template type only known at runtime

Ralf Goertz

Hi,

I want to do able to declare an object bar of a templated class foo
where the actual template type of foo is only know at runtime:

-----

#include <string>

template <class T> class foo {
T x;
public:
void do_something_depending_on_type_of_T(){

};
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
if (argc==1) //default type string should be used
foo<std::string> bar;
else //use class int
foo<int> bar;
bar.do_something_depending_on_type_of_T();
return 0;

Leandro Melo

Hi,

I want to do able to declare an object bar of a templated class foo
where the actual template type of foo is only know at runtime:

-----

#include <string>

template <class T> class foo {
    T x;
public:
    void do_something_depending_on_type_of_T(){

    };

}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
    if (argc==1) //default type string should be used
        foo<std::string> bar;
    else //use class int
        foo<int> bar;
    bar.do_something_depending_on_type_of_T();
    return 0;

}

Template based code is constructed at compile time (static
polymorphism). If you need dynamic polymorphism use virtual functions.
However, your code has a general C++ problem (not specific to
templates). The line bar.do_something_depending_on_type_of_T(); will
generate an error because bar is undefined. This would happen even if
bar was not a template.

I don't know if this is the best design for you. But the closest I can
get to it is through template specialization:

emplate <class T> class foo
{
public:
void do_something()
{} //You don't need trailing semi-colon here.
}; //You need it here though.

template <> class foo<std::string>
{
public:
void do_something()
{ /*Implementation for string */ }
};

template <> class foo<int>
{
public:
void do_something()
{ /*Implementation for int */ }
};

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
foo<std::string> stringBar;
foo<int> intBar;
if (argc==1)
stringBar.do_something();
else
intBar.do_something();
return 0;

maverik

I know it doesn't work like this but is it possible at all?

It wouldn't work even if you solve your problems with templates
because of scoping:
int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
if (argc==1) //default type string should be used
foo<std::string> bar;
else //use class int
foo<int> bar;
bar.do_something_depending_on_type_of_T();

bar is undefined here (out of scope).

maverik

Hi,

I want to do able to declare an object bar of a templated class foo
where the actual template type of foo is only know at runtime:

The most painless solution I think looks like:

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
    if (argc == 1) {
        foo<std::string> bar;
bar.do_something_depending_on_type_of_T();
} else {
        foo<int> bar;
bar.do_something_depending_on_type_of_T();
}
    return 0;
}

Of course, may be a better solution also exists.

Ralf Goertz

maverik said:
It wouldn't work even if you solve your problems with templates
because of scoping:

I know about the scoping problem. The code was just there to illustrate
what I want which was hard for me to describe in prose. The problem is
similar to one I had a year ago or so. I had wanted to create a
reference to cin or an ifstream object depending on how the program was
invoked. At that time I was wondering why C++ didn't have a deferred
intialization feature for references like

istream &config;
ifstream ifs;
if (config_is_read_from_cin) config=cin; else config=ifs;

It can be done with pointers why not with references. Anyway, it seems I
have to use the apprach you gave in the other posting, thanks, also to
Leandro.

Ralf

Ralf Goertz

Hendrik said:
If the type is only known at run-time, you need run-time
polymorphy, which is done using virtual functions and
inheritance. However, that doesn't mean you can't use
templates at all:

class foo_base {
public: virtual void do_something_depending_on_type_of_T() = 0; };
virtual void do_something_depending_on_type_of_T() = 0;
};

template< typename T >
class foo : public foo_base {
public:
virtual void do_something_depending_on_type_of_T() {}
};

Actually, I just need two different types for the template,
foo<std::string> and foo<int>. The only difference is the id type I get
from a database, it can be either integer or char and is known only at
runtime. If it is numeric I still have to do some calculations with it
(so I can't just sql-cast it to char and use std::string in my program).
Also, the way of writing back the data to the db differs because of
quoting. "id" must be part of the class as I also need it for
std::map<T,double> within class foo. But wrapping it in another template
function as you also suggested seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for the ternary ?: suggestion in the other posting!

Ralf