Tell nsgmls where to find a schema

Discussion in 'XML' started by ali100, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. ali100

    ali100 Guest

    Apologies for the basic (!) nature of this question but I just
    have not been able to find an answer to my problem after several
    googling sessions.

    I want to use nsglms to parse an xml file against a public schema
    but I cannot seem to get the parser to read the schema on my local
    system.

    When parsing against a DTD I always have a line in the individual
    xml files something like

    <!DOCTYPE production SYSTEM "c:\LocalPath\my.dtd">

    Trying something similar for the schema, i.e.,

    <...xsi:schemaLocation="c:\LocalPath\my.xsd">

    does not work and nsgmls reports the error

    nsgmls:... no document type declaration; will parse without
    validation

    My nsglms command line is

    nsgmls -E0 -w xml -c\LocalPath\xml.soc -s -f errors.out
    myfile.xml

    Maybe I need something else on the command line?

    I would be grateful for any suggestions.
    ali100, Jan 18, 2006

  2. ali100 wrote:

    > I want to use nsglms to parse an xml file against a public schema
    > but I cannot seem to get the parser to read the schema on my local
    > system.

    nsgmls does not do validation against W3C XMLSchema. And it's not very
    good at parsing XML in general.
    --
    Johannes Koch
    (Te Deum, 4th cent.)
    Johannes Koch, Jan 18, 2006

  3. ali100

    ali100 Guest

    aah... no wonder I was having problems.

    Can you/anyone recommend a stand alone parser that will perform the
    task I described?

    Or will I need something like xerces (which looks far more involved in
    setting up and getting to run from the command line)

    I am on a win XP machine.

    Thanks for any help.
    ali100, Jan 18, 2006
  4. ali100 wrote:

    > Can you/anyone recommend a stand alone parser that will perform the
    > task I described?
    >
    > Or will I need something like xerces (which looks far more involved in
    > setting up and getting to run from the command line)

    I use Xerces in my applications. But other people use different tools.
    Henry S. Thompson seems to use XSV.
    --
    Johannes Koch
    (Te Deum, 4th cent.)
    Johannes Koch, Jan 19, 2006
  5. The public W3C XML Schema home page [1] has an extensive listing of
    tools including validators.

    ht

    [1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema.html
    Half-time member of W3C Team