Teenage Web Designers Needed For Big Project

Trundle

Hi everybody,
I'm a teenage web page designer, I've been making websites for some
time now, but I am bored with making personal pages for my friends and
all that boring stuff. So i've decided to start a BIG
project...althought I am very thin on ideas at the moment...I would
like to do something that is MMO.. something similar to neopets but a
bit more mature and perhaps set in the future.

Any ideas you can bring to the party would be great lol...

If you are interested and are up for the challenge then please get in
contact with me!!!
jamestrendell(a)gmail.com
Thanks for your time,
Trundle

Jan Roland Eriksson

I'm a teenage web page designer...
...i've decided to start a BIG project...althought I am very thin
on ideas at the moment...
Any ideas you can bring to the party would be great lol...

You could try to suggest a full out presentation, visual, aural, Braille
and non styled, of the standard "Waffle House" menu, on the web.

Your tools should be HTML4.01 strict and CSS2.1

Java script forbidden and the net result being in a fully liquid design
suggestion.

It should "work" on any type of www browser, any PDA and on cell phones,
so that any one could order food using your site.

Would that be "BIG" enough? :)

If you could pull it off, you might end up with a management job at
Waffle House.

jamestrendell

Yes I had been planning on creating the site using strict HTML and
CSS...however y do u say no java? Is there really a way to put braille
on a computer screen??? Please get in touch if you are interested in
helping out!

Barbara de Zoete

[f'up set to alt.html]

If you continu to communicate in usenet, please follow nettiquettes. An abstact:
- you do cross-post (which is a good thing), but please try to set a f'up to the
most appropriate newsgroup (there is no reason to continue posting all over the
place once you got everybody's attention);
- quote what you reply to, attribute the quote and then reply below the quoted
bit;
- snip all that is not relevant for your reply and thus keep post size manageable
Yes I had been planning on creating the site using strict HTML and
CSS...however y do u say no java?

the 'you' being Jan Roland Eriksson, said:
JavaScript being something entirely different than Java. He's just setting up a
true challenge, like you seemed to want.
Is there really a way to put braille
on a computer screen???

There are many ways a page gets rendered to your visitor and you can accommodate
all of them (or at least almost all). One of the ways a page can be communicated
to a visitor is through a braille browser (which is a machine that puts out
braille rules, so a blind person can read those). There is little use for
braille on a screen, is there.

It is just an example of what is possible out there. There are text browsers,
braille browsers, aural browsers, phones, PDA's, wide screen computers,
projectors.
Please get in touch if you are interested in
helping out!

If you communicate through usenet, the communication goes through usenet and not
through your mailbox. Asked here, answered here. That way all that read along or
come after you can profit from the discussion.

jamestrendell

Hey thanks guys for all your time...but I didnt come here to discuss
what language the site should be programmed in, I am looking for
volunteers to help me out with the website. If you aren't interested
then please don't post.

Barbara de Zoete

[Please comply to usenet standards as just explained to you or get ignored by
the serious people out here quite rapidly]
Hey thanks guys for all your time...but I didnt come here to discuss

Well, you're at the wrong place then. Discussion is what usenet is all about.
what language the site should be programmed in, I am looking for
volunteers to help me out with the website.

Go to a market site or place an ad somewhere. This can easily be considered spam
in discussion groups on usenet.
If you aren't interested
then please don't post.

You do not get to tell me or anyone else when to post, what, where and how.

Jan Roland Eriksson

Yes I had been planning on creating the site using strict HTML and
CSS...

That would be the best starting point you have avialble.
...however y do u say no java?

Let me qualify; I mean that...

"though shalt not use any kind of scripting that
executes on the clients side, and which is designed
so that it is required to execute in order to make
a www page usable as intended."

....you can use client side scripting for pure "eye candy" and possibly
for a preliminary check that e.g. a form has been properly filled out.

That last case does not take away your obligation to repeat that form
check in your own form processor on your server.

But over and all; all your pages should still be fully usable even if
the users browser does not have an enabled client side script
interpreting function available.

Also remember that search engines do not execute client side scripts so
if you don't want to prohibit a possible good rating, stay away from
client side scripting for critical functions on your pages, especially
the real pest on the web sometimes called "java script links".

Also; a lot of "naive" web authors tend to include the MS style of
Jscript linking on their pages. Rest assured that such "links" more
often than not do not work at all in e.g. the Mozilla spawn of browsers.
Is there really a way to put braille on a computer screen???

Not on a traditional visual VDU screen no, but there are at least some
types of electro mechanical Braille output devices available.
You could be "futuristic" and apply parts of your CSS to suggest a
presentation for a Braille output media type.
Please get in touch if you are interested in helping out!

Hmm... you do your own foot work :)
But if you end up with markup problems ciwah might be a good place for
discussions as well as ciwas for style sheet discussions.

Lachlan Hunt

Jan said:
Java script forbidden and the net result being in a fully liquid design
suggestion.

Why is JavaScript forbidden? There is nothing inherently wrong with
JavaScript, it's just that it is all too often done very poorly and
depended upon for many sites to work. However, when done properly as an
enhancement to a well structured accessible document, it can actually
enhance the usability of a site.

Christian Heilmann has written a good article about how to write
unobtrusive javascript [1]; illustrating how script can be used to
enhance a document when available, without affecting accessibility in
its absense.

There are also plenty of real world examples of where JavaScript has
been used properly to this effect, such as Eric Meyer's S5 [2] to
control slide show navigation, Dean Edward's IE7 [3] to make up for IE
bugs, and even ALA's Let Them Eat Cake article [4] for making an
accessible tabbed interface.

[1] http://www.onlinetools.org/articles/unobtrusivejavascript/
[2] http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/
[3] http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/
[4] http://alistapart.com/articles/eatcake/

Jan Roland Eriksson

Yes I had been planning...

In addition to what "Barbara the Sweet" commented...
...however y do u say no java?...

....get off that Chat line if it makes your language degenerate.

Since I think that several people out there may have a problem to
understand what you wrote, let me for their sake provide a translation
to english.

"however why do you say no java?"

Big Bill

[...]

You forgot webTV. Mind you, so did the rest of the planet.

BB

jamestrendell

How anybody find what i wrote hard to understand...its spelt out
phonetically! Besides most teenagers would be able to understand
that...and that is what this particular post was aimed out...trying to
get some teenage volunteers to help on my websites...i appreciate your
help but if you're going to be rude there's no point me being here.

Barbara de Zoete

For crying out loud: why wont you adapt to the conventions of these groups?
What's so hard to understand? Are you not just young but stupid too or something?

How anybody find what i wrote hard to understand...its spelt out
phonetically!
Besides most teenagers would be able to understand
that...

Well, there you go. This is usenet, not particularly aimed at teenagers. You
have to take into account that very old people, like thirty or so, try to have
some decent discussions in these groups.
Secondly, usenet is an international realm. For someone who is not native
speeking any english, it will be hard to understand that chat shorthand. It
doesn't come natural. The 'u' sound very different in english, french, german
(and other languages). Minds think their own language. If I see a 'u', in my
mind I hear a sound that you couldn't even pronounce.
and that is what this particular post was aimed out... trying to
get some teenage volunteers to help on my websites...

Maybe you might try and understand that this is not the right medium and not the
right way. Read back in these groups and try to learn from what you read what
environment you've entered.

Why don't you post some URL's of what you've been doing so far (of those site
you did for friends for example)? Or of what you're trying to do now, of with
what you started your project? Surely you cannot expect anyone to hand you both
subject and technical help for your project? You got to have some ideas already?
Being vague, keeping things this abstact, doesn't help you getting help from any
of us.
i appreciate your
help but if you're going to be rude

Rude? Who, where? I don't see anyone being rude. Remember it is considered very
rude to keep ignoring and keep from adapting to generally accepted and
appreciated conventions. Much the way you are behaving yourself.
If you enter a bar you've never been in before, you don't walk up to other
clientelle and shout out: get me a beer, now! do you? Chance is, the people in
there will throw you out instantly, slam the door and say 'good riddens'.
there's no point me being here.

Okay, byebye, please close the door on your way out.

Barbara de Zoete

You forgot webTV. Mind you, so did the rest of the planet.

I've never seen that up and running. I don't know if this is active in the
Netherlands or not? I wouldn't know where it is distributed?

btw: Your sig-seperator is broken, do you know that?

Leif K-Brooks

How anybody find what i wrote hard to understand...its spelt out
phonetically! Besides most teenagers would be able to understand
that...and that is what this particular post was aimed out...trying to
get some teenage volunteers to help on my websites...i appreciate your
help but if you're going to be rude there's no point me being here.

I'm fourteen years old and yes, I can read your posts. I can also read
Perl, C, and PHP -- but as with your posts, I would greatly prefer not
to. Why should the people who are trying to help you be required to
understand a low-grammar pseudo-language so that you can save a couple
of milliseconds while typing?

I've worked on the kind of project you're planning before, and I was
just about to write a post of helpful advice for you. Then I saw just
how rude you've been to some of the regulars here and decided that
you're not worth my time, and now I have only one tip left for you: if
people are trying to help you out, be nice to them!

jamestrendell

Bugger this....theres no point me asking a question looking for help
from TEENAGERS and then get adults complaining to me about my typing
habits...im sorry i cant type like u do grampa...it was just force of
habit. Then when someone my age does come along boasting about all the
languages he can read, and how he'd rather not...even though he spent
all the time to learn them in the first place...and even he decides not
to help me because of the way i type...

I came to the newsgroup looking for help and support and recieved
neither except rude patronising advice on how i should pharse and style
my question....

Barbara de Zoete

I came to the newsgroup looking for help and support and recieved
neither

Are you nuts? You got help. It is just not in a form and way you expected. But
you got help.
except rude patronising advice on how i should pharse and style
my question....

You're the one that is rude, my young friend. Age or not, you're out.

*plonk*

Jan Roland Eriksson

How anybody find what i wrote hard to understand...its spelt out
phonetically!

Understandable? to you maybe, just because your native language is
English. Mine is not, I'm in Sweden relatively close to the north polar
circle in Europe; Barbara is located in Holland, another country in the
European Union.

None of us two was born with English in our brains, we both had to go to
school to learn _your_ language.

When do you start your classes in the Swedish and Dutch languages?
Besides most teenagers would be able to understand that...

Correction; natively English speaking teenagers...
and that is what this particular post was aimed out...trying to
get some teenage volunteers to help on my websites...

You posted to newsgroups in the so called "Big-8" hierarchy on Usenet
news, believe me when I tell you that such a newsgroup spans most parts
of the world as we know it, it is _not_ an American forum only.

If you are looking for teenagers only, you came to the wrong place.

If you on the other hand was looking for sound advice on how to build a
good web site you did come to the right place, only you are displaying a
bad attitude towards both the info that I and others have given you as
well as the time we spent on writing it for you, at no cost on your
part.
...i appreciate your help but if you're going to be rude...

In fact it's you who are rude but you probably don't yet understand why
that is so.

Your posting style is not fit for a "Big-8" newsgroup in general; in
case you are interested to learn some realities on how Usenet news is
supposed to work, you may want to start here...

<http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/>

al jones

I'm fourteen years old and yes, I can read your posts. I can also read
Perl, C, and PHP -- but as with your posts, I would greatly prefer not
to. Why should the people who are trying to help you be required to
understand a low-grammar pseudo-language so that you can save a couple
of milliseconds while typing?

I've worked on the kind of project you're planning before, and I was
just about to write a post of helpful advice for you. Then I saw just
how rude you've been to some of the regulars here and decided that
you're not worth my time, and now I have only one tip left for you: if
people are trying to help you out, be nice to them!

Nicely done Lief! As I only read one of the plethora of groups he
crossposted in, I've apparently missed [not] some of what went before.

Brian

[x-posting trimmed]

i appreciate your help but if you're going to be rude there's no
point me being here.

Rude is ignoring usenet posting conventions -- even after they've been
pointed out. Get with the program or get in the killfiles. Your choice.