    I was looking at some study material and they had images of browser windows
    with the "file" tab depressed showing you what exactly to do.
    I hope this question makes some sort of sense and thank you

    Mike, Nov 25, 2005

  2. On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:59:03 +0100, Mike <> wrote:

    > I was wondering how people come up with the technical images. For
    > example, I was looking at some study material and they had images of
    > browser windows with the "file" tab depressed showing you what exactly
    > to do.
    > I hope this question makes some sort of sense and thank you

    If you're asking how to do that? Just get a small app that can capture a
    screen[1] using a hotkey. Because of that hotkey, you can have any menu
    open, any dialog, any sort of window, and then capture the lot. If the
    mouse pointer is gone, add it later with some image editor.

    [1] I use ScreenHunter for this (on Windows).

    Barbara de Zoete, Nov 25, 2005

  3. __/ [Barbara de Zoete] on Friday 25 November 2005 09:05 \__

    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:59:03 +0100, Mike <> wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering how people come up with the technical images. For
    >> example, I was looking at some study material and they had images of
    >> browser windows with the "file" tab depressed showing you what exactly
    >> to do.
    >> I hope this question makes some sort of sense and thank you

    > If you're asking how to do that? Just get a small app that can capture a
    > screen[1] using a hotkey. Because of that hotkey, you can have any menu
    > open, any dialog, any sort of window, and then capture the lot. If the
    > mouse pointer is gone, add it later with some image editor.
    >
    > [1] I use ScreenHunter for this (on Windows).

    The Macs have a special key combination for this. I think it was the
    CTRL-adjacent-symbol+F3 in OS 9 or earlier. I haven't tried this in Mac OS
    X.

    Under Windows, you need typically press Print Screen, then paste the outcome
    from the clipboard onto a graphical manipulation application like paint.exe.

    In Linux, either use import (man import for more details). If you use KDE,
    use ksnapshop.

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

    Roy Schestowitz, Nov 25, 2005
  4. Mike

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Mike" <>

    > I was wondering how people come up with the technical images. For example,
    > I was looking at some study material and they had images of browser windows
    > with the "file" tab depressed showing you what exactly to do.
    > I hope this question makes some sort of sense and thank you

    On a Mac, I have done this by going into the resources via a
    venerable Mac program called ResEdit to get a PICT (image) file
    of open menus. To display it in a context one simply gets a
    screen shot (command+3 or, for more precise framing, command+4)
    and imposes the open menu on the screen shot. It is quite easy
    to do. Perhaps there is a simpler way. But this method is
    particularly satisfying.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 25, 2005
  5. Mike

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    >
    > The Macs have a special key combination for this. I think it was the
    > CTRL-adjacent-symbol+F3 in OS 9 or earlier. I haven't tried this in Mac OS
    > X.

    Interesting... what do you mean by adjacent and symbol here? I will try it.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 25, 2005
  6. Mike

    kchayka Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Under Windows, you need typically press Print Screen

    Press Alt+Print Screen to get just the active window, rather than the
    whole desktop.

    kchayka, Nov 25, 2005
  7. In article <BFADDAA5.1A8CC%>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > > From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    > >
    > > The Macs have a special key combination for this. I think it was the
    > > CTRL-adjacent-symbol+F3 in OS 9 or earlier. I haven't tried this in Mac OS
    > > X.

    > Interesting... what do you mean by adjacent and symbol here? I will try it.

    I think he means *Command* which is foreign to any keyboard but Apple.
    Apple even has a hard time describing it. It's 'Command-Shift-3' and has
    been since at least OS8. 'Command-Shift-4' gives other options, at least
    in OSX.

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thank you for the help.... it worked wonderfully

    Mike, Nov 26, 2005
  9. Mike

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Leonard Blaisdell <>

    > In article <BFADDAA5.1A8CC%>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >>> From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    >>>
    >>> The Macs have a special key combination for this. I think it was the
    >>> CTRL-adjacent-symbol+F3 in OS 9 or earlier. I haven't tried this in Mac OS
    >>> X.

    >> Interesting... what do you mean by adjacent and symbol here? I will try it.

    > I think he means *Command* which is foreign to any keyboard but Apple.
    > Apple even has a hard time describing it. It's 'Command-Shift-3' and has
    > been since at least OS8. 'Command-Shift-4' gives other options, at least
    > in OSX.

    Ah, yes, Leo, ok.

    I was thinking it might be something else I did not
    know. I never use 3, always 4 (who ever wants the whole desktop
    in reality?) and there are not many Mac people who know this 4
    in my experience. No, it is just a carry over from before X,
    been using it for years on 9 and it is extremely useful...

    Now that this is more to my attention, it /is/ actually possible
    to use it to grab views with menus displayed. You do this: go to
    file or whatever and click once (on and off) and leave it
    displayed. Then command + shift + 4 and then use the rectangle
    crop tool to outline the area you want to "photograph". (You
    drag the cross-hair and make the rect and let go of the mouse
    button, nice Mac sound of photo being taken and it is there as
    the latest pict file on the main HD at top level. The menu is
    displayed if you include it in the crop. It does /not/ work with
    3, only with 4 for some curious reason! All this is from OS 9.1
    At least this is how it is on my machine.

    I must have done the combining from resEdit (resources. see my
    first post on this) when I had thought it not possible to do the
    above. I have done the above too but lately clean forgot about
    it!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 27, 2005
  10. __/ [kchayka] on Friday 25 November 2005 22:40 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Under Windows, you need typically press Print Screen

    > Press Alt+Print Screen to get just the active window, rather than the
    > whole desktop.

    I never knew that. I suppose it wasn't yet available in older versions of
    Windows. The last time I tried it, that was with Windows 98. It's always
    interesting to see how Windows is catching up in terms of functionality.
    Vista will finally introduce the notion of a virtual desktop.

    Roy

    Roy Schestowitz, Nov 28, 2005
  11. Mike

    Spartanicus Guest

    Roy Schestowitz <> wrote:

    >>> Under Windows, you need typically press Print Screen

    >> Press Alt+Print Screen to get just the active window, rather than the
    >> whole desktop.

    >I never knew that. I suppose it wasn't yet available in older versions of
    >Windows. The last time I tried it, that was with Windows 98.

    Also works under W98 (same for W95 IIRC).

    > It's always
    >interesting to see how Windows is catching up in terms of functionality.
    >Vista will finally introduce the notion of a virtual desktop.

    Pfffttt, virtual desktops are also an option with W98, either by using
    one of the many utilities, or by chucking out the MS explorer GUI and
    replace it with something else (I use Litestep).

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Nov 28, 2005
  12. In article
    <>,
    Spartanicus <> wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz <> wrote:

    > > It's always
    > >interesting to see how Windows is catching up in terms of functionality.
    > >Vista will finally introduce the notion of a virtual desktop.

    > Pfffttt, virtual desktops are also an option with W98, either by using
    > one of the many utilities, or by chucking out the MS explorer GUI and
    > replace it with something else (I use Litestep).

    I believe that the original virtual desktop was invented by Tom
    LaStrange and certainly used in twm in the early 90s. That was X11 on
    UNIX. Microsoft has tried to patent it, of course.
    For anyone interested, keywords are 'Tom LaStrange', swm, twm, and
    'virtual desktop'.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>