Tell nsgmls where to find a schema

ali100

Apologies for the basic (!) nature of this question but I just
have not been able to find an answer to my problem after several
googling sessions.

I want to use nsglms to parse an xml file against a public schema
but I cannot seem to get the parser to read the schema on my local
system.

When parsing against a DTD I always have a line in the individual
xml files something like

<!DOCTYPE production SYSTEM "c:\LocalPath\my.dtd">

Trying something similar for the schema, i.e.,

<...xsi:schemaLocation="c:\LocalPath\my.xsd">

does not work and nsgmls reports the error

nsgmls:... no document type declaration; will parse without
validation

My nsglms command line is

nsgmls -E0 -w xml -c\LocalPath\xml.soc -s -f errors.out
myfile.xml

Maybe I need something else on the command line?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Johannes Koch

ali100 said:
I want to use nsglms to parse an xml file against a public schema
but I cannot seem to get the parser to read the schema on my local
system.

nsgmls does not do validation against W3C XMLSchema. And it's not very
good at parsing XML in general.

ali100

aah... no wonder I was having problems.

Can you/anyone recommend a stand alone parser that will perform the
task I described?

Or will I need something like xerces (which looks far more involved in
setting up and getting to run from the command line)

I am on a win XP machine.

Thanks for any help.

Johannes Koch

ali100 said:
Can you/anyone recommend a stand alone parser that will perform the
task I described?

Or will I need something like xerces (which looks far more involved in
setting up and getting to run from the command line)

I use Xerces in my applications. But other people use different tools.
Henry S. Thompson seems to use XSV.

Henry S. Thompson

The public W3C XML Schema home page [1] has an extensive listing of
tools including validators.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema.html
Half-time member of W3C Team
Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: (e-mail address removed)