for precinct,
    county, and state, name, sex, and party.
    The problem was:
    Run a detailed report by precinct, by county, by state, by party by name..
    with totals for each and break totals.
    -
    The OO version has the voter class that knows how to print itself, etc.
    The biggest work for the instructor is creating the vot\erdata file to work
    with.
    HTH

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Oct 6, 2004

  3. VisionSet wrote:
    > I'm after some basic scenarios for teaching java

    I don't think it is a good idea to do both OO and structured programming
    in one course. Just do the better one, OO :)

    For teaching OO with Java: www.bluej.org

    This is a University project, they have a free IDE and they also publish
    a textbook.

    /Thomas

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Oct 7, 2004