Temp file confusion

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Birch Plain, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. Birch Plain

    Birch Plain Guest

    When I make amendments to my web site and up-load the
    files, my browser keeps showing the old un-amended
    files.
    I have cleared every temp file that I can find, to no
    avail.
    I even downloaded several programs which clean the temp
    folders...still no good.

    I am using Internet Explorer ver6 with all the up-dates
    from Microsoft.
    I know the newer files are being up-loaded, as I have
    gone so far as to down-load them again, and they are the
    newer files.
    What am I missing here ?

    Thnx.
    --
    Graphics downloads at
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/kevinmac

    Birch Plain, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Birch Plain

    Richard Guest

    Birch Plain wrote:

    > When I make amendments to my web site and up-load the
    > files, my browser keeps showing the old un-amended
    > files.
    > I have cleared every temp file that I can find, to no
    > avail.
    > I even downloaded several programs which clean the temp
    > folders...still no good.

    > I am using Internet Explorer ver6 with all the up-dates
    > from Microsoft.
    > I know the newer files are being up-loaded, as I have
    > gone so far as to down-load them again, and they are the
    > newer files.
    > What am I missing here ?

    > Thnx.
    > --
    > Graphics downloads at
    > http://www.members.shaw.ca/kevinmac

    The simplest and most thorough way is to go to tools/internet options.
    On the general tab, click the "clear temp internet files" button and let it
    do the job.
    The other thing you can do is to make sure your local folders are named
    slightly different.
    What's happening is your local files are being called on because of the
    coding.
    Once you have the page done, move all your files to another folder or rename
    the folder so it is not called.

    Richard, Oct 25, 2003

  3. Birch Plain

    rf Guest

    "Birch Plain" <> wrote in message
    > When I make amendments to my web site and up-load the
    > files, my browser keeps showing the old un-amended
    > files.
    > I have cleared every temp file that I can find, to no
    > avail.
    > I even downloaded several programs which clean the temp
    > folders...still no good.
    >
    > I am using Internet Explorer ver6 with all the up-dates
    > from Microsoft.
    > I know the newer files are being up-loaded, as I have
    > gone so far as to down-load them again, and they are the
    > newer files.
    > What am I missing here ?

    Someone, somewhere is caching the files. Are there any proxy servers between
    you and your host?

    Try leaning Ctrl as you refresh the pages.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Birch Plain pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > When I make amendments to my web site and up-load the

    > I am using Internet Explorer ver6 with all the up-dates
    > from Microsoft.

    Is this the site in your sig? ( http://www.members.shaw.ca/kevinmac/ )
    Very nice, except you should check it with a Gecko browser. The menu box
    overlays the content box in Firebird or Netscape 7. Ok in Opera 7. W2K.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 25, 2003
  5. Birch Plain

    Marc Nadeau Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty a écrit:

    > Birch Plain pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    >> When I make amendments to my web site and up-load the

    >> I am using Internet Explorer ver6 with all the up-dates
    >> from Microsoft.

    > Is this the site in your sig? ( http://www.members.shaw.ca/kevinmac/ )
    > Very nice, except you should check it with a Gecko browser. The menu box
    > overlays the content box in Firebird or Netscape 7. Ok in Opera 7. W2K.

    Same problem in konqueror.

    --
    Marc Nadeau
    La Pagerie

    Marc Nadeau, Oct 26, 2003
  6. Birch Plain

    Birch Plain Guest

    In article <MPG.1a03a02acb15fee8989699@shawnews>,
    says...
    > When I make amendments to my web site and up-load the
    > files, my browser keeps showing the old un-amended
    > files.
    > <Snip>

    Thanks for the replies and helpful hints.
    Will look into as per suggestions.

    Birch Plain, Oct 29, 2003