TEI XSL:FO/HTML

Discussion in 'XML' started by JLP, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. JLP

    JLP Guest

    Hello,

    I have a couple of hundred books in TEI based XML. I want to output
    html and pdf documents. I started building my own style sheets to do
    this and I ran into a problem with footnotes. Many of my documents
    have longer footnotes so I did the following:

    Now I have the xsl:

    <xsl:template name="div">
    <xsl:for-each select="./div">
    <h1>
    <xsl:value-of select="head"/>
    </h1>
    <xsl:for-each select="p">
    <xsl:value-of select="."/>
    </xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:template>

    and I get the text inside the note. How can I process this properly?

    I think I'd like to leave the footnotes in my source alone, unless
    there is a truly better way to do this.

    Thanks in advance!

    Jeremy

    JLP, Apr 19, 2005

  2. (JLP) writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a couple of hundred books in TEI based XML. I want to output
    > html and pdf documents. I started building my own style sheets to do
    > this

    You know there is already a fairly extensive set of TEI stylesheets for
    HTML and for FO?

    http://www.tei-c.org/Stylesheets/teixsl.html

    However there's no reason not to build your own as well, so:

    > and I ran into a problem with footnotes. Many of my documents
    > have longer footnotes so I did the following:

    > Now I have the xsl:
    >
    > <xsl:template name="div">
    > <xsl:for-each select="./div">

    This line is rather odd, it means that for each div you
    ignore all its text and element children exept immediately nested divs,.
    so given

    when the template matches on the outer div you ignore the zz paragraph
    and just process the inner div.

    > <h1>
    > <xsl:value-of select="head"/>

    Using value-of here rather than apply-templates means that you get the
    the string value of the head but means that you will not process any
    nested markup within the head.

    > </h1>

    > <xsl:for-each select="p">
    > <xsl:value-of select="."/>
    > </xsl:for-each>

    again I don't think you want for-each and value-of in the above.
    > </xsl:for-each>
    > </xsl:template>
    >
    > and I get the text inside the note. How can I process this properly?
    >
    > I think I'd like to leave the footnotes in my source alone, unless
    > there is a truly better way to do this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Jeremy

    Something like the following should make a html div out of a TEI div,
    with an html heading, and all children processed, note elements just
    make a superscripted number, and at the end of the div, if there were
    any notes it makes a list of the numbers and note texts (untested)

    <xsl:template match="div">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="head"/>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="node()[not(self::head)]"/>
    <xsl:if test=".//note">
    <hr/>
    <dl>
    <xsl:for-each select=".//note">
    <dt><xsl:number level="any"/></dt>
    <dd><xsl:apply-templates/></dd>
    </xsl:for-each>
    </dl>
    </xsl:if>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="head">
    <h2><xsl:apply-templates/></h2>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="p">
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="note">
    <sup><xsl:number level="any"/></sup>
    </xsl:template>

    David Carlisle, Apr 19, 2005

  3. JLP

    JLP Guest

    David,

    Thank you for your response!

    I did have some success with this XSL. It seems to be doing much
    better now. I'm still a bit stuck on exactly what:

    <xsl:apply-templates select="node()[not(self::head)]"/>

    does.

    node() is that some form of boolean function? I was not able to find
    it in the XSLT functions reference or the XPath functions. Is this
    selecting all elements except "node()[not(self::head)]"?

    The results of what you posted are pretty good except that I get two
    sets of footnotes. I suspect that line above, hence the questions.

    As you probably have guessed, I'm new to XSL. Your help is greatly
    appreciated!

    As for writing my own XSL/XSL:FO for TEI, the style sheets that are
    available for HTML are decent, I just wanted to learn XSL/XSL:FO. What
    I really want is XSL:FO, but I thought XSL would be a good starting
    point. The TEI XSL:FO style sheets use PassiveTeX. I've never quite
    understood how they are supposed to work physically. Logically it
    seems you have to have some software installed (jadeTeX?) to process
    them appropriately. I never found a good how to on configuration. At
    any rate, I will probably want to customize it for my own needs
    anyway. I think it is better for me to write my own.

    So far this seems to be a component driven process. I mean I can write
    a snippet of XSL for div elements and then use it in other places
    which is nice. Are there any good references on design strategies for
    this kind of thing? Not just what the XSL elements are, but how to put
    them together and how to do things efficiently?

    Thanks again to everyone!

    Jeremy

    JLP, Apr 20, 2005
  4. <xsl:apply-templates select="node()[not(self::head)]"/>

    does.

    node() is that some form of boolean function?

    Not really it's a node test (along with with text() comment() and
    processing-instruction()) it selects any node (* in that position
    would just match element nodes. In particular if you do
    <xsl:apply-templates select="node()"/>
    or equivalently
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
    templates get applied to child text as well as child element nodes.

    Obviously text nodes are never head elements so the
    node()[not(self::head)]
    is the same as
    text()|*[not(self::head)]
    (well actually it's the same as

    comment()|processing-instruction()|text()|*[not(self::head)]

    I was not able to find
    it in the XSLT functions reference or the XPath functions. Is this
    selecting all elements except "node()[not(self::head)]"?

    It's in xpath.

    As for writing my own XSL/XSL:FO for TEI, the style sheets that are
    available for HTML are decent, I just wanted to learn XSL/XSL:FO. What
    I really want is XSL:FO, but I thought XSL would be a good starting
    point.

    Yes that's a good idea and you'll learn more rolling your own, although
    in the end you may find that to handle complicated tei books customising
    sebastian's efforts might be quicker if you just want to get the job
    done rather than rolling your own. For TEI (and the conceptually
    similar docbook stylesheets) a lot of years fine tuning edge cases have
    gone in to the stylesheets, so for any given document it's often simpler
    to write your own focussed stylesheet, but to produce something that
    can handle a large range of documents within the specific dtd, using a
    "standard" stylesheet has advantages.

    The TEI XSL:FO style sheets use PassiveTeX.

    Not really, The fO files they generate can be used by any FO renderer
    (FOP, renderx, ....). Passivetex was generated at the same time by the
    same person (except for the low level xml parsing part which he
    tricked someone else in to writing) but the stylesheets produce standard
    FO (in general, they may use a few extension elements for specific jobs,
    I haven't looked recently)

    Logically it
    seems you have to have some software installed (jadeTeX?) to process
    them appropriately.

    You need tex, jadetex is something else, similar to passivetex but
    working with dsssl rather than xsl dsssl being the older style language
    for sgml rather than xml documents (Sebastian and I have been in this
    game too long:) If you are not already a tex user (why not:) to be
    honest I wouldn't start with passivetex I'd start with fop if you are
    looking for a free FO engine as that is by far the most commonly used
    free one so you'll get more "community" support using that.

    So far this seems to be a component driven process. I mean I can write
    a snippet of XSL for div elements and then use it in other places
    which is nice. Are there any good references on design strategies for
    this kind of thing? Not just what the XSL elements are, but how to put
    them together and how to do things efficiently?

    xsl-list has a good faq site, jeni's site is also good

    http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/xslfaq.html
    http://www.jenitennison.com/

    > The results of what you posted are pretty good except that I get two
    > sets of footnotes. I suspect that line above, hence the questions.

    Do you have nested div elements?

    At the end of every div I went
    <xsl:for-each select=".//note">

    which processes all notes however deeply nested so if you go

    xxx<note>a</note>
    yyy<note>b</note>

    You'll get something like

    xxx^1

    yyy^b
    1 b

    1 a
    1 b

    as I just use the default attributes on xsl:number (which numbers notes
    (just) with its siblings and processes notes on every div.

    Both of these things are easy to fix but it depends quite what you want
    eg one way is to add attributes to xsl:number so notes are numbered
    across the whole document and move

    > <xsl:if test=".//note">
    > <hr/>
    > <dl>
    > <xsl:for-each select=".//note">
    > <dt><xsl:number level="any"/></dt>
    > <dd><xsl:apply-templates/></dd>
    > </xsl:for-each>
    > </dl>
    > </xsl:if>

    to the end of the template that matches your book rather than having it
    on every div.

    David

    David Carlisle, Apr 20, 2005
  5. OK, if the TEI style sheets do not require some tex system then I am
    mistaken. But I am still unable to get them to work. The html sheets
    work fine. Whenever I try to use a pdf processor I get errors:

    FOP:

    [Fatal Error] tei-struct.xsl:1172:83: The prefix "fotex" for attribute
    "fotex:column-align" is not bound.
    [ERROR[ javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException: ... etc.

    AltSoft:

    Gives me the error $ReadColSpecFile$ variable not defined.

    I wonder if there is something I need to configure to get this working.
    That was another part of my motivation to write my own style sheets.

    Thanks,

    Jeremy

    Jeremy Porter, Apr 22, 2005
  6. http://www.tei-c.org/Stylesheets/teixsl.xml.ID=body.1_div.6
    It's true that the documentation does say
    These style sheets were developed for use with PassiveTeX
    but I wouldn't expect that to be too much of a problem passivetex is
    pretty much written to process standard fo files. Like other FO systems
    it does have some extensions in it's own namespace (the fotex prefix).

    You appear to be falling foul of
    <fo:table-column column-number="1" fotex:column-align="r"
    column-width="" />
    (from tei-special.xsl) or a similar construct elsewhare.

    I was going to say that FO engines should ignore attributes in
    namespaces that they don't recognise, but your posting indicates that
    they don't and I just searched the xsl spec and didn't see any anything
    to justify that belief...

    these fotex attributes give the tex engine some extra hints on layout,
    but just deleting them from your copy of the stylesheet should work in
    most cases as far as I can see looking just now (I hadn't actually
    looked recently otherwise I'd have mentioned this before, sorry)

    David

    David Carlisle, Apr 22, 2005
  7. David Carlisle wrote:
    > http://www.tei-c.org/Stylesheets/teixsl.xml.ID=body.1_div.6
    > It's true that the documentation does say
    > These style sheets were developed for use with PassiveTeX
    > but I wouldn't expect that to be too much of a problem passivetex is
    > pretty much written to process standard fo files. Like other FO

    systems
    > it does have some extensions in it's own namespace (the fotex

    prefix).

    > You appear to be falling foul of
    > <fo:table-column column-number="1" fotex:column-align="r"
    > column-width="" />
    > (from tei-special.xsl) or a similar construct elsewhare.
    >
    > I was going to say that FO engines should ignore attributes in
    > namespaces that they don't recognise, but your posting indicates that
    > they don't and I just searched the xsl spec and didn't see any

    anything
    > to justify that belief...
    >
    > these fotex attributes give the tex engine some extra hints on

    layout,
    > but just deleting them from your copy of the stylesheet should work

    in
    > most cases as far as I can see looking just now (I hadn't actually
    > looked recently otherwise I'd have mentioned this before, sorry)
    >

    > David

    No, need to apologize. Thank you for your help! I've got basic TEI
    working for converting xml to pdf using altsoft's xml2pdf. FOP lacks
    some features that I require currently, but maybe in the future it will
    do what I need!

    I have a number of questions regarding the TEI style sheets:

    1) How can I get footnotes with multiple <p> elements working? In my
    output I get:

    1.
    Footnote text in <p>.
    more text in another <p>

    Instead of:

    1. Footnote text.
    more text in another <p>.

    2) How can I adjust the TOC hyperlinks to extend to the text entry as
    well as the numeric entry?

    I have currently:

    Chapter 1...1
    but only the page number 1 is active as a link.

    3) How can I manage chapter numbers in TEI? I looked around in the
    documentation and didn't see anything specific on chapter numbers aside
    from the n attribute. If I use the n attribute that works great for
    chapters with numbers, but what about chapters without numbers? If I
    leave n blank in the chapter heading I get ". Chapter Heading" which
    doesn't look quite right! I see several references to things I think I
    may want to customize in tecommon.xsl. I'm not sure which ones to start
    with!

    4) How can I prevent page numbers from appearing in the header and
    footer of the same page?

    Perhaps there is some other documentation that I'm not aware of with
    XSL TEI that will answer these kind of questions? It's really some good
    stuff--I just don't know how to use it all!

    Thanks,

    Jeremy

    Jeremy Porter, May 14, 2005