template specialization in member function

John

I have a class

class x{

public:

template<typename X>
friend X func(X a){

// I would also want to write the following

template< >
friend double func<double>(double a){

Can someone help on what i am doing wrong?

Thanks,
--j

Karthik Kumar

John said:
I have a class

class x{

public:

template<typename X>
friend X func(X a){

Post a compilable code here to clarify
your question.
// I would also want to write the following

template< >
friend double func<double>(double a){

'friend' appears in the declaration of a function,
and not in the definition of the function.

Also this friend function does not seems to take
any user-defined data types. It just takes a 'double'.
'friend' functions are used to access *all the members*
of a given class.

While there is nothing wrong with this as far as the
grammar of the language is concerned, you may need
to revisit this anyway, if this is what you intend to
write.

Can someone help on what i am doing wrong?

Post code.