Teaching VHDL

Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi Everyone,

I'm a course coordinator for a digital electronics course, and it's my job to write (rewrite) the labs. The aim is to teach VHDL to program some Xilinx Spartan 3 development boards. I've written plenty of VHDL myself, but I've never taken a formal course to learn it. I was wondering if anyone had ideas for how I can present some concepts.

First of all, I know that synchronous flip-flops are better than asynchronous latches, but how do I explain this to the students?

Also, they have seen synchronous code using "if clock = '1' and clock'event then" as a useful way to make things happen on the clock edge. Now they want to use the same code to detect edges of any arbitrary signal, eg, in an SPI interface. It seems wrong to me, and can anybody help me explain to them why?

Thanks,

Adrian.