Tech Images???

Mike

I was wondering how people come up with the technical images. For example,
I was looking at some study material and they had images of browser windows
with the "file" tab depressed showing you what exactly to do.
I hope this question makes some sort of sense and thank you

Barbara de Zoete

I was wondering how people come up with the technical images. For
example, I was looking at some study material and they had images of
browser windows with the "file" tab depressed showing you what exactly
to do.
I hope this question makes some sort of sense and thank you

If you're asking how to do that? Just get a small app that can capture a
screen[1] using a hotkey. Because of that hotkey, you can have any menu
open, any dialog, any sort of window, and then capture the lot. If the
mouse pointer is gone, add it later with some image editor.

[1] I use ScreenHunter for this (on Windows).

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Barbara de Zoete] on Friday 25 November 2005 09:05 \__
I was wondering how people come up with the technical images. For
example, I was looking at some study material and they had images of
browser windows with the "file" tab depressed showing you what exactly
to do.
I hope this question makes some sort of sense and thank you

If you're asking how to do that? Just get a small app that can capture a
screen[1] using a hotkey. Because of that hotkey, you can have any menu
open, any dialog, any sort of window, and then capture the lot. If the
mouse pointer is gone, add it later with some image editor.

[1] I use ScreenHunter for this (on Windows).

The Macs have a special key combination for this. I think it was the
CTRL-adjacent-symbol+F3 in OS 9 or earlier. I haven't tried this in Mac OS
X.

Under Windows, you need typically press Print Screen, then paste the outcome
from the clipboard onto a graphical manipulation application like paint.exe.

In Linux, either use import (man import for more details). If you use KDE,
use ksnapshop.

Hope it helps,

Roy

dorayme

From: "Mike said:
I was wondering how people come up with the technical images. For example,
I was looking at some study material and they had images of browser windows
with the "file" tab depressed showing you what exactly to do.
I hope this question makes some sort of sense and thank you
On a Mac, I have done this by going into the resources via a
venerable Mac program called ResEdit to get a PICT (image) file
of open menus. To display it in a context one simply gets a
screen shot (command+3 or, for more precise framing, command+4)
and imposes the open menu on the screen shot. It is quite easy
to do. Perhaps there is a simpler way. But this method is
particularly satisfying.

dorayme

From: Roy Schestowitz said:
The Macs have a special key combination for this. I think it was the
CTRL-adjacent-symbol+F3 in OS 9 or earlier. I haven't tried this in Mac OS
X.

Interesting... what do you mean by adjacent and symbol here? I will try it.

Leonard Blaisdell

From: Roy Schestowitz <[email protected]>

The Macs have a special key combination for this. I think it was the
CTRL-adjacent-symbol+F3 in OS 9 or earlier. I haven't tried this in Mac OS
X.

Interesting... what do you mean by adjacent and symbol here? I will try it.[/QUOTE]

I think he means *Command* which is foreign to any keyboard but Apple.
Apple even has a hard time describing it. It's 'Command-Shift-3' and has
been since at least OS8. 'Command-Shift-4' gives other options, at least
in OSX.

dorayme

From: Leonard Blaisdell said:
Interesting... what do you mean by adjacent and symbol here? I will try it.

I think he means *Command* which is foreign to any keyboard but Apple.
Apple even has a hard time describing it. It's 'Command-Shift-3' and has
been since at least OS8. 'Command-Shift-4' gives other options, at least
in OSX.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes, Leo, ok.

I was thinking it might be something else I did not
know. I never use 3, always 4 (who ever wants the whole desktop
in reality?) and there are not many Mac people who know this 4
in my experience. No, it is just a carry over from before X,
been using it for years on 9 and it is extremely useful...

Now that this is more to my attention, it /is/ actually possible
to use it to grab views with menus displayed. You do this: go to
file or whatever and click once (on and off) and leave it
displayed. Then command + shift + 4 and then use the rectangle
crop tool to outline the area you want to "photograph". (You
drag the cross-hair and make the rect and let go of the mouse
button, nice Mac sound of photo being taken and it is there as
the latest pict file on the main HD at top level. The menu is
displayed if you include it in the crop. It does /not/ work with
3, only with 4 for some curious reason! All this is from OS 9.1
At least this is how it is on my machine.

I must have done the combining from resEdit (resources. see my
first post on this) when I had thought it not possible to do the
above. I have done the above too but lately clean forgot about
it!

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [kchayka] on Friday 25 November 2005 22:40 \__
Press Alt+Print Screen to get just the active window, rather than the
whole desktop.

I never knew that. I suppose it wasn't yet available in older versions of
Windows. The last time I tried it, that was with Windows 98. It's always
interesting to see how Windows is catching up in terms of functionality.
Vista will finally introduce the notion of a virtual desktop.

Roy

Spartanicus

Roy Schestowitz said:
I never knew that. I suppose it wasn't yet available in older versions of
Windows. The last time I tried it, that was with Windows 98.

Also works under W98 (same for W95 IIRC).
It's always
interesting to see how Windows is catching up in terms of functionality.
Vista will finally introduce the notion of a virtual desktop.

Pfffttt, virtual desktops are also an option with W98, either by using
one of the many utilities, or by chucking out the MS explorer GUI and
replace it with something else (I use Litestep).

Leonard Blaisdell

Spartanicus said:
Pfffttt, virtual desktops are also an option with W98, either by using
one of the many utilities, or by chucking out the MS explorer GUI and
replace it with something else (I use Litestep).

I believe that the original virtual desktop was invented by Tom
LaStrange and certainly used in twm in the early 90s. That was X11 on
UNIX. Microsoft has tried to patent it, of course.
For anyone interested, keywords are 'Tom LaStrange', swm, twm, and
'virtual desktop'.

leo